Cherokee Trailhawk vs. Grand Cherokee Laredo

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Interesting take on why a Cherokee Trailhawk makes more sense than a GC Laredo from the Jalopnik Comments:

"The GC Laredo is not available with Quadra-Trac II, which means no terrain-selection modes, and also no hill descent control. Manual cloth seats with no lumbar support. Steel wheels (in 2014!). The worst stereo they could find. No air suspension, and believe you me, it makes a huge difference in ride quality on this porker.

But again, all those niggling little details are beside the point, because you will never be able to find a zero-option GC Laredo at any dealer in this quadrant of the universe. Dealers don't order them, because no one in their right mind wants them. The GC is supposed to be the domestic equivalent of a Range Rover, at a steeply discounted price. Fully optioned, it's an amazing vehicle, and one of the few SUVs I would ever consider owning. But the base model is a sad, decontented thing, the sort of car that is designed to remind you that you're a cheapskate."

The Laredo listed above is for rental car companies....

Septu

Explorer
Interesting take on why a Cherokee Trailhawk makes more sense than a GC Laredo from the Jalopnik Comments:

"The GC Laredo is not available with Quadra-Trac II, which means no terrain-selection modes, and also no hill descent control. Manual cloth seats with no lumbar support. Steel wheels (in 2014!). The worst stereo they could find. No air suspension, and believe you me, it makes a huge difference in ride quality on this porker.

I have it in my 2012 JK... I used it once to see what it was like... I've never found a need to use it again - even when descending steep hills.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I have it in my 2012 JK... I used it once to see what it was like... I've never found a need to use it again - even when descending steep hills.

Same here....95% of the stuff I do I can do in 4HI. Hill descent only works in 4LO.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'm not a pureist either. Out of these two the trailhawk hands down. It may have a smaller tank, but burns less gas so therefore the range comapared to the GC should be close if not better. So that's a moot point. The interior of the trailhawk is so nice compared to a Laredo as well. The way I look at vehicles now is who cares what the exterior looks like as long as the interior is inviting, and the rig does what I need it to do. Whether it has ifs, solid axles, etc, who cares if it works. No the new Cherokee is not the old Cherokee.......Thank god. Because every old one I was in was a crate. Yes, capable.....but really bad comfort, gas milage, etc.

tsalani

Observer
i had a 2014 JGC Laredo E. Although the interior is cloth it was still very nice inside. With these new key fobs and push button start, you never have to remove the key from your pocket. Also the touch screen uconnect screen was nice. The 8 speed tranny drove super smooth and I got around 22-24mpg average even after increasing tire size to 32in. Before upgrading the tires I saw 24-26mpg. The car is pretty spacious. 2 6'1 adults fit comfortably and my alaskan malamute in the trunk. Luggage stored on a roof rack above.

I did say had before although it was pretty capable off road, there were things I was unhappy with there. It was pretty easy getting high centered. Not having the air suspension the ground clearance is only 8.5 inches or so. The front and rear diff are open and even though the traction control of quadra trac II is great it is no substitute for lockers. You have to spin the tires quite a big before it applies the breaks to spinning wheels and then the car lurches forward. With left foot breaking you can help but not eliminate the issues. There are 2 suspension lift options in Australia and a spacer lift here in the US. Other than that not much you can do. I started thinking about the amount of money I would have/want to spend to be happy with the car and decided it wasn't worth it. Not the right car to mod because I felt it was too nice. taking out a fender or quarter panel would suck. So I traded the car for a 2014 JK Rubicon and I am much happier. If I had gone with a Limited with the Diesel, air bags, and Quadra Drive II I probably would have stuck with the JGC though.

kojackJKU

I have a 2014 Cherokee in my driveway now. granted its the limited and not the one we would buy, Im totally impressed with the vehicle as a whole. the ONLY place I think the GC wins is interior space. other than that, the new Cherokee is a nicer rig. As stated before. We (my wife and I) have some thinking to do now. Fully decked patriot FD1 and I build it to FD2, or a trailhawk for 10g more? We really like the patriot. Im going to see her thoughts on the Cherokee in 20 mins! ha ha.

Either way you cannot go wrong.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but here's a thought for the OP. You say your daughter is 4, and you plan to drive this vehicle for the next 10-15 years. That puts her at 14-19 before the Jeep is replaced. As she starts school, she will want to give friends rides. They will have stuff…lots of it. Whether she plays soccer, field hockey, cheers, whatever, she and her friends are going to have a lot of accessories to transport.

For that reason alone, I think the GC would be a better bet for you than the Cherokee. I can see the Cherokee being a bit short on room if you and your wife are hauling your daughter and a couple of her friends to an event of some sort with all of their gear, while they Grand would likely fit them comfortably.

Best of luck whichever route you choose!

whereto

I suppose I should update this thread with my final decision. I went the more sensible and economical route. It has almost as much storage space as the GC, gets better gas mileage than the Trailhawk, same ground clearance as the Trailhawk, has a 250HP turbo charged boxer engine, and will be able to handle some light off-roading if need be and cost like 6 grand less than both. :) I think I need to petition the mods to open a new vehicles board for me to post on. hah

2014-02-14 18.38.26.jpg

Justincredible

Adventurer
4 speed auto or CVT? Either way, not for me. (Though I won't buy a Cherokee because of the 9 speed auto also.)

Congrats on your choice.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I suppose I should update this thread with my final decision. I went the more sensible and economical route. It has almost as much storage space as the GC, gets better gas mileage than the Trailhawk, same ground clearance as the Trailhawk, has a 250HP turbo charged boxer engine, and will be able to handle some light off-roading if need be and cost like 6 grand less than both. :) I think I need to petition the mods to open a new vehicles board for me to post on. hah

Awesome, congrats on the purchase! Plenty of Subaru threads in the Expedition Vehicles: Other page of the forum.

kojackJKU

View attachment 212508

My condolences. Ha ha.

I still would have picked a jeep product. I had a Subaru legacy gt in 2001 and it was a nightmare. Since then I cannot get excited about anything with that brand on it.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Bugslinger

Adventurer
Did the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk ever end up getting produced? I remember seeing press for it and even thought I saw it on the Jeep website but I don't see them anywhere when searching for them.

kojackJKU

Yes both the new Cherokee trailhawk and the grand Cherokee trailhawk are produced. They are great overland vehicles.

Justincredible

Adventurer
Did the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk ever end up getting produced? I remember seeing press for it and even thought I saw it on the Jeep website but I don't see them anywhere when searching for them.

Yes both the new Cherokee trailhawk and the grand Cherokee trailhawk are produced. They are great overland vehicles.

I am hoping for the Grand Cherokee trailhawk II, I won't be able to afford one until they've been on the market a while and I get lucky with a used one, but oh how I lust for it after seeing the concept.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78