Chevy: Factory Rear Locker Question

JMyerz

Adventurer
I just found the original window sticker that states my 2006 Chevy Express AWD was equipped with a factory rear locker. I do not see any buttons for in the cab or any electrical or air lines going to the differential.

Should I assume this is some sort of Limited Slip type locker?

Thanks!

Justin

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I would guess that you have one of two possibilities. It is either a clutch-pack type "posi" or it is a "Gov-Lock."

The Gov-Lock is a great idea whose execution falls a bit short. Some call them "Gov-Bombs". A Gov-Lock behaves as a clutch pack posi until the differential wheel speed goes high enough for the governor flyweights to engage the cam-ramp, which radically ramps up the clamping force on the clutches. Where they fail is when the differential wheel speed occurs rapidly. The gear teeth on the flyweight shaft can't take the load and shear off, or the flyweights themselves fail. The surest way to break a Gov-Lock is to gas it when one rear tire is spinning. If one slips, back off a little.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Most Gov lock rear ends I have seen gernade when someone is railing on it in two wheel drive just like ntqsd said. I would think in a awd van light trail use it should be fine. The torque will be divided between the axles. Just keep in mind that is your weak link when you are railing on it.
Derek

JMyerz

Adventurer
Thanks for the info!

I don't plan to do a lot of hardcore trails with the Van. I foresee sand, snow and logging road its future so hopefully it won't grenade on me...

J

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I just found the original window sticker that states my 2006 Chevy Express AWD was equipped with a factory rear locker. I do not see any buttons for in the cab or any electrical or air lines going to the differential.

Should I assume this is some sort of Limited Slip type locker?

Thanks!

Justin

Check the build sticker (usually passenger door jamb), do you have the code G80? That's usually the Gov-Lock.

JMyerz

Adventurer
Thanks Herbie, I need to remember to do this. I've been out to the van several times since your post and get distracted by something else and forget to check!

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Also, a trick that many of the ZR2 owners used to use with the G80 to get it to engage more quickly in a hairy situation is to engage the parking brake a few clicks to create some drag on the rear axle. In general, the G80 works as designed, which is to engage/lock at higher wheel speeds, it does not respond very well at low wheel speeds.

JMyerz

Adventurer
Finally remembered to look on the door sticker, no G08 anywhere. I would assume I have the posi lock?

Thanks!

J

alexrex20

Explorer
if the window sticker says you have a rear locker, you have a rear locker. on a 06 chevy express 1500 it would have the G80 locker. it is an auto locker, so there would not be any wires or switches or buttons or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears