Cheap Gen 1 Monty: Worth it?

belkar

I've been looking for a cheap 4wd to use as a play and bad weather driving rig. It doesn't need to be a daily driver, but I don't want to wrench on it constantly. I'll be driving it to work a once or twice a week (20 mile round trip). My plan is just to pick up something cheap that I can use as a bit of a beater.

I've found a cheap 1st gen Montero, but it has 227k miles on it. How many more miles should be possible before a rebuild assuming it has been well maintained?

This is the ad: http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1115310?ad_cid=5

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Too many miles to assume anything in my opinion. I would go check it out and look for the usual signs of leaky valve stem seals or the like. Check service records for maintenance. Since it's Utah, check for rust underneath.

For $900 and a running, driving 4x4...I'd say thats a great deal...as long as it doesn't need anything urgently and you don't have to worry about smog checks there.

Getting it to pass smog could be another $500 surprise, you never know.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Looks like a decent deal. Check if they have records of when the timing belt was done or have it done. It's a non-interference engine but having one go out on you is a bit of a pain just because you'd need to get towed.

Also all fluids should be changed per the maintenance cycles.

Last but not least is to confirm the ECU and ISC are in good condition. ISC holds idle high when the engine is cold and otherwise is not used. Only way to tell if there's a problem w/out inspecting it is to start it when the engine is cold and see if the RPM is raised well above 700rpm.

ECU needs to be removed and inspected to confirm no leaking capacitors. If they leak the electrolyte will eat up the main board so it's critical it's in good shape.

Other than that, just basic maintenance should keep you going for a long long time!

belkar

Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I'm looking at it after work today. How much does it cost to replace an ECU?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I'm looking at it after work today. How much does it cost to replace an ECU?
Typically 100 and up (used) but I haven't checked the current pricing/availability via car-part.com.

Also they can usually be repaired (if they haven't been completely eaten up) for quite a bit less.

That said some have found them at local pull it yourself type of part yards for $50 or so.

belkar

Speaking of smog checks, we do have them. What's most likely to cause a failure to pass? Cats are a given possibility. Is there anything specific to the Montero that tends to cause problems?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Usually it's just the Cat is old and has gone bad. This could also be caused by bad valve guide seals (if it smokes after starting when the engine's cold or if warmed up, when you rev the engine right after idling for 3-5 minutes) dumping extra particulate matter from burning oil which clogs the converters.
O2 sensors going bad may also affect this.

Only way to really tell though is to have a test done. If it does fail then you can check the various measurements/readings to help you determine what's bad.

AsphaltCowboy

Looks good from the ad. Only thing I don't like is the 5speed. The automatics are practicly bomb proof in these things while the manuals are so-so. I'm not saying you'll have problems but they're definiely not a strong point. Other than that these things are great vehicles, I've had one for a long time that I use for 4 wheeling and haven't really had any problems other than some of the stuff posted here.

It's about 10 miles away from me. If you want me to go look at it with you I would be happy to help out. I have owned a few in my day. Send me a pm.

Spence

1morebike

Adventurer
Looks good from the ad. Only thing I don't like is the 5speed. The automatics are practicly bomb proof in these things while the manuals are so-so. I'm not saying you'll have problems but they're definiely not a strong point. Other than that these things are great vehicles, I've had one for a long time that I use for 4 wheeling and haven't really had any problems other than some of the stuff posted here.

my 5sp has 274,000 miles on the original transmission as far as i know, its still decent ...except in first, second, and third.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior