Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

teotwaki

Excelsior!
UPDATE

Optima replaced the 1 year old yellow top no problems and I installed it last night. Had the fridge on a/c all night set at 34. This morning I unpluged the a/c and let it switch to d/c the plug was reading 12.9 as soon as the fridge switched on it went to 10.3 not good. Left it sitting there I wont know till this evening after work if it maintained temperature.

A few questions:

Was the new battery fully charged?

Have you measured the DC current draw of the fridge? (s/b less than 3 Amps)

Have you double checked the quality of all of the DC wiring connections?

Maybe you have a bad connection that drops the voltage as soon as you pull a couple of amps.

texaslawman

Observer
No I did not check the battery. I did install it and let the truck run for aprox. 30 min's. I wired the socket with 10 guage wire directly to the battery positive, negative is 14 guage grounded where my offroad lights are. I just checked its not keeping the temp it was at 34 at 7:45am now at 12:30p its at 47. I wish it was something besides the fridge because they want me to ship it back to edgestar and repair it this time takes 15 buisness days once they get it. Only thing left to do is try it in another veh. just in case.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
do you happen to have a constant 12V power source, like a battery charger? i'd think if the charger was good for more than 5 amps you could plug the fridge into it and find out if its the 12v circuit or just a weak battery, even though its new.

sven

Adventurer
Texas- Did you remove the cig lighter plug and directy wire it? Or you still usng the edgestar cig lighter plug?

texaslawman

Observer
I have a charger but its on my trailer which is in the shop right now so no access to it. Im still using the edgestar cord ran the wire to a 12v socket the digital readout shows green but the compressor only kicks on for 2 or 3 seconds. I have someone else coming over tonight we are going to try it in his truck see what happens.

sven

Adventurer
Remove the cig lighter plug and just hardwire it. Use an inline fuse of course. This is what solved the same problem on mine.

texaslawman

Observer
Remove the cig lighter plug and just hardwire it. Use an inline fuse of course. This is what solved the same problem on mine.

Well I would but there are a lot of fishing and hunting trips where I ride in other peoples trucks and I would like to be able to take it.

JamesDowning

Explorer
That definitely sounds like a grounding issue.

I had a light that did that too. I checked every wire with a multimeter and everywhere the voltage was right where it should be. The continuity over the ground even seemed fine with a low resistance. Somehow when power was transmitted, the resistance at the ground bolt would skyrocket or something, and the light would never turn on.

I eventually found the fault when I went back through checking everything and tightened the ground bolt. You definitely have a bad connection somewhere, certain of it.

texaslawman

Observer
Ok I got it figured out or at least fixed! There must have been a cut or kink in the negative wire somewhere. I ran a new negative wire same spot same everything and bingo I can now hear the pur of a compressor :wings:. The fridge was 33 this morning when I left for work. On a side note must ave been time for a new battery anyways all lights are brighter and the truck even runs better. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

saburai

Explorer
Great!

Glad to hear it!

Bright lights are good:victory:

Ok I got it figured out or at least fixed! There must have been a cut or kink in the negative wire somewhere. I ran a new negative wire same spot same everything and bingo I can now hear the pur of a compressor :wings:. The fridge was 33 this morning when I left for work. On a side note must ave been time for a new battery anyways all lights are brighter and the truck even runs better. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
right-on,,, and BTW its nice to see another fridge problem that wasnt the fridge,,,, put another check next to the cheap fridge.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Good news and a reminder to all of us to be mindful of the details. Glad that your fridge will now be used in a mobile environment. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78