Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper

rstl99

Adventurer
Hi all,
I've decided to stick with the stock tire size on my 96 2500 4x4 auto CTD (245-75-16). That means I can keep the stock wheels and only buy 4 tires (2 of my existing tires can serve well as spares), which makes the cost more reasonable.

My truck has an Alaskan camper loaded on the back (about 2000 lbs dry). I have the "camper package" on the truck (2 additional springs and sway bar on the back) so weight capacity is not an issue with this camper. The tires I will get will be E rated obviously.

Though the truck will be driven mainly on highway, I do intend on taking it "off the beaten path" sometimes (gravel or dirt roads), and also intend on driving it to Labrador and up the Alaska and Dempster highways (which are mainly gravel). For this reason I want a tire that is very tough so I don't have to worry about sidewall damages or other issues on the remote gravel roads.

My choices have narrowed to these:

1. Toyo M55 (cost and road noise are the two main negative marks I see in reviews and testimonies).

2. Toyo Open Country HT Tuff Duty (more of a highway tire so I don't know how well it would handle 100's of miles of gravel roads)

3. Cooper Discoverer AT3 (newer tire so not much track record on it, though its predecessor ATR seemed to be well rated)

If not for the potential noise issue of the M55, it could probably be the perfect tire for me. Some people say noise is an issue, some say it isn't. My CTD is not totally quiet, but I'm concerned about a persistent noise that could drive me nuts after a while.

I realize that my needs being rather varied, I may have to find the best compromise in my choice, in the end.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dodge camper1.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With that list, and my experience, Id advise you to also look at the BFG commercial traction TA :ylsmoke:

BCHauler

Adventurer
The Cooper ST Maxx looks like a good tire. My neighbor has a new Ram 3500 that he hauls a camper with and that's what he runs. Good looking tire.

fisher205

Explorer
I have the M-55's on CTD with and Alaskan Camper and you won't notice the tire noise over the Cummins. Especially after you've turned the stereo up enough to hear it over the Cummins. I don't think any of the 3 choices is going to have a problem with gravel roads and the commercial tires recommended by IdaSHO should work well also. In fact I've hoping he would update how they are working on his rig. The roads you are talking about traveling aren't really that bad. They are probably better maintained than most of the rural roads I drive around here. Remember these are major traveled roads that gravel just works better than asphalt due to frost breakup.

Brad

rstl99

Adventurer
I have the M-55's on CTD with and Alaskan Camper and you won't notice the tire noise over the Cummins. Especially after you've turned the stereo up enough to hear it over the Cummins. I don't think any of the 3 choices is going to have a problem with gravel roads and the commercial tires recommended by IdaSHO should work well also. In fact I've hoping he would update how they are working on his rig. The roads you are talking about traveling aren't really that bad. They are probably better maintained than most of the rural roads I drive around here. Remember these are major traveled roads that gravel just works better than asphalt due to frost breakup.
Brad
Hi Brad, nice to hear from you since you have a very similar setup to mine, and went with the M55's. I'm seriously leaning that way, and sounds like the noise issue some people have complained about on different forums may not in fact be much of an issue with a Cummins truck!
Good point in that those major northern roads are usually well maintained (unless one is travelling in foul weather or springtime after thaw). I recall driving the trans-labrador a few years ago in a Land Rover 110, and being passed by a Toyota Echo going a fair clip. So yeah, sometimes we underestimate condition of those roads. Mind you, when there is construction going on, it can be rough going on the detours. Going off the beaten path in more marginal roads up there would be a different matter, and that's where a good commercial tire like M55 would provided added confidence.

The tire costs I'm getting locally are around: - please mind that I'm in Canada, and that in spite of NAFTA and parity dollars, vehicle parts and accessories are notoriously more expensive up here

stock 245-75-16:
- Toyo M55 $280 each, $1300 for 4 installed with taxes etc. (can keep one of my current tires as spare)
- Cooper AT3 $250 each, around $1160 for 4 installed
- Uniroyal Transforce AT $240 each, around $1100 for 4 installed

265-75-16:
- Toyo M55 $310 each, around $1700 for 5 installed - I would need to buy a spare in that size
- Cooper AT3 $255 each, $1500 for 5 installed
- Toyo Open Country HT TD $310 each, $1700 for 5 installed

So bottom line: Staying with the stock size would cost me around $400 less for the set of 4 (however that would leave me with unmatched and 6-7 year old spare). M55's only about $200 more for a set than comparative options.

Pondering all this...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
All the loggers around here and all the way down the west coast of both Canada and the US seem to run the M55s. I think that is a pretty good idea of what sort of use and road conditions they stand up to.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
With that list, and my experience, Id advise you to also look at the BFG commercial traction TA :ylsmoke:

+1 on the BFG Comm Traction if they have your size. The BFG ATKO and Goodyear Silent Armors may also be worth looking into.

Are you sure you don't want to try a 275-75 r16 tire. Pretty sure those will fit your stock wheels.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I don't think any of the 3 choices is going to have a problem with gravel roads and the commercial tires recommended by IdaSHO should work well also. In fact I've hoping he would update how they are working on his rig.

Ive got about 25k on them now, and am just starting to see wear. Stickiest (on ice) non-studded winter tire Ive ever ran, and handle great on all surfaces. They do meet severe winter duty requirements, so the compound may be softer than otherwise, but they seem to be wearing great. They do make a bit of noise, but definitely less than the M-55's. Only time I hear the noise on my Powerstroke is off/very light throttle at speeds greater than 40mph.

I run than @ 70PSI with the camper on. We took a trip down to southern Oregon last weekend, about 950 miles round trip. We averaged 17.2mpg:ylsmoke: Not bad for an old Powerstroke with an auto trans

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Out here the mines equip all their pickups with the Toyo M-55 or Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain tires. They seem to handle the rocks and rough terrain with the least amount of problems.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
You really should consider complementing your rig with larger tires having more load rating first size that comes to mind is 285/75/16 e which generally has a 3,750 lb load rating @ 80 psi so when airing down when needed the tire will still surpass the rating of what you run now.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
285s will fit under the Dodge with no problem. IdaSHO, what are the specs on your rig? Year, trans tire size, camper size?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
'96 F250 Powerstroke 4x4

Stock sized tires 235/85-16

E40D Auto trans

Camper weighs 2600lbs or so wet. We are sitting at 9600lbs loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears