Chevy Express - rear awning

dleeallen

Adventurer
Does anyone have an awning mounted on the rear of their Chevy/GMC full size van? I'm looking to put one there to cover the rear doors to shelter from rain/snow while loading/unloading. I am hoping to mount to a Thule bar mounted as far back as I can get it on the gutters.

I'm curious about height, and clearing the doors. I am primarily thinking about rain and snow, so I plan to load with the doors open 90 degrees. I haven't lifted the van yet, but probably will go up a couple inches. I think that means the rack height is over 7'. Will the awning clear the corners of the doors when they are open like that?

Thinking it will be something like an ARB style awning. I want it to be able to deploy without the guy lines (assuming weather permits).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lee

Choff

Adventurer
Bought this on Amazon last year, like the set up and packs up nice

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 38

dleeallen

Adventurer
That's a neat set up. I like that for camping. Looks like you would have to run the guy wires though?

I'm using the cover for less than an hour at a time. My wife sells LuLaRoe clothing (direct sales women's & kids clothes) and we have to pack up and go to events with it all. Packing up in the rain is no fun and getting the back of the van soaked only makes it worse! Quick deploy (and able to work on pavement) and take down is critical.

For your use you may consider a big umbrella that spans the width of the doors while open at 90degree angle. Then its just a matter of opening it up and setting it on top of the doors.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Interesting idea! I hadn't even considered something like that. I'll have to think about how in the way the handle would be. Price is certainly attractive!

Choff

Adventurer
We also have a simple canopy which we use by opening both doors to a 90 and I have a tent rod between doors on outer edge to support the awning and tie it to the van, I like this also for quick back door sun and night time camping.

Choff

Adventurer
That's a neat set up. I like that for camping. Looks like you would have to run the guy wires though?

I'm using the cover for less than an hour at a time. My wife sells LuLaRoe clothing (direct sales women's & kids clothes) and we have to pack up and go to events with it all. Packing up in the rain is no fun and getting the back of the van soaked only makes it worse! Quick deploy (and able to work on pavement) and take down is critical.

Take down on the rear awning is not bad, 5 min to tear down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78