Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
One thing already: I've tried to see what the indicated temps on the display correspond to in terms of inside temperature. Obviously, the difference will be a function of the outside ambient temperature. But with an ambience of about 75F, I'm getting 6 F lower inside than indicated with a set temp in the 34-42F indicated range. IOW, if I set my temp to 34F, say, to try to avoid freezing and breaking bottles, I'd get in trouble since it will actually be about 28F inside. To get 34F inside, as is customary for fridges, I'd want to set it to 40F on the display. Good thing is that your fridge -if it does the same thing- is actually cooling more than you might think.
It is worth noting that a difference is normal and indeed to be expected since the probe is inside the wall and not inside the fridge. I'd suggest you check yours too if you want to operate near the freezing point.
What you are describing is normal. It is explained in detail in post #18 of this thread: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29061

JP

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
so has anyone been running these nonstop since getting one? This looks great for a college students budget. Also does anybody know if you could possibly swap out the feet for engel slidelock feet and use the slidelock???

saburai

Explorer
Yes!

so has anyone been running these nonstop since getting one? This looks great for a college students budget. Also does anybody know if you could possibly swap out the feet for engel slidelock feet and use the slidelock???

I have.
Mostly on AC, a little bit in the XJ. It works flawlessly.
I can't help out with the feet, sorry!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
The numerous problems people are having with the quality and reliability of these fridges.
Please provide some information to substantiate that claim. I'm sure there are a number of people here who would like to have that information to help them in making their decision. I haven't seen any information anywhere to indicate they have any more problems than ARB/Engel. As a matter of fact, they use the same compressor system as the Engel.

JP

saburai

Explorer
Really?

Please provide some information to substantiate that claim. I'm sure there are a number of people here who would like to have that information to help them in making their decision. I haven't seen any information anywhere to indicate they have any more problems than ARB/Engel. As a matter of fact, they use the same compressor system as the Engel.

JP

I'd like to know as well...

6Pins

Adventurer

I've been running one no-stop for 3-4 months in my work shed that doesn't have any insulation. It gets hotter than heck in there, very similar to a car without any A/C. No hiccups.

ExpoMike

We have been running ours non stop for 6 months. Had it in the XJ offroading 3 times, one trip to a meet and greet and the rest of the time in our living room and have been using it for bottles of water. So far not a single complaint.

I do notice the temp swings a little more between a high and low temp when it is closer to empty then full. Fill it with bottles of water and the temp seems to stay within a couple degrees of the set temp.

I am going to make up a hard wired cable for the XJ though, just so I can use my rear added outlet for something else.

Oh, as for price, keep watching, especially near holidays. We got $50 off + an additional 10% + free shipping over the Valentine's Day weekend sale.

texaslawman

Observer
I just got back from a 11 day trip though the passes and backroads of Colorado I have the 63q and it stayed in the low 30s no problems the whole trip!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
The numerous problems people are having with the quality and reliability of these fridges. It seems to be hit and miss whether you get a decent one.

can you tell us what website your reading this on? i think this thread is the biggest discussion anywhere on the web and there have been what, half a dozen reported problems, all of which were easy to fix or taken care of immediately by the company.

the only negative i think one could really draw from this thread is the fit and finish is less than the "other" coolers and they have crappy cig lighter plugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle