Chevy Express AWD Van Input, Please.

Porterdog

Hello all,

I've been creeping around this forum long enough and need to post. Thank you to all who contribute. This has already been a wealth of information! Many of you have or are building the same kind of rig I'm looking to build. I'm currently in the process of finding a Chevy Express Passenger 1500 AWD van 5.3L. I'm going for a "weekender" style build with two captains chairs and bench/bed in the back. This van will also be my primary vehicle, so I'm looking to maintain fuel economy and room for passengers. I'm using it for weekend road trips and ski trips. I don't need a full 4x4 conversion as I will only be using it on paved and FS roads. I have a 1985 4Runner that I use for off road driving. I've been able to locate several vans that fit my criteria. Currently, I'm torn between a 2006 with low miles (less than 50,000) or a 2008 with around 80,000. I've been told that letting engines sit unused for long periods of time is not good. So, is it better to go with a van with low miles or a van that has been driven more but maintained regularly? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Accrete

Explorer
Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your acquisition of a van and build.

Though i know there are exceptions, i've always sided with a rig that has been running rather than one left sitting in a garage. But there isn't much info in your post as to what the two van's lives have been like other than millage. And I've also seen times when a rig was low miles, clean to look at, but upon digging found the unit was driven into the ground.

Porterdog

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm in the process of gathering info on the vans. I've sent emails to the dealerships. As far as I can tell from the descriptions they have clean titles and only one previous owner. I'm more cautious buying from a dealership than a private person, but give the limited availability of these vans in my town, I'm forced to look outside of town, making it difficult to go check them out in person. I plan on having a third party check done prior to purchasing a van. I'm wondering what your criteria was on your van and specific features you find necessary. I'll keep updating as the info rolls in. Thanks!

Jet-Unit

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm in the process of gathering info on the vans. I've sent emails to the dealerships. As far as I can tell from the descriptions they have clean titles and only one previous owner. I'm more cautious buying from a dealership than a private person, but give the limited availability of these vans in my town, I'm forced to look outside of town, making it difficult to go check them out in person. I plan on having a third party check done prior to purchasing a van. I'm wondering what your criteria was on your van and specific features you find necessary. I'll keep updating as the info rolls in. Thanks!

Hi Porterdog, welcome in the forum. I have just bought a Chevy Express AWD 2010 cargo with a 5.3L. I can say that I like it a lot. We had snow here and I had the chance to try it and it work great. I was not looking for a new van but a van without any problem. I bought it from a dealer and the van had around 120 000 miles on it but the mechanic was great. If you have any question, feel free to ask!!

MDM54

Observer
Fording with Chevy Express

I regularly ford a stream with my 2006 GMC Savana AWD and have found that it is not cut out for this type of driving.
A bunch of ABS sensors and electronics are located down low and become fouled and inoperative from water crossings. At the time of my repair, the parts were not in stock anywhere in the US and were not scheduled to be produced anytime soon. Took over a month to acquire the parts.
Also there are clutches in the transfer case that are held together with water soluble glue. There is also a transfer case vent tube that if installed from the factory in the wrong orientation will allow miniscule amounts of water into and mix with the transfer case viscous fluids and cause the clutches to fail. At least this repair was covered under warranty.
Each year I drive from the east coast to the inner mountain west and drive in snow all winter long. The van is equipped with snow tires and is a great and safe traveling vehicle for use on paved roads. It will plow through incredible amount of snow before becoming high centered, but it is not much, or enough of an off road vehicle.

pgchustla

Great choice! We have a similar build as what you're describing and have used it to sleep in ski area parking lots for hundreds of nights.

As the above poster mentioned, the AWD has limitations. Although I have never had a problem, you have to be careful with the "low hanging fruit" so to speak - - not to mention the 30 gallon plastic gas tank. Just watch those ruts and big rocks. As for snow, it is absolutely unstoppable. The AWD is predictable in a slide and damn near invincible with the right tires. We've woken up to 30" dumps in BC and not thought twice about busting out (with chains).

I think you should go with the low mileage choice personally.

bdog1

Adventurer
MDM54. It's pretty much SOP for wheelers to extend all their vents up high, around brake booster is common, and finish the vents with a cheap plastic clear fuel filter hanging upside down. (Trans. clutch packs are also ruined by water intrusion.) Route trans, t case, front diff up front and the rear diff up around the fuel cap.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Porterdog

Thanks for the feed back. I'm glad to hear the awd works great in the snow and crashing ski parking lots! I'm not going to be fording any streams, hopefully, but it's always good to know the limitations of these vehicles. I'm looking into a lift. Nothing crazy. Boulder4x4 has a 2' lift that some of you have already. Did you find it effected the gas mileage? I'm not going to put 33 on the van. I tried that with my little 4runner and it killed the gas mileage. I'm still on the hunt. I've narrowed it down to 5 vans. I'm in the process of contacting the dealerships for more specific info. Hopefully I will have some pics soon!

Porterdog

I just finished looking through your build thead. Your van seems to fit your needs perfectly. I'm looking to lift mine using the Bolder kit as well. How much did you pay to have another shop install the kit? Did you also upgrade the suspension? Thanks for sharing your build! I hope to get mine underway soon. Cheers!

rpfeifer303

I just finished looking through your build thead. Your van seems to fit your needs perfectly. I'm looking to lift mine using the Bolder kit as well. How much did you pay to have another shop install the kit? Did you also upgrade the suspension? Thanks for sharing your build! I hope to get mine underway soon. Cheers!
Did you ever get the Boulder kit installed on your AWD?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

OP's last post was from 2016. You can see from that they passed on the Express platform. (Click on poster's name, then "Postings" to see their whole post history)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger