Chevy Express Windows

rick1919

First off Hello Everyone and Thanks For any Input!

I have bought a 3500 express Quiqley 6.6 duramax cargo van 155 wheel base 2016
I am converting it to a weekender format 4 captains chairs and a bench. with about 60 inches behind the couch/bed.

My question is; Has anyone tried to install passenger van windows into a cargo van?
I like the all glass look of the passenger van I would like to replicate it.
any help advice and places to go in socal would be appreciated.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
aftermarket windows can be more functional.

the only windows that can be opened in a factory van are the rear doors and the first two small windows behind the front seat. all of them ONLY vent open a couple inches. Not even enough to stick your hand out the window. you could barely throw a piece of gum out those windows.

rick1919

Thats helpful, Do you know are there larger windows then the 42in wide ones form c r Lawrence? or are Those usually the best way to go?

710m

Observer
Owning the same van but in the passenger version (and no diesel) I'll second the statement that you don't want factory windows. They don't really open a whole lot. Although it is nice to have glass all the way around, it really limits the build options if you don't want to block it. You're probably better off strategically placing more user friendly and larger (taller) windows. Does your van have the Quigley lift?

Campbulance

Observer
I have a 2008 Express van that I just took out the factory stationary glass and replaced it with the windows that Vent. I have the barn doors and not slider and no other windows besides the door ones. I personally am glad I switched over to them although it cost a bit of money. It allows me to get airflow through the van front to back with a fantastic fan in the roof towards the front. With my insulation, fantastic fan(not wired in yet) and windows open the temperature stays reasonable although I haven't been in weather hotter than 90 and lower than 30's.

If you have all sheet metal for your van than I would say go aftermarket and not factory. You can size and orient them the way you desire. Depending on your usage the more windows you have the less insulated your van will become. You will be taking away surface area and thickness for insulation and replacing potentially with glass that transfers heat, plastic may be slightly better but either way you will have to put in inserts for insulation and light blockage if you need it. You can see some pics of it in my build thread in my sig.

wjeeper

I looked into adding some factory windows onto my panel Express. Its not as easy as it seems on the surface. First problem is that the flanges that are pressed into a panel van where the edges of the windows are are not pressed deep enough. The glass will not sit flush with the body, it will stick out just slightly. Adding tip out windows to doors with existing glass is as easy as cutting the old glass out and installing the tip out windows.

The biggest issue is that you will be cutting through most of the vertical ribs on the van that add support to the walls. Without adding some supports around the window frames you will loose most of the structural integrity of the walls and roof.
Not the best pic but you can see how they add a large horizontal crossmember as well as one between the glass panels to add the support back in
2016-chevrolet-express-cargo-van-safety-1480x380-001.jpg

rick1919

awesome info

Owning the same van but in the passenger version (and no diesel) I'll second the statement that you don't want factory windows. They don't really open a whole lot. Although it is nice to have glass all the way around, it really limits the build options if you don't want to block it. You're probably better off strategically placing more user friendly and larger (taller) windows. Does your van have the Quigley lift?

Yes it does have the 3 inch lift. However I am considering going higher I want to get at least 35" under it.

I have a 2008 Express van that I just took out the factory stationary glass and replaced it with the windows that Vent. I have the barn doors and not slider and no other windows besides the door ones. I personally am glad I switched over to them although it cost a bit of money. It allows me to get airflow through the van front to back with a fantastic fan in the roof towards the front. With my insulation, fantastic fan(not wired in yet) and windows open the temperature stays reasonable although I haven't been in weather hotter than 90 and lower than 30's.

If you have all sheet metal for your van than I would say go aftermarket and not factory. You can size and orient them the way you desire. Depending on your usage the more windows you have the less insulated your van will become. You will be taking away surface area and thickness for insulation and replacing potentially with glass that transfers heat, plastic may be slightly better but either way you will have to put in inserts for insulation and light blockage if you need it. You can see some pics of it in my build thread in my sig.

Thanks, good to know that you removed the oem windows. I guess I am gonna consider going with aftermarket. Do you have any recommendations?

I looked into adding some factory windows onto my panel Express. Its not as easy as it seems on the surface. First problem is that the flanges that are pressed into a panel van where the edges of the windows are are not pressed deep enough. The glass will not sit flush with the body, it will stick out just slightly. Adding tip out windows to doors with existing glass is as easy as cutting the old glass out and installing the tip out windows.

The biggest issue is that you will be cutting through most of the vertical ribs on the van that add support to the walls. Without adding some supports around the window frames you will loose most of the structural integrity of the walls and roof.
Not the best pic but you can see how they add a large horizontal crossmember as well as one between the glass panels to add the support back in

So it sounds like i Should probably move a different direction. Thanks for the help.

Do you guys Have recommendations on windows?

buba1

Did you get windows installed on panel van?

Who provided the windows?
Did they come with templates for the cuts?
How much were they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78