Check out the rare ford I just bought and conversion question

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The first gen Dodge Cummins were from 89-93 and had the Getrag 5 speed trans with the right hand drop NP205 transfercase, the Cummins had a Bosch VE pump on these. The second gen Dodges were from 94-02 and had a NV4500 five speed for the most part with a left hand drop NP241 transfercase. The Cummins had the Bosch P7100 pump until 98.5 and then they switched to an electronic VP44 pump. If I remember correctly you can bolt a NV4500 up in place of a Getrag with minor modifications. Advance Adaptors has a good section on it. I can't remember for sure if you have to switch the engine adaptor plate or not. A lot of times when the Getrag broke it got replaced with a NV4500 due to the cost and lack of Getrag parts. Make sure you fix the fifth gear nut backing off problem with the Dodge NV4500's.

For $2k you could buy that for the trans/t-case, part the rest out and probably make money on it. The balljoint frontends aren't bad just plan on doing balljoints every 100k or so. How come it doesn't have an intercooler? They came from the factory with them. The dually should have a Dana 80 rear and 60 front.

rebar

Adventurer
The first gen Dodge Cummins were from 89-93 and had the Getrag 5 speed trans with the right hand drop NP205 transfercase, the Cummins had a Bosch VE pump on these. The second gen Dodges were from 94-02 and had a NV4500 five speed for the most part with a left hand drop NP241 transfercase. The Cummins had the Bosch P7100 pump until 98.5 and then they switched to an electronic VP44 pump. If I remember correctly you can bolt a NV4500 up in place of a Getrag with minor modifications. Advance Adaptors has a good section on it. I can't remember for sure if you have to switch the engine adaptor plate or not. A lot of times when the Getrag broke it got replaced with a NV4500 due to the cost and lack of Getrag parts. Make sure you fix the fifth gear nut backing off problem with the Dodge NV4500's.

For $2k you could buy that for the trans/t-case, part the rest out and probably make money on it. The balljoint frontends aren't bad just plan on doing balljoints every 100k or so. How come it doesn't have an intercooler? They came from the factory with them. The dually should have a Dana 80 rear and 60 front.

Thanks! Here I am thinking I need a np205 when actually I need a NP241? lol 5th gear already popped off and fixed.

The cummins parts truck's IC got robbed by the seller. Said "thats all he wanted" making me wonder about the condition of the 300k + motor etc. But its all there cept the IC 2k asking

rebar

Adventurer
Question about front 4x4 axles under E350's..

Would a 97 dodge dually front BJ D60 driverside drop work under the E350? I was told spacers could be removed to run stock wheels.

I keep reading about F350 D60's up front.. Is that the most painless, or only option? Any years I should stay away from? Preferred years?

Oh.. Mechanical fan on the cummins..

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
divorced Tcases are to be avoided at all costs if there is the option.

I agree. And there's no room for one on the E series due to the fuel tank location.

Question about front 4x4 axles under E350's..

I keep reading about F350 D60's up front.. Is that the most painless, or only option? Any years I should stay away from? Preferred years?

You have options. If you want to make all of your own front suspension you can use whatever axle you like. If you want to use my kit, it needs a 99-04 F250/F350 or Excursion front axle.

rebar

Adventurer
You have options. If you want to make all of your own front suspension you can use whatever axle you like. If you want to use my kit, it needs a 99-04 F250/F350 or Excursion front axle.

Thanks Chris.

I need to keep my van low for towing and don't want to modify any wheel openings other than the front bumper. I'd better decide which rim and tire I want to run before deciding on which front axle. Thinking 265/75-16's. Or can I go bigger but still tow ok if I relocate the front axle forward?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I am not sure you can run a front axle with the low stance you are talking about. Even with a 6" lift the front crossmember needs to be trimmed to clear the diff. I have to imagine that a 4" lift is the minimum. UJOR's smallest lift is at 4". I think Sportsmobiles are sitting at 4" as well.

rebar

Adventurer
I am not sure you can run a front axle with the low stance you are talking about. Even with a 6" lift the front crossmember needs to be trimmed to clear the diff. I have to imagine that a 4" lift is the minimum. UJOR's smallest lift is at 4". I think Sportsmobiles are sitting at 4" as well.

I'm sure Id be fine towing 10k# with 4", or maybe even a 6" lift. The front needs 3" just to be level anyway.

Just saying, I'm keeping the van as low as possible with a front axle under it and guessing 265/75 16's would be a decent choice. Looking for a suitable axle and grayhound ticket's keeping me busy.

And not having any dimensions to know what ford did with D60's over the years casts a shadow of doubt on every year except 99-04 F250/F350 since Chris uses them. I'm assuming the stance or width of those 99-04 D60's have the same stance as the stock econoline? Did the stance of kingpin's pre 1991 change in 92 when they went ball joint?

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The WMS to WMS didn't change much over the years, but the spring pad and knuckle type did. The 99-04 has a 38" width which sits well under the E series chassis. ABS, and the fact that you can source them easily makes them the perfect choice.

And yes, 4" is our minimum lift and that will clear a 33" tire. No fender mods, bumper trimming.

rebar

Adventurer
The WMS to WMS didn't change much over the years, but the spring pad and knuckle type did. The 99-04 has a 38" width which sits well under the E series chassis. ABS, and the fact that you can source them easily makes them the perfect choice.

And yes, 4" is our minimum lift and that will clear a 33" tire. No fender mods, bumper trimming.

Thanks again.. WMS is the term I was missing.
38" for the leaf span? Kind of coming together because a local fellow with a few 99 F350 D60 axles for sale said E350 was 2" wider and Id have to move hangers or perches.. He bought the F350 wreck to do his e350 4x4, but changed direction.

I also need to look into these 255-85-16 All Terrains load range E tires Iv just read about. Are those the preferred as of lately?

==

F250 78-79 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 31.5")
F350 78-79 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 31.5")
F350 '85-'91.5 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 36.5")
F350 '92-'99 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, balljoint, spring span: 36.5")

Jakey

Chris' kit is the way to go for DIY, it's pretty straightforward and the axles are plentiful compared to the older models.
I don't have his kit, but have a Dana 50 and 10.5 under my van with OEM Ford alloy wheels and 255/85R16 Tires
The width is perfectly suited to a van.

Which brand of tire are you looking at? The Off Brand Trail Cutter 285/75R16 "D" A/T and Cooper 265/75R16 S/T Tires had better handling and road grip compared to the current 255/85R16 "E" BFG M/T
The 285s on OEM wheels are sliding door friendly.

4" of Lift won't make handling bad during trailer towing, Having a Standard Length van is the best trailering asset, unlike a Supervan with it's quirky polar momentum.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Does that require crossmember modification? When you spec 4" lift is that from the center of the spindle to the body, so that the van sits 4" higher on the same wheels/tires after conversion? How much up travel is there between ride height and full bump and what is the total suspension travel? Do you know what a Quigley has it terms of travel? Thanks!

rebar

Adventurer
Which brand of tire are you looking at? The Off Brand Trail Cutter 285/75R16 "D" A/T and Cooper 265/75R16 S/T Tires had better handling and road grip compared to the current 255/85R16 "E" BFG M/T
The 285s on OEM wheels are sliding door friendly.

I was trying to research this because I haven't decided. I mentioned the 255/85r16 because of this comment I found..

I would highly recommend looking for some 255-85-16 All Terrains load range E. There are a bunch of threads on expeditionportal. describing this tire size specifically, and the benefits of it.

Heres one..

From other testimonials I found, I'm gathering a 265/75R/16 is the biggest I could run.

Last edited:

Jakey

285/75R16 will work on 4 inches of lift with OEM 16 X 7wheels and no fender trimming. Aftermarket wheels with more Negative[Outward] will likely require front fender trimming.
Granted all the tire makers specify 7.5" as the minimum recommended width for 285s

My BFG 255 M/T's have about 32K miles so far, and probably 4-8K left.
They look a bit goofy on a lifted van though, especially the bulbed out sidewalls and ultra narrow footprint.

When the 255s wear out, I'll probably purchase 255s with an All-Terrain tread or 285s with an aggressive or All-Terrain tread.
For a heavy vehicle, the width of 285s is worth the better handling, especially during braking conditions.

mobydick

picture request of shifter

Is it possible you can put up a picture of were the shifter is in relation to your hand while driveing. By the way this van is my dream van. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger