Check that sunroof drive motor TODAY!

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
My Gen III has never had any sunroof problems...it always works perfectly. But I have read regular reports of folks having the miserable experience of having the thing stop working.

I came this close to losing mine recently. Heed my warning, boys and girls!

I had pulled the headliner down a bit to install an NMO antenna base on the roof. As I pulled it down in front, a screw dropped out. I noticed that the drive motor was loose. It was very loose.

Two of the three screws securing it to the roof were out. The remaining screw was loose, on its way out. Ten minutes and some Loctite red later, all three were snug and secure. What surprised me was that the thing worked perfectly...there would have been no warning at all when it failed, and THAT would have been a major PITA.

On the Gen III (don't know about previous) it's literally a ten-second job to check that the motor is secure. Simply pull the overhead liner down at the front edge of the sunroof...it's held up at that point by a Velcro sort of stuff. The motor is easily accessible and, if you need to tighten or replace the screws, it's a simple job using a stubby screwdriver.

If you haven't already done so, check yours today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998