Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

HB 4X4

Adventurer
can you tell us what website your reading this on? i think this thread is the biggest discussion anywhere on the web and there have been what, half a dozen reported problems, all of which were easy to fix or taken care of immediately by the company.

the only negative i think one could really draw from this thread is the fit and finish is less than the "other" coolers and they have crappy cig lighter plugs.

Half a dozen problems is enough to deter me. They aren't much cheaper than an Engel or ARB now, so it's not worth the risk IMHO.

If they came back down to the $400 range, I would consider them, but not at over $500.

Big Bear

Observer
They are not over $500 yet if you use this coupon code EDGEFRZ50. They come up to be $449.10 with free shipping. While this is a great deal, I am still having trouble with buying this fridge over an Engel. This is mostly due to the proven track record of the Engels for over 40 years. Not to say that over time this fridge won't have a simular record. Now the real question is, is my piece of mind worth an extra $400. I am on a budget for finishing up my expo rig and I am thinking that money could be better used on other items, but I don't want to replace this fridge in three years either. I think I may have to sit down later and drink about it some more. :beer:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I've been running mine for 3 months now in the garage on A/C and it's been working flawlessly. I have taken it on a couple of multiday trips with no problems other than the plug popping out of the truck's power adapter( I've had no problems with it in the Jackaroo's aux power adapter). The only gripe I had with the fridge was the lack of a tie down point...but I fixed that..
Various021.jpg

I used 16ga steel and was able to use the original screws that hold the handle on. So far they work pretty slick. If I were to build them again I'd probably use thicker steel. These are more than enough to snuggly tie the fridge down but if I am over zelous with the ratchet strap they will bend out slightly..

texaslawman

Observer
Well Im sad to say Im having troubles with mine again. It dose fine on a/c and does fine when the truck is running but as soon as I shut the truck off the fridge stops. I pluged it in a/c last night with aprox 24 water bottles in it took it down to 24 degrees. This morning put it in the truck and by noon it was up to 47degrees set at 34. I have a double 12v plug in the back hard wired to the battery with 10g wire at noon my multimeter read 12.5v. The unit should run at 11.8 per edgestar. As long as the truck is running it works fine. This is the second one that has done this. Anyone have any ideas really dont want to send another back. The compressor kicks on for about 3 seconds then goes off if I unplug and plug it back in.

Last edited:

yubert

Explorer
Are you measuring the voltage under a load? It could be when the fridge kicks on, the voltage drops below 11.8V. Are you sure your batter has enough current?

Perhaps you could determine if it's the AC or DC circuit in the fridge using the "process-of-elimination" and stick a power inverter between the fridge and your truck's DC and see if the fridge will run fine off the inverter's AC.

Well Im sad to say Im having troubles with mine again. It dose fine on a/c and does fine when the truck is running but as soon as I shut the truck off the fridge stops. I pluged it in a/c last night with aprox 24 water bottles in it took it down to 24 degrees. This morning put it in the truck and by noon it was up to 47degrees set at 34. I have a double 12v plug in the back hard wired to the battery with 10g wire at noon my multimeter read 12.5v. The unit should run at 11.8 per edgestar. As long as the truck is running it works fine. This is the second one that has done this. Anyone have any ideas really dont want to send another back. The compressor kicks on for about 3 seconds then goes off if I unplug and plug it back in.

ExpoMike

x10

I won't ever by another one of them. My Sears Platinum (i.e. Odyssey) has been working great and getting very good reviews. I have had 4 different Optimas (both red and yellow top) ones die within 6 month and have yet to get more then 2 years from any of them.

If under load your voltage is dropping to 10.4, there is your problem. Compressor won't stay on at that voltage. Since you say it works fine with the engine running, something with the battery or the gauge wire you are running to the fridge is the problem.

I am running a 10 gauge wire to a distribution point in the back. I run the power socket from that. Been working great. Had it at the Meet and Greet this past Saturday and it ran 10 hours with the engine off, without a hiccup.

XJBANKER

Explorer
How much room is really in one of these? Does anyone have a photo with the inside loaded? I am wondering about My wife, daughter, myself and one on the way. Will there be enough room for Milk gallons? Pop cans, meat ect...

Maybe an Idea of how many cans would fit in one.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
lawman i was having the same problem with mine, i switch between two rigs and have optima red tops in both, i didnt want to replace two batteries so i got a deep cycle lead acid batt and everything works great, the fridge stayed on for almost 4 days in the garage on the battery alone. since i go between two rigs i rigged up a poor mans dual battery set-up so i can take the deep cycle back and forth with the fridge, sounds harder than it is, so far so good.

banker i think a 45 qt fridge is about a 70-80 qt cooler with ice, if you use a bigger one you might want to step up to a bigger fridge. for a family of 4 you want to rethink some of your packing, like if you dont drink the whole gallon camping take a half gallon jug instead. lawman keeps canned drinks on ice in a separate cooler and i keep water in a igloo type water jug so i dont use that space in the fridge. the fridge for us is for foodstuff, milk, coffee creamer, fig newtons, stuff to keep cold but not get wet, or the chance of water ruining it.

Last edited:

texaslawman

Observer
Well I ran 10 guage wire directly to the fused socket so I don't think it's the wire. I called optima they said I needed a yellow top with more cranking amps??? I know it ran fine in my freinds 07 Tacoma with stock battery. I did test it in my f250 with dual batteries and it shut off when not running but thoses batteries are several years old. I have a new interstate battery in a van but i couldn't use it tonight will test it tomm.

texaslawman

Observer
UPDATE

Optima replaced the 1 year old yellow top no problems and I installed it last night. Had the fridge on a/c all night set at 34. This morning I unpluged the a/c and let it switch to d/c the plug was reading 12.9 as soon as the fridge switched on it went to 10.3 not good. Left it sitting there I wont know till this evening after work if it maintained temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle