Cheap Chinese HT

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Dave,

Thanks, there is some very good info in there. I am glad there are people like you who understand all this stuff. It starts making my head hurt after a few pages. No excuse though for not knowing the rules that govern HAM operation.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Certification or a Declaration of Conformity and the part 15 certification are basically the same thing. Most FCC certifications are actually done by 3rd party testing labs so the FCC type accepted go away but the "part 15" certification requirements dont. You also still are required to get an FCC-ID for your radio, this is granted based on the 3rd party testing documents. You will NOT find any part 97 certified radio because its are not required. You will find Part 15 certifications on ham gear.
Below s a part 15 cert info from a an alinco HT. You will find similar part 15 certifications on ALL recent vintage ham radios. Certifications as I have said in the past are for manufacture, import and sale within the US. Once you leave the ham bands then Service specific certifications is required within the ham bands you will need part 15 compliance.

"The following Application for FCC Type Certification of a Scanning Receiver is prepared on behalf of
Alinco, Inc. in accordance with Part 2, and Part 15, Subparts A and B of the Federal Communications
Commissions rules and regulations and Industry Canada RSS-210. The Equipment Under Test (EUT)
was the DJ-196T, FCC ID: EUGDJ-196T. The test results reported in this document relate only to the
item that was tested.

Ham even building there own gear must meet spectral purity requirements but as long as the volume of production is low can self certify. If your manufacturing larger volumes then you need certifications. Check out any new radio ad in the ham mags, usually there is a disclaimer that the radio is not being offered for sale until certifications is received.
"

Last edited:

frgtwn

Adventurer
Budget Radio?

A few more dollars will buy you a radio from your friendly US retailer. How "bout a hundred bucks?

Icom ICV8 (Which the OP owns.)

Alinco DJ175T (@ $99.99)

Not included is shipping or tax, but neither are the above mentioned legal questions.

I have no experience with either radio, just throwing this out.

Dale

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I ended up getting both the 777 and the 888. They are really nice little radios for the price with lots of functions and are very intuitiveexcept for one little thing, I have know idea how to get them to work through a repeater. I followed the directions and no go. They are both very powerfull on simplex and both pick up repeater traffic but for the life of me I cannot talk through a repeater. I set the PL and have the right offset. I am the first to admit I dont know much about HAM radios but I can figure out the basics. My Icom and Yaesu both transmit through the 777 and 888 but I just cant get either to go through the repeater.

I ended up using them in the desert last week in simplex and they did just as good as my othr radios. I need to sit down with a HAM who really knows radios to find the problem. I am sure it's operator error.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I am betting your not setting the transmitter offset on the radio correctly.
If you can hear the Chinese radio on the Icom when you transmit then your not on the correct freq for the repeater.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I am betting your not setting the transmitter offset on the radio correctly.
If you can hear the Chinese radio on the Icom when you transmit then your not on the correct freq for the repeater.
This would be my guess, since it might not have automatic (or even correct) offsets for the USA, so it's not getting the (+) or (-) offset right or even the frequency offset right. The offsets are not the same around the world and it might not have the right firmware for our market.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
This would be my guess, since it might not have automatic (or even correct) offsets for the USA, so it's not getting the (+) or (-) offset right or even the frequency offset right. The offsets are not the same around the world and it might not have the right firmware for our market.

I am setting the plus or minus according to the repeater, are you saying a + offset might be a - offset because of the radios firmware? If I can get them to work with the repeaters they will be more than worth the money, they are such great little radios, very impressed.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I am setting the plus or minus according to the repeater, are you saying a + offset might be a - offset because of the radios firmware? If I can get them to work with the repeaters they will be more than worth the money, they are such great little radios, very impressed.
You might be doing it correctly, I was just thinking out loud that sometimes radios designed for other markets don't automatically do the correct positive or negative offset or might have a different offset frequency. For example, I understand that if you freeband most radios the firmware doesn't do auto repeater offset for you anymore because in an open mode there is no default band plan that is universal for all places in the world.

If it seems you are doing the right plus or minus 600KHz on the repeater you want, then it certainly might not be that. Next to check would be that you are doing a CTCSS tone on your TX for the repeater. There's not much else you gotta do to use the repeater.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Not having used them, you would need to check the manual to make sure the offsets are correct. You can check the offset by using your icom and listening on the transmit freq. For example. If your listening on 147.24 the standard ham radio offset would put the input at 147.84. Your radio should be set to receive .24 and should transmit on .84. Normally the 147 range are plus 600 and the 146 are negative 600. The 145 can be both and all can have oddball offsets on rare occasion.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
UPDATE: I have been using these radios for nearly a year in all conditions and have been very pleased with them, so much so that my Yaesu and Icom are getting used less and less.

The Puxing PX888 is my favorite, it's light, intuitive controls and receives FM radio frequencies. Because it's so light I throw it in my Camelback pack while mountain biking and listen to my favorite country station while riding and keep in touch with my wife through a local repeater if needed.

I initially purchased these radios to use on trips with multiple vehicles and loan them to friends, if they broke they were cheap and no big loss. Well my opinion is much different now and I loan out my Icom and Yaesu to friends and keep the Puxing for myself.

As you can tell I am very pleased. Great little radios.

Hedge

Adventurer
I see that there was initially a bit of difficulty using them with repeaters. Was the solution simple?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I see that there was initially a bit of difficulty using them with repeaters. Was the solution simple?

Very interested in the above as well. If the prices still hold and I can do HAM for under $100, I may just go ahead and do this mod in the next few weeks.

-Sam

xtatik

Explorer
Very interested in the above as well. If the prices still hold and I can do HAM for under $100, I may just go ahead and do this mod in the next few weeks.

-Sam

Well, this will allow you to "do HAM" at an entry level. If you're interested in amateur radio as a "mod" to your truck and strictly for offroad use, you might save up some add'l bucks and look at mobile rigs instead. In any case, good luck on your test and be sure to post up your callsign when you get it.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Well, this will allow you to "do HAM" at an entry level. If you're interested in amateur radio as a "mod" to your truck and strictly for offroad use, you might save up some add'l bucks and look at mobile rigs instead. In any case, good luck on your test and be sure to post up your callsign when you get it.

Agreed, from what I've read on here for an entry level its better to not go handheld. Been scouring craigslist, next step is an upcoming HAM flea market.

Thanks
Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears