Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Xterabl

Adventurer
Darthbeaver, thanks for the great find!
I'm especially interested in this:
http://www.edgestar.com/Temperature...oor_Appliances-Portable_Fridge_Freezers-Parts

I'm curious if this temp controller can be made to work with the Danfoss BD35F compressor. A while back I picked up a BD35F + evaporator for pretty cheap on ebay (like $150 IIRC), with the intention of someday building my own fridge/freezer. In my research, I've found that these digital temperature controllers are quite expensive...something like $100-$150 for non-variable compressor speed, and 200-300 for variable compressor speed (helps reduce power consumption). These are mostly sold for marine fridge applications....
I also have a spare Edgestar AC->DC converter I can use that was mistakenly sent to me due to mistake by tech. support when i was having problems with my 43 Qt.

Since the Edgestar compressor is a Chinese near-carbon copy of the BD35F, I guess there's a chance. At $48, I guess it's definitely worth considering....

Thanks again!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I had a successful weekend camping trip with my 43qt Edgestar (if you don't count the thunderstorms). I ended up taking a separate deep cycle Group 31 battery. In 24 hours, the voltage dropped from about 12.9 to 12.5. I'm still a bit leary of running it off my starting battery. I'm starting to think, however, that running off a second, non-vehicle battery may be the way to go. With my cargo drawers, the fridge sits pretty high and it isn't that convenient to go into the car all the time to get stuff from the fridge. I'm kinda liking the idea of just getting a battery box and leaving the battery and fridge outside in the campsite, just as I would with a cooler.

desertrover

Adventurer
Just ordered a second 86qt for $427 scratch and dent. I think it was the last one though. I got my current 86qt open box for $450 over a year ago, and it's still ticking. I leave it running 24/7. First fridge was DOA, but only needed to have the control panel connector reattached. Now I'l have a fridge and a freezer in my rig!

DarthBeaver

Adventurer
Hi Darthbeaver ,

How do you like the 86 quart ? Why do you want the 63 quart ?

Dave

I love the 86qt. everyone calls it the body body b/c its big enough to hide a body in... however it is big. takes up 2/3 of the rear seat area in the Discovery.

Its great for long trips, more than one person... etc. but its BIG. the 63qt would be much more space efficient. My plan is to move the 86qt to the expo trailer and use a 63qt in the rig.

I think for an "in rig" fridge the 63qt better meets my general needs for space/usability...

Disclaimer: I used the 86qt on 2 trips before it died on me. it threw an oc error which EdgeStar diagnosed as a temp control module. They sent me one and it did NOT fix the issue. Upon the second call EdgeStar determined it was not cost effective for them to try further repairs and refunded my money. They also let me keep the "dead" box. I was able to diagnose the issue as a temp sensor issue using a friends 43qt. I have ordered a new temp sensor and will report install findings here. so why a disclaimer... well I basically ordered a SnD and after two trips it died. EdgeStar tried to fix and refunded my money. So I basically had a failure and didnt want it to go "unsaid"...

Still love the damn thing though... :)

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Prior to buying my fridge, I had placed an order for a 63qt that happened to be listed. It ended up being cancelled because I guess they couldn't fix it (it was a SnD or refurb). But I noticed that PROPORTIONALLY, the bigger ones are actually a bit more efficient. It seems the compressor/brain area is the same size on the 43qt vs the 63 qt, so the added dimensions of the 63qt result in 100% added usable space. A part of me kinda wishes I held out for a 63 qt . . .

I think the 43qt has plenty of space - provided you're judicious with your drinks. Plus, I prefer my beer out of bottles which isn't the most efficient use of space.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
On warm sunny days if the car is closed up the fridge cant handle it since Im sure it get over 150 deg in the car when sealed(heat exchanged cant exchange heat lol). I want to figure out a way for the heat to vent without leaving the vehicle to open for theft. i have been pondering a tube from the vents that would pull outside air and blow it across the heat exchanger. I haven't figured out how that will work but the idea is brewing. mainly since the vents are made for air to exit the vehicle not enter.

Like today at 3:30 I checked my car and the volts are 12.3 and the fridge was 55 deg. I cracked all the windows and ill check it out in about 30 min to see if that will be good enough.

I still need to insulate it with the reflector tape, Im sure that will help greatly.

YukonRob

Adventurer
I want to figure out a way for the heat to vent without leaving the vehicle to open for theft. i have been pondering a tube from the vents that would pull outside air and blow it across the heat exchanger. I haven't figured out how that will work but the idea is brewing.

A solar powered vent fan perhaps, or some modification of a similar product?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V483UM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000QGGY9E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KHVC5E84BA5A5WAXKCZ

TimS

Adventurer
Hey everyone. I have the edgestar 63qt. I've searched around but found very little info about the display. Mine is showing 5c . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Hey everyone. I have the edgestar 63qt. I've searched around but found very little info about the display. Mine is showing 5c . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Have you pulled the side panel off and checked to make sure all the wires are connected solidly?

desertrover

Adventurer
CaliMobber, Is that 150 an actual thermometer reading? Wouldn't be surprising with the weather out here.. I set one of my edgestars all the way cold to use as a freezer, and it runs nonstop. It seems to be good for 90-95 degrees colder than the ambient temperature, which would seem in line with your 150/55. Running a small powered vent, the unit maintains low teens when it's 110 outside, but the vent area of the fridge is so much hotter than that I'm considering adding a pair of computer fans to improve airflow over the condenser. The other issue is running the compressor at 100 duty cycle from about 7:30 am till midnight really takes a toll on the batteries.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
CaliMobber, Is that 150 an actual thermometer reading? Wouldn't be surprising with the weather out here.. I set one of my edgestars all the way cold to use as a freezer, and it runs nonstop. It seems to be good for 90-95 degrees colder than the ambient temperature, which would seem in line with your 150/55. Running a small powered vent, the unit maintains low teens when it's 110 outside, but the vent area of the fridge is so much hotter than that I'm considering adding a pair of computer fans to improve airflow over the condenser. The other issue is running the compressor at 100 duty cycle from about 7:30 am till midnight really takes a toll on the batteries.

That was just a guess, Its been like 90F+ out here for past weeks. With a Black 4runner all sealed up it gets crazy hot inside. I was thinking same kinda thing with the computer fan idea. They actually make a few 120mm fans(same size as one in fridge) that come with a controller knob to control the speed of the fan, Be cool to turn fan to max speed when it needs to cool faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179