Chevy Avalanche overland possibilities

BigDan

Observer
Been a while ,
I have a 2003 chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 that I use for overland ,nothing radical just a 2,5 lift and 32 inch tires ,quite practical

I’m wondering if I would be better with an Avalanche
Is there any camper that could fit on the back part ,or any kind of space kap or similar that fits ? Might be my next project

Suburban vs Avalanche
Your toughts
Thanks
Dan

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I got nothing specifically on the avalanche vs suburban conversation besides if you do get one, try to find a 2500 version.

I think overlanding with what you got is always preferable than buying something new. Obviously there's some nuance with that statement, but what you got is probably just as good as what you'll get in your situation.

BigDan

Observer
ok let’s say I dont have the suburban
Id like to know if there is any cap,camper , or something else that could transform the Avalanche backpart into an habitable section

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
ok let’s say I dont have the suburban
Id like to know if there is any cap,camper , or something else that could transform the Avalanche backpart into an habitable section
There are caps available that cover the bed area. I don't know the exact length of the Avalanche bed bud I know it's not very long at all. Shorter than a Tacoma. It does have a pass through and I think coupled with a bed tent could work as a short term camping solution.

Florida Native

I doubt you’ll find anything that will work with the Avalanche other than a Phoenix: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/chevy-avalanche-gets-a-custom-camper/

If it were me and just one or two people, I’d prefer a Suburban and build out the interior vs an Avalanche with a camper. I’d think you’d be running pretty heavy with a camper and all the weight up high. Suburban (even half ton) should be quite capable of handling a small buildout (remove all middle/rear seats) and will be more capable off road (compared to an Avalanche with camper). Check around, I think one member here put a pop-top in a Suburban and that would be a neat setup and maybe a best of both worlds.

-Mike

I have a 2002 Avalanche 2500 4x4 that I’ve owned since new. The Suburban does have more interior room than the Avalanche. If you are looking to add a camper I would stick with the Suburban. I think in my owners manual it even says that it’s not designed for a camper.

Feel free to ask any questions that you might have.
Durwin

ThundahBeagle

There is a Leer type cap that used to be available for the Avalanche. I've seen them in the wild. But they are camper caps, not campers.

I always loved the idea of the Avalanche, but have never owned one. It could be great, what with the closeable pass-through and all. And yeah the 2500 would be preferred.

Having said all that, everything you would have to add to the Avalanche, you already have in the Suburban. Lots of people use those.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
There is a Leer type cap that used to be available for the Avalanche. I've seen them in the wild. But they are camper caps, not campers.

I always loved the idea of the Avalanche, but have never owned one. It could be great, what with the closeable pass-through and all. And yeah the 2500 would be preferred.

Having said all that, everything you would have to add to the Avalanche, you already have in the Suburban. Lots of people use those.
Plus with the suburban you can sleep inside the cab; its not objectively better but there are a tons of upsides to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78