Chevy AWD

aksavanaman

I've got the shocks and the rear blocks are enroute...hopefully I can get it installed over the next few days, pics will be included!!!

Mr. Nacho

I should have all the parts for the suspension install by Friday 6/1. First up, Suspension Max torsion keys, 2" rear lift blocks and Skyjacker shocks (thanks to Brian513's info)........ I'm still thinking about wheels size and style, will probably go with 17"x 8" with 265/70R-17 tire's but will wait a few more weeks on that. Next, ladder for the rear door and roof racks as well as Trailer hitch, brake controller & Roadmaster Active Suspension so I can tow the "Lifted Casita" our Pod Trailer. Next, I'm installing Power Windows and Locks, I found them locally in Portland,Or at AutoLoc.com. Exhaust, air intake and performance chip in the future and wheels and tires once I sell my other van..... I'll update Pic's as I go along..... Oh, front grill will be updated as soon as I can get the parts from Certifit, they won't ship the grill so I have to wait for a mule from SLC.

aksavanaman

I've found that the AWD has taken me everywhere I've needed to go so far... there's only so much you can do with chevy platform (short of deleting the IFS). I don't plan on wheeling the van like I stole it, so AWD has faired very well on inclimate paved roads and moderate "trail" driving. For those of you have installed the chevy lifts (Briand513) using the skyjacker system, what did you do about the top bushings for the rear shocks? Did you modify the metal sleeve to fit around the top pin or did you go with another bushing? I was able to reuse the old bushing (which fit tightly around the key)... but on the other side I had to go with the new, smaller bushing that came with the shock. There is however WAY to much play for my liking! So I think I'll pick up some new bushings to use for the top.

Mr. Nacho

Well I had the Suspension Maxx torsion keys installed and I installed new skyjacker shocks and 2" rear blocks. I also added the Roadmaster Active Suspension to help with loads and stability. The rear of the van run's a bit high and that might be the addition of the Roadmaster system, so I have the new torsion bars cranked up to help even it out. I'm still deciding weather to go with smaller riser blocks in the rear and lower the front torsion bars a bit.... I haven't put the rear shocks on yet but noticed the problem you referred to, I'll let you know what I come up with unless Brian513 chimes in with the answer first. I'm having the local tire shop test fit some wheels and tires next and will get back on that ...

As far as the Chevy AWD I have high hopes that it will work out well for Ski trips, Camping, Towing and Light duty off-road driving, It's real smooth on the road, tight steering and is a real pleasure to drive something my Ford Quigley 4x4 lacks on long road trips.... not to mention better mileage 15 MPG city compared to 11MPG in the Ford, it doesn't sound like much better but it's almost 35% better mileage. The Chevy is not near as capable as the Quigley for off road but we don't 4x4 much so we don't really need it. My Fords an E250 and also seems to eat through bushings, brakes and u-joints every few years and I'm hoping the Chevy doesn't. Will have to see how the Chevy holds up over time but with gas up to $4.25 Gal here we are ready for a change and will just have to make it work until and Diesel AWD comes available that doesn't cost 50K....

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 179

aksavanaman

DSC_0113.jpg

Sorry there aren't any before pictures... but here she sits with the lift installed. Came out to be about 2 3/4" in the rear and 2" in the front. Just as Mr. Nachos, the rear is definitely a bit higher than the front, but I'm still happy with the outcome.

Gilliejd

Power windows/ doors

I should have all the parts for the suspension install by Friday 6/1. First up, Suspension Max torsion keys, 2" rear lift blocks and Skyjacker shocks (thanks to Brian513's info)........ I'm still thinking about wheels size and style, will probably go with 17"x 8" with 265/70R-17 tire's but will wait a few more weeks on that. Next, ladder for the rear door and roof racks as well as Trailer hitch, brake controller & Roadmaster Active Suspension so I can tow the "Lifted Casita" our Pod Trailer. Next, I'm installing Power Windows and Locks, I found them locally in Portland,Or at AutoLoc.com. Exhaust, air intake and performance chip in the future and wheels and tires once I sell my other van..... I'll update Pic's as I go along..... Oh, front grill will be updated as soon as I can get the parts from Certifit, they won't ship the grill so I have to wait for a mule from SLC.

Where locally in Portland did you find the power windows & doors? I'm looking to outfit my 05 awd express with them as well and live in Portland.

Jeff

Mr. Nacho

Hey Jeff,
Most stereo shops around Portland install door locks and power windows. I've had quotes as high as $1,500 Van Specialties in Portland, Car Toyzs $1,200 and a local shop in Hood River quote me $900 parts & labor, that's for 2 Pwr Windows and 4 door locks with remote transmitter. Both systems can be bought on-line but finding a reputable brand is the hard part. The place that does sell a nice system that is in Portland is Dynamic Distributing LLC know on the web as AutoLoc http://www.autoloc.com/. A four door lock system $150 parts and the 2 door Power Window kit is $199, seems like a good deal If you got the time and know-how to do the install..... Lot's of install info available on there web site just finding the time and patience. For me, I'm thinking if the door panels are off I'm doing both pwr locks, windows and new door speakers, let me know if you come up with anything new on it.....

foytix

Another option for the rear bilstein shock is the 24-185783. I ordered that one since it's the one used on SUV and the valving may be a little different than the one for the trucks 24-186742. I still haven't reordered any keys for the front yet so none of mine is installed yet. I ordered the white keys thinking I had blue key, no I had blue torsion bars the keys were white, dang. Anyways the van does awesome on the beach, even without the lift. It's still getting lifted though, think I'll quit being a slacker and order some lift keys today :ylsmoke:

471035_4168398972055_368531410_o.jpg

Mr. Nacho

I had a local shop install my MaxxCam2 leveling keys, the tool for the job was $150 I think to buy? and he charged me $200 for the key install and it took him most of the afternoon, well worth it......
I think I would hold off on the 2" rear blocks if I did it over again and see how it looks, I'll wait until I'm done converting the inside and see how it sits....

foytix

I've got a buddy that will let me borrow the tool, it makes it so much easier and safer. I don't mind if the rear is a little higher, that's how it sits now anyways. If it's too high I'll throw a 1" block under there instead, the 2" blocks I got were free so they are worth giving a try for sure :ylsmoke:

foytix

finally got my lift installed, here's a before and after pic my wife did. The lift came to 2" in the front and 1 7/8" in the rear (factory truck blocks). The tire are 275-65r18 on factory chevy off-road wheels.

van.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears