Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

M

MuddyOval

dude, so did I. :wings:
Now I have this one and so far it seems to be just fine.

texaslawman

Observer
So far so good on the new one. It will get its first real test this weekend on a hunting trip temps should be near 105F and if there are roads they will be rough. Anyone else notice that the 63q is stamped 66q on the back of the unit?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I've had the 43quart model for about 5 months now and it's been out with me on a couple of trips and even the family vacation. Works great! My only dilema so far was a broken 12volt power cord. My dog stepped right on the plug where it plugs into the fridge and snapped it off. I managed to temporarily fix it with duct tape and was able to fix it when I got home. I leave it running 24/7 in the garage to keep my sodas and beer cold. It does seem to run a little louder than when it was new but nothing bothersome. The good thing is that wife is sold on it now after the vacation....no more will I hear, "you spent 400 bucks on a cooler?"....All is good in the hood..

texaslawman

Observer
Ok took the 63q with us on a hog hunting trip. Had it in the truck for 3 100 degree+ days and a bunch of rough roads. Set it at 32 it would climb to 34 then go to 30 which was perfect for our cold drinks. I even added a hot 12pack to see what effect it would have. They were cold and drinkable within 30 min. The truck was mostly parked with 5 and 10 min drives inbetween. Only once did the low power light come on and that was using the on board air compressor to fill the x-jack without the truck running. Only problem we had was the cheesey 12v plug did push its way out twice. As another test I un pluged the fridge Sunday night at aprox 10pm left it sitting in the truck till this morning tues at 8am so 34 hours no power. When I pluged it back in the temp was at 48. This was half full with 12oz cans and a gallon of sweet tea outside temps where highs in the low to mid 90's and low's in the high 70's. We are having a cold front down here. Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Would one of the 43Q owners be able to get a quick dimension for me? I would like to know what is the width of the unit not including the grab handles. I am wondering if I could remove the handles and fit the cooler into an opening which is 24" +.25"/ -0". Is the outside width of the case only less than 24" or more than 24"?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the widest part is at the black plastic lip around the lid, it is 23-5/8 w/o the handles

kilo

So far so good on the new one. It will get its first real test this weekend on a hunting trip temps should be near 105F and if there are roads they will be rough. Anyone else notice that the 63q is stamped 66q on the back of the unit?

Ok took the 63q with us on a hog hunting trip. Had it in the truck for 3 100 degree+ days and a bunch of rough roads. Set it at 32 it would climb to 34 then go to 30 which was perfect for our cold drinks. I even added a hot 12pack to see what effect it would have. They were cold and drinkable within 30 min. The truck was mostly parked with 5 and 10 min drives inbetween. Only once did the low power light come on and that was using the on board air compressor to fill the x-jack without the truck running. Only problem we had was the cheesey 12v plug did push its way out twice. As another test I un pluged the fridge Sunday night at aprox 10pm left it sitting in the truck till this morning tues at 8am so 34 hours no power. When I pluged it back in the temp was at 48. This was half full with 12oz cans and a gallon of sweet tea outside temps where highs in the low to mid 90's and low's in the high 70's. We are having a cold front down here. Hope this helps someone out there.

Everything that lawman has said is 100% right on. I was very impressed with this unit. The quick freeze works GREAT! I'll be getting one myself here real soon!:drool:

Last edited:

sven

Adventurer
Well I finally got to use my Edgestar for 5 days in WV. It worked flawless for me set at 33 degrees. But it broke as soon as we got home. The display still works but the compressor wont kick on, therefore the temp just rises... Im pissed.

Weird thing is that it works fine on AC. I contacted compactappliance.com and they told me to contact edgestar directly. Nobody answered the phone at edgestar so I sent them a customer support ticket through their website. Lets see what happens.

Photog

Explorer
Some of the other posts have shown their electrical connection to be less than tight. Is it possible to open it up, and check the connections?

sven

Adventurer
Well I finally got to use my Edgestar for 5 days in WV. It worked flawless for me set at 33 degrees. But it broke as soon as we got home. The display still works but the compressor wont kick on, therefore the temp just rises... Im pissed.

Weird thing is that it works fine on AC. I contacted compactappliance.com and they told me to contact edgestar directly. Nobody answered the phone at edgestar so I sent them a customer support ticket through their website. Lets see what happens.

OK, the cigarette plug burned out. I think the plug worked itself out and power was arcing at the pin. Totally melted! I replace the end, and its been running now for a few hours on DC.

I will bypass the plug and hard wire it....Lesson learned :sombrero:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Mine did the same thing in my truck's Aux 12v power socket. It blew the truck's fuse first though. The wierd part is if I use the cigg outlet socket...no problems. I too am planning on a custom plug for mine. I have had my edgestar plugged in and running for 3 months straight now with 0 problems.

E9999

Love the site, guys! Great job, good info, good folks. Thanks.

Got the 66 qt.

The cigarette male plug that comes with the unit does indeed have an overly strong spring. It did make itself come out of the West Marine outlet I had installed. And the connection was iffy on the ground side because of differences in location of the prongs. But works fine with an extension that I use (for another potent reason, more later on that).

I'm running a full battery of tests on it to quantify the performance. So far, very good.

One thing already: I've tried to see what the indicated temps on the display correspond to in terms of inside temperature. Obviously, the difference will be a function of the outside ambient temperature. But with an ambience of about 75F, I'm getting 6 F lower inside than indicated with a set temp in the 34-42F indicated range. IOW, if I set my temp to 34F, say, to try to avoid freezing and breaking bottles, I'd get in trouble since it will actually be about 28F inside. To get 34F inside, as is customary for fridges, I'd want to set it to 40F on the display. Good thing is that your fridge -if it does the same thing- is actually cooling more than you might think.
It is worth noting that a difference is normal and indeed to be expected since the probe is inside the wall and not inside the fridge. I'd suggest you check yours too if you want to operate near the freezing point.

added: interestingly, the 6F lower measurement seem to apply all the way to below 0F as well. Easy to remember.
(not true when the compressor has not ran for a while and everything is equilibrated inside, of course)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle