Chevy Sportsmobile ?

hardware

i have been a lurker for awhile.

i am looking for a vehicle like the SMB to travel to different ski area's during the winter for skiing.

i would love the Earthroamer XV with the mpt 80's. too much $$$ for me right now.

I see some awesome pics of the newer lifted 4wd SMB's on the Ford platform.

Are there any on the Chevy platform with the same type build out ? cannot seem to find any.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Sportsmobile does build on the Chevy platform and used to build on the Dodge's
If you go to www.sportsmobile.com there is a section on chevy

I know if you call up Alan or Jonathan at Sportsmobile West they would be willing to talk to you about any options. They have been super cool with me and I am a real pest :)

Railvan

Adventurer
SMB West does their 4x4 conversion only on Ford vans. They'll build a RV conversion in a Chevy but you'll have to get the 4x4 conversion done elsewhere. I considered this option since I wanted a diesel and the Ford 6.0 turbo diesel had such a questionable reputation. I wanted to go with the GM/Isuzu Duramax and the Allison transmission. In the end I did get a Ford, since it was far easier to get everything done at SMB West and not have to deal with a couple different vendors. Also, this was 2006 when I got mine and Salem/Kroger and other 4x4 conversions where not as well known, at least to me. While I love everything else about the Ford van I ended up getting, I have had the turbo replaced three times before 42,000 miles. My frustration with Ford over this issue has been very high. If I could get the DynaTrac axles and the Atlas transfer case under a GM van, I would go that route if I had the chance to do it again.

Saline

Adventurer
I too have had issues with my Ford 6.0L diesel. It has not stranded us at all but the thought of that is always in the back of my mind. We love our SMB and have already put 12,000 miles on it in 7 months.Just not sure about the whole Ford thing.
Issues so far:
fan clutch replaced
new turbo
crankcase oil seal
EGR cooler hose
I must say that all of these items were taken care of under warranty and the turbo and crankcase seal were mostly likley due to the van sitting for several months before we took possesion of it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ford is a poor choice for a platform, IMHO. Serious issues with the engines and trannies for a long time.

A guy I know uses all Fords in his company, he has like 8 of them from F150 to F550. They are work trucks and used for plowing snow in the winter.

He has been through several engines, turbos and many trannies. He has blow trannies in trucks with less than 20k miles on them. He is not the only example I could give.

I run all Chevies in my company, I have 3 of them....two are 94's and one is a 2001. We beat the piss out of them and they keep on going. The occasional starter or clutch is the only major problems. The IFS front ends wear out or require things like tie rods or idler arms replaced, not a big deal really. I bought a HD2500 in 2001 with the 6L V8, it was brand new when I bought it. Now it has 140k miles on it, we replaced tie rods and idler arm. Had the heater knobs break a few times. Changed the brake pads at 100k miles. I have towed trucks behind it all over the USA and it gets used hard locally for work. No leaks, burns no oil, starts every time and still has gobs of power. Tranny never gets hot either. Excellent truck.

Railvan

Adventurer
The Quigley IFS 4x4 could be a good candidate for a lot of travel. If you travel forest roads and some rough spots come along, you'll just have to choose your line carefully or decide when to stop. I'm sure it rides a lot smoother than the leaf springs in the SMB conversion. From what I recall the Quigley IFS has no more ground clearance than a stock van. The SMB 4x4 system has top of the line components but really is overkill for all but very serious offroading. Remember too that the van is so big, you are limited to where you can go offroad with it. I live in the northwest and sometimes have to turn around as the "trail" gets too small for the van long before I come close to maxing out what the 4x4 system will allow. If you drive in the desert or open rock country, the SMB 4x4 system is a good choice, as it is super strong and in open country you could get stuck way out there.

I have heard the Ford has as stronger body and frame and has heavier gauge wire in the wiring harness compared to the GM/Chevy vans. I don't know if this is true. I have had the thought more than once that it's nice these things might be stronger in the Ford, but these items being "weaker" in a GM van wouldn't keep me from getting home, but a failed turbo sure could.

Brian

hardware

the comments above is why i asked the question. i have several chevy duramax trucks with the allison transmission for my business. i have had good experiences with these engines and transmissions.

i was hoping to at least have the chevy option in the SMB.

I think the SMB is a great concept.

The one that Blackeye has is awesome and exactly what i had evnisioned when i started my search -
http://blackeye.smugmug.com/Travel/Rocking-R-Sportsmobile/5514475_J85qK#337501976_pX3JL

i just wish i could have it in a gm durmax allison combo

Last edited:

Railvan

Adventurer
I just looked at the Quigley website and I don't see the leaf spring and front straight axle option for GM vans that they used to offer. I'd check into other 4x4 conversion companies if you want the GM diesel and a straight front axle.

Brian

Saline

Adventurer
Ford is a poor choice for a platform, IMHO. Serious issues with the engines and trannies for a long time.

A guy I know uses all Fords in his company, he has like 8 of them from F150 to F550. They are work trucks and used for plowing snow in the winter.

He has been through several engines, turbos and many trannies. He has blow trannies in trucks with less than 20k miles on them. He is not the only example I could give.

I run all Chevies in my company, I have 3 of them....two are 94's and one is a 2001. We beat the piss out of them and they keep on going. The occasional starter or clutch is the only major problems. The IFS front ends wear out or require things like tie rods or idler arms replaced, not a big deal really. I bought a HD2500 in 2001 with the 6L V8, it was brand new when I bought it. Now it has 140k miles on it, we replaced tie rods and idler arm. Had the heater knobs break a few times. Changed the brake pads at 100k miles. I have towed trucks behind it all over the USA and it gets used hard locally for work. No leaks, burns no oil, starts every time and still has gobs of power. Tranny never gets hot either. Excellent truck.

It's not my intention to turn this into a Ford vs Chevy thing but...
I wouldn't say that the Ford chassis is a poor platform though. Nearly 90% of medium duty emergency vehicles (brush rigs,light rescues, and ambulances) are Fords and they do very well with the daily torture that they go through. I have driven all of the above in some pretty extreme conditions and can say I have been impressed time after time.
Every vehicle has a weak point.
The 6.0L is finicky as it does not do well with sitting for extended periods and not being driven (VGT sticking) and it doesn't do well with idling at low rpms either for extended periods (carbon buildup on the EGR valve).

I can say I have been impressed with the Duramax engine/tranny combo for sure, I just feel that the GM IFS system is a weak point.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I can’t get my head wrapped around the idea that Quigley would only offer IFS on the GM G-van. They built G-vans for years (even 2003 later G-vans with the new frames with AWD provisions) with leaf springs and straight axles so I don’t get why now they don’t list it on their website. Man I tell ya, I am a GM fan and absolutely HATE GM’s IFS suspension on the HD trucks. That is the worse part of the entire truck.

Oh well, if Quigley doesn’t want to do SFA conversions on G-vans anymore I know there are still two that are happy to convert a GM G-van to SFA.

http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/gallery.php
If you click on the Advance’s gallery there is even a picture of a late model GM G-van SMB with a SFA.

http://boulderoffroadvans.com/

I am with some of you guys where I am extremely brand sensitive and there is no way in heck I would own a Ford, even if it was the only van that could be converted to a SFA.

Above someone mentioned an Allison behind a Duramax in a G-van. Unfortunately, Duramax equipped G-vans do not come with Allison transmissions. The 2007 - 2009 diesel vans had the MN8 HD 4L80E trans while the 2010 gets the new MYD 6L90E trans behind the Duramax.

If I were in the market for a new SMB, I would have a GM G-Van with the new 6.2L GAS (will be new for 2011 model year) and the 6L90E transmission. Diesels are extremely overrated especially as we get into these new crazy federal diesel emissions regulations that are wreaking havoc on the durability of diesel engines today. You can buy a lot of gas for the hassle saved of owning any 2007 or later diesel engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior