Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Edgestar 43 fridge

I have had mine for 2 mos. now and it works flawlessly (it got bumped around on a ride in VT in the early fall at the NE overland Expo and has a scratch on the back, now have a better way to mount/secure it) can't wait till my trip to MOAB spring of 2012, no more ice messes!!!!! cold beer/water, eggs, cheese, etc. all the good stuff!!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Does anyone have pics of a stronger replacement of the hinges. My one working hinge is working but Im just curious to see what others used.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Has anyone ever noticed any clunking or rattling coming from within the compressor unit on their Edgestar when moving it around? Both mine and a friend's have a rather noticeable clunk like something's loose in there which is occasionally audible even while driving.
Both units are about 1½ years old and work flawless otherwise (mine will get to 34° from 80° in less than an hour even without using the Fast Freeze). Just wondering if this is normal or something to be concerned with, I don't recall it clunking when it was new (maybe I just never noticed it before :confused: ).

I skimmed over the last 25 pages or so of the thread, so I apologize if someone's already made this observation earlier.

It was actually this thread that prompted me to buy one lol :D (I think at that time there was only like 40 pages here :Wow1: ).

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Yea mine does that as well. I believe the motors are attached by bungee like cords allowing moment and flexibility since they are used in cars. I think that clunk is just the motor moving around on the bungees. mines almost a year old and its taken its fair share of abuse and its still working strong.

BirfMark

Observer
Yup, mine has a bit of a rattle when going down the road too. I've been meaning to open it up and take a look at it to see what's causing it, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
Naw, it's definitely something that knocks around within the sealed compressor unit itself (it'll make the noise while completely empty just moving it around the house too), so I doubt there's really anything to see or do about it. Seems like it's fairly common, I guess I won't worry about it.
Appreciate the responses. :beer:

Anyone still on the fence about buying a fridge (any fridge)... Just do it! It's been the best piece of gear I've ever bought. No more running around back to civilization every 2-3 days trying to find ice, no more soggy drippy food & condiments, and barely takes up any more room than a medium-size ice chest too. Just be careful of the DC cord that sticks straight out the side though, mine's had the plug busted off 3 times now (gonna swap the jack out and solder a little pigtail lead in there instead).

CaliMobber

Adventurer
x2, on best thing ive bought. I setup 2 yellow tops
in my 4runner and just leave the fridge on 24/7. As long as I drive every day or 2 its fine. after a few days it auto shuts off but still leaves me with enough to start the car back up and recharge the batteries.

munepit

I bought one of these last yr. when they had the scratch and dent sale. When I got it, It didnt work. They refunded me the money and now its just sitting in the garage. Im pretty sure the compressor is shot. Where would I get this repaired? Would a residential equipment appliance company be able to fix it. If I spend $200.00 to fix it, It would be a heck of a deal since I got it for free. Thanks!!

munepit

Here are a couple pics from my phone. I have better ones on my camera. But you will get an idea of what it looks like. Do you think this is fixable at a reasonable price? This is how I got it, but with the cover on. It was a scratch and dent sale, but on the owners manual, there is the name of someone who origanally bought it. They must have returned it and it was restocked. I got jipped on this even though refunded my money.

2011-12-15_19-31-02_474.jpg

2011-12-15_19-31-19_376.jpg

2011-12-15_19-30-48_837.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Holy crap. Id get a picture of one complete and talk to a fridge mechanic. I sure all refrigerators are very similar maybe they can figure something out. Ill try and get you a picture tomorrow.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I'm not sure if I'm following what is wrong? What are the symptoms?

Have you tried playing with the terminals on the white terminal block - on the left? If its not turning on, it may be a bad connection, and a terminal may need to be crimped harder.

munepit

It turns on. It runs and the temp gauge works. The compressor doesn't kick on though. That's why im thinkin its the compressor. All the wires are good and tight.

JamesDowning

Explorer
To clarify, the compressor does not run at all? or it just doesn't get cold?

This is when on 12V, 120V, or both?

Might be worth tracing the continuity of the wires to ensure you're getting power in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman