Choices For Camp Rig

cjohns716

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but wasn't sure where it was best located.

Buddy's got a sick 2nd gen Taco with 33s, a lift, basically a tastefully done mod that he bought used and built. Every time we camp, I'm jealous.

I have a '15 Outback that has served me well for 6 years, but I no longer think kids are in my future, so less worried about the safety aspect. I've also gotten more into activities further afield, backcountry skiing and climbing mostly. Gotten the OB stuck a couple of times in deep snow. So I've been kicking around the idea of getting a camp rig/ adventure vehicle. We mostly car camp, so interior space/ carrying capacity is a consideration. Ideally pretty capable off-road for getting off the beaten path. Not really looking to have it be a sleeping rig, we're tent people, though for winter ski adventures and potentially also climbing adventures, a sleeping rig may be nice...

The way I see it, I have two choices. Either buy a beater rig that's solely for adventures. Either an old Taco or Cherokee (thinking a Wrangler is a bit too small for our car camping trips) or 4 Runner. These are tough to find, moreso since the pandemic, and I haven't found a great way to search for a lot of them (advice welcome).

The second option would be to trade in the OB for something new. Choices would be the Bronco (I'd love to wait for the hybrid), Wrangler Unlimited (preferably 4xe), Gladiator, or Taco. The aforementioned buddy knows cars and has said the latest gen Tacos are underpowered once you start adding weight, so hesitant to go that direction. Honestly, I like the look of the Bronco plus being able to get it from the factory with just about everything I'd want/ need is great. But holy cow are new cars expensive. When I bought my OB used, my interest was like 2.9%? I think the total I financed was maybe 18k? My monthly payment was under $200. Using $6k down, $12k trade in value, and 3% interest rate, a BadSquatch is still just under $700 a month for 5 years. How do people do this?

Anyway, mostly looking for ways to easily search for built rigs, insight into pricing for older rigs, any additional ideas on older potential rigs, experiences going down one path or the other, or also just want to vent, feel free to chime in!

billiebob

High end.... Bring a Trailer auction site will help set the upper limit whatever you pick.... It might also narrow the feild as you see what commands top $$ and where the less expensive buys are.

Snow is more about winter tires than anything else. Any Subaru is the best snow vehicle ever. Even dragging the undercarriage our Subarus loved the snow. Winter tires rule.

The reason to change is more about where you want to go in the summer. Do you need Low Range 4WD, Do you need beter clearance over rocks. If the issue is stuck in snow..... add chains.

If you need clearance, buy a Unimog with portals,,,,, and add chains. That might be the best deep snow vehicle ever.

IMG_0577.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

(thinking a Wrangler is a bit too small for our car camping trips)
Heck yer in a Subaru.... any 4 door Wrangler is bigger, more capacity.

I rate 3 vehicles at the TOP of the food chain for affordable traction.
Subaru rules.
Audi is at least equal but exponentially more expensive to buy and maintain.
And Wrangler. I think the best buy. They hold value so buy in is high.... but resale is also high.

Definitely buy used. Buy the best low miler you can find, JKU Wranglers are everywhere. There must be one with yer name in it.

Wranglers are pretty bullet proof with solid axles, body on frame, pretty easy access to everything. And a massive after market.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but wasn't sure where it was best located.

Buddy's got a sick 2nd gen Taco with 33s, a lift, basically a tastefully done mod that he bought used and built. Every time we camp, I'm jealous.

I have a '15 Outback that has served me well for 6 years, but I no longer think kids are in my future, so less worried about the safety aspect. I've also gotten more into activities further afield, backcountry skiing and climbing mostly. Gotten the OB stuck a couple of times in deep snow. So I've been kicking around the idea of getting a camp rig/ adventure vehicle. We mostly car camp, so interior space/ carrying capacity is a consideration. Ideally pretty capable off-road for getting off the beaten path. Not really looking to have it be a sleeping rig, we're tent people, though for winter ski adventures and potentially also climbing adventures, a sleeping rig may be nice...

The way I see it, I have two choices. Either buy a beater rig that's solely for adventures. Either an old Taco or Cherokee (thinking a Wrangler is a bit too small for our car camping trips) or 4 Runner. These are tough to find, moreso since the pandemic, and I haven't found a great way to search for a lot of them (advice welcome).

The second option would be to trade in the OB for something new. Choices would be the Bronco (I'd love to wait for the hybrid), Wrangler Unlimited (preferably 4xe), Gladiator, or Taco. The aforementioned buddy knows cars and has said the latest gen Tacos are underpowered once you start adding weight, so hesitant to go that direction. Honestly, I like the look of the Bronco plus being able to get it from the factory with just about everything I'd want/ need is great. But holy cow are new cars expensive. When I bought my OB used, my interest was like 2.9%? I think the total I financed was maybe 18k? My monthly payment was under $200. Using $6k down, $12k trade in value, and 3% interest rate, a BadSquatch is still just under $700 a month for 5 years. How do people do this?

Anyway, mostly looking for ways to easily search for built rigs, insight into pricing for older rigs, any additional ideas on older potential rigs, experiences going down one path or the other, or also just want to vent, feel free to chime in!
I had a legacy GT 5spd and a mint J80 for 10yrs . Wife had her own car. The GT was by far hands down superior to the OB even had lower closer spaced ratios was better at towing my boat and running the mountains than the OB in 2010 I got the cvt OB and sold the J80 picked up a cherry 07 Sequoia. The Sequoia saw far more action than the OB vs the old GT crushed the piggy J80 so saw more trips and off road.

Today the OB and the Sequoia were replaced with one rig. 2019 Expedition Platinum heavy tow with rear Elocker. Love it!!!!! I see trip mileage almost as good as my OB. Example when we ran 26-27mpg averages the Expedition sees 23mpg averages. Towing my 4x8 the Expedition runs 19-21mpg averages the OB identical lol. In town daily kid hauling stuff 17-18mpg expedition the OB ran 19-21mpg. Both run about the same range only one had 180hp and the other has 400hp?.
No way in hell would I go Taco after the 07 4.7v8 and the 4.6L in the J80. After doing a few trips in the Expedition its a damn nice rig. The Bronco is cool but not very big.

cjohns716

Heck yer in a Subaru.... any 4 door Wrangler is bigger, more capacity.

I rate 3 vehicles at the TOP of the food chain for affordable traction.
Subaru rules.
Audi is at least equal but exponentially more expensive to buy and maintain.
And Wrangler. I think the best buy. They hold value so buy in is high.... but resale is also high.

Definitely buy used. Buy the best low miler you can find, JKU Wranglers are everywhere. There must be one with yer name in it.

Wranglers are pretty bullet proof with solid axles, body on frame, pretty easy access to everything. And a massive after market.

I knew I had looked it up before, but OB is 73.3 cu. ft with seats down, 4 door Wrangler is 72.4. So I guess it's a wash. That actually makes me feel better. The Bronco is 83 cu. ft. Used seems like the only way to go.

cjohns716

Anything will get stuck in deep snow. Keep the Outback.
True, but the day I'm thinking about in particular was maybe ~8-10 inches of snow, and the issue was dragging the undercarriage through. A couple more inches would have helped. Plus a true low range to stop spinning and slowly crawl out. Tried shoving my floor mats under there and they'd just get flung away.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had a legacy GT 5spd and a mint J80 for 10yrs . Wife had her own car. The GT was by far hands down superior to the OB even had lower closer spaced ratios was better at towing my boat and running the mountains than the OB in 2010 I got the cvt OB and sold the J80 picked up a cherry 07 Sequoia. The Sequoia saw far more action than the OB vs the old GT crushed the piggy J80 so saw more trips and off road.

Today the OB and the Sequoia were replaced with one rig. 2019 Expedition Platinum heavy tow with rear Elocker. Love it!!!!! I see trip mileage almost as good as my OB. Example when we ran 26-27mpg averages the Expedition sees 23mpg averages. Towing my 4x8 the Expedition runs 19-21mpg averages the OB identical lol. In town daily kid hauling stuff 17-18mpg expedition the OB ran 19-21mpg. Both run about the same range only one had 180hp and the other has 400hp?.
No way in hell would I go Taco after the 07 4.7v8 and the 4.6L in the J80. After doing a few trips in the Expedition its a damn nice rig. The Bronco is cool but not very big.
Your Expedition far exceeds the EPA estimates. Keep it. https://www.google.com/search?q=201...me..69i57.15491j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just did 350 miles with 4 bikes and a roof box gas pump average was 19.5 65-70mph. Bikes are a vertical hitch rack and poke up above the rear hatch by about 14 inches. They are a 2-3mpg hit at 70. If they were on the roof they are a 4-6mpg hit. The ob we ran two bikes on the roof each side of the roof box we ran 18mpg trip averages

TwinStick

Explorer
I'd say that the trick is to make the most of what you have. Maximize it to work great for your needs. Every vehicle breaks down and can get stuck. Know your vehicle, it's limits and your limits. So many people don't get out there because they think you gotta have all the bells and whistles. You don't, get out there and you will find your groove. We have had many great times in our Subarus and with others who have Subarus. We currently have a 18' Forester and our ZR2 diesel. The ZR2 is our choice for off road obviously but the Subaru still does plenty of gravel/dirt road travel and adventures.

billiebob

True, but the day I'm thinking about in particular was maybe ~8-10 inches of snow, and the issue was dragging the undercarriage through. A couple more inches would have helped. Plus a true low range to stop spinning and slowly crawl out. Tried shoving my floor mats under there and they'd just get flung away.
there are a few myths here

in snow low range is not an advantage.... traction in snow is better in high range and 2nd gear.... remembering winters in the 1970s, Ford automatics had the ability to select 2, and start in second gear from a stop.... that was always the winning gear for winter traction.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Keep the outback, buy a higher mileage 4 Runner for a dedicated adventure rig, 89.7 cubic feet of space, bigger than your current rig and can sleep in the back if you need to. Or trade the outback and get a newer 4 runner same result. Unless you need the truck bed for truck stuff, I own a Taco because I use the bed for truck stuff, when camping, I wish I had the 4 runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78