Chile motorcycle help

rabudha

I've been looking for something similar to the exchanges that are all over southeast Asia. Heading down to Santiago around Jan 8th and wanted to buy an inexpensive honda 125 when I arrive and then sell it before I return. Anyone know of a good connection? I couldn't find anything as straightforward as I remember from Vietnam. Thanks for any info!

grudiger

www.MundoXP.com
Hi,
I am from chile and I found this link that can be an "option" (http://www.ride-chile.com/), sure you can buy a "moto" there but be aware of the documents and insurance, police in Chile will enforce this and most probably they will stop you. Seller will take your money and you have to transfer the title to your name if you want to cross to Argentina and get insurance, Chile is a very modern country but still some old fashion way to do some paperwork, so find out if you can transfer the title prior to buy it.

Now, best place to find good deals on Motocycles will be on : www.elmercurio.cl under "Clasificados/Automoviles"... Hope this help, and best luck in your journey

Gunther

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Very hard to register/title a bike in Chile as a foreigner.

I checked into this when I lived down there in 2008/9 so thinks may of changed but the basics are to buy and register/title a Chilean bike you need a residents card/number. It is hard to get but not impossible. Then if I remember correctly there was an issue with being able to take it outside the Chilean borders which buggered my plans. An alternative is to buy a bike from a traveler and then resell it when you leave. Bikes will generally be bigger but not necessarily more expensive. There is a lot of info on Horizons Unlimited about both these options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78