Chevrolet Express Van - AWD to 4x4 conversion

Stumbled onto this thread, doing some research.

So, a van would really suit my needs, right now. Especially since my 96 Yukon got its cab crushed a bit by a tree that decided to take a nap.

Im sure i could do a full body swap, but i think it may be easier to swap parts. Does anybody know if the 1500 frames were all standard, or am i going to be stripping two vehicles and using the forklift?

-Jake

zuren

Adventurer
Stumbled onto this thread, doing some research.

So, a van would really suit my needs, right now. Especially since my 96 Yukon got its cab crushed a bit by a tree that decided to take a nap.

Im sure i could do a full body swap, but i think it may be easier to swap parts. Does anybody know if the 1500 frames were all standard, or am i going to be stripping two vehicles and using the forklift?

-Jake

Not quite sure what you are asking. If you get an AWD Express, the transfer case from your Yukon may fit (probably with a driveshaft mod) but it probably would end there. As I've replaced general parts because they were worn, these vans share a few parts other than the engine and transmission but not much. The 1500 frames are not "standard" across all GM half-ton vehicles to my knowledge. There are variations from platform-to-platform.

photo_van

98' Lifted Astro 4x4
I stumbled on to this site and thread. I'm coming in a little late on this, but it's good to see you all doing to Expresses what we've been doing to Astros for years. I put a 242j in my astro as I wanted to keep AWD and get low range. I wired a micro switch to the shifter and PCM to take care of shifting in low range- works GREAT! There's a step by step here http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=7844

southpier

Expedition Leader
is there any real difference in the Express & Savana? i know about 4,000k, but what am i giving up? or gaining, depending on which way i go!

thanks

86cj

Explorer
Savanna/Express van same assembly line, different emblem and grill. Pic the grill you like and a dealer you like, same van. I picked a GMC grill ................
Only now with the 2014 pickup truck's are their real differences in the trucks, my buddy's dad a GM executive used to allow us to tour the GM truck plants and all trucks were chevys unless converted to GMC's with an emblem and grill kit.
The frame on 1500 AWD van and 1500 2WD van are different, so chances any other frame working are out...........
This is my favorite thread on the Expo right now, with 37 miles on my T-case it could be awhile before I swap it out............

dieck

Adventurer
Nice pictures of the conversion. Very clearly documented. I'm toying with which direction to go with my next build. This gives me some ideas.

BigDan

Observer
what are the main differences between a 1500 & 2500 ?

are the brakes bigger on the 2500 ?
diff ratios ?
frame ?

seems like both have 6 bolt lug Wheel pattern

thanks

Dan

Hazelfilms

Had questions along the same line as BigDan.. I'm just starting to look into an express 3500 4x4 conversion.. Would one just need to replace the a 1500 rear axle, with a 3500 rear axle, and for that matter, could you replace the IFS axles up front, with 1 ton IFS axles? Or are there more differences between the 1500 and 3500?

BigDan

Observer
Had questions along the same line as BigDan.. I'm just starting to look into an express 3500 4x4 conversion.. Would one just need to replace the a 1500 rear axle, with a 3500 rear axle, and for that matter, could you replace the IFS axles up front, with 1 ton IFS axles? Or are there more differences between the 1500 and 3500?

the back end is always easy .......swap the 1500 diff , heard the 1500 is not really doing the job if treated rough ....( bigger tires )
concerning the fornt IFS , I need to know too ...... If a pick up diff could fit !
there aint seem to have lots of people who knows about these .....

BigDan

Observer
Zuren , it`s been over 3 years now .....

Does the front differential still does the job being 4x4 now ? ( more stress on the 7.5" ) ?

Dan ,

Last edited:

salto_jorge

Transfer case question.

Has anyone researched using the TC from a 2003-2005 Envoy/Trailblazer with 2wd/AWD/4WD/4Lo as a replacement for the Express AWD unit ?

George

jknight

Zuren, are you still around?

Hey i plan on doing this exact same thing within the next few months and i had some questions for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior