Chevy Express 2005

frankie2108

We are planning on driving from New York to San Diego via the South in about 3 weeks (leaving on Halloween is our deadline as we have to be out of the apartment by then). In that time we've got to convert a work van into one that we can comfortably sleep in, cook in and have sufficient storage for surfboards, bikes and clothes. Anyone got any great ideas for how we can convert it by ourselves in such a short time-frame?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. You can follow along with our adventure at www.girlaroundglobe.com

rockbender

Adventurer
Go to the 4wd/2wd van section. Lots of ideas there! Simple = wood frame for a sleeping bunk that you can slide rubbermaid totes underneath. Get some sort of futon mattress for the sleeping bunk. Have fun!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Just a quicky set-up? Build a raised platform for the bed with room for luggage and surfboards underneath. Little shelf unit between the bed and driver's seat, camp stove on top when cooking, stored otherwise. Bikes out back on a hitch receiver rack.

How long do you plan on being on the road?

frankie2108

Thanks for the replies. I've definitely been lurking on a lot of the build threads over there, but they all seem pretty complicated/people know what they're doing! We'll be in the van for a minimum of 3 months so ideally would like to have some sort of comfort. Just thought I'd throw it out there for those of you have a bit more experience in these matters if there was a nice easy way to do it; seems roughly on par with what I had drawn up which is reassuring. This will be the first trip we have done in the van, plenty of experience "roughing" it so no worries about that.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I use the setup I've described in my vans, using a full size futon mattress on the platform and have been quiet comfortable. Longest trip with the setup so far was a 3 week trip Chicago,IL to Alaska and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger