Choosing Truck Size: tips from experienced expeditioners?

Stafford

Im trying to decide between an Izusu NPS sized vehicle or an Izusu FTS sized vehicle.
To build a 4x4 housetruck, with a fold down side stage to expand living area when parked, and also use as a music stage on occasion to put on gigs in the bush at Communities etc.

Its difficult to choose the size of vehicle, while the NPS would be more convenient around towns, with parking restrictions etc, the FTS may give a little more room.

I think the maximum body lengths would only differ by about one meter though, 4.5 on the NPS to 5.4 on the FTS.

Does anyone have any advice for me? My principle has been the smaller the truck, the cheaper to run, cheaper to license, cheaper tires, les of a pain in the ******** in general. But I might regret not going large in the long run! If I can get about the same sized body onto an NPS that would make sense right?

Howard70

Adventurer
Priorities - getting there versus being there?

Hello Stafford:

I don't have any experience with a stage nor concerts. I have driven different vehicles through several tracks in the western US and Mexico. That experience has convinced me that I get around best in the smallest truck I can use to fit my needs. I'd say that if you have to have a stage when you get somewhere and you want that stage to be part of your truck then you'll do well with the smallest truck that will carry your stage and house. If the stage isn't a mandatory priority then I would go for the smaller house and smaller truck and the ability to get more places easily. Larger might be more comfortable once you get to one of the fewer places accessible to you, but if you can't get somewhere you want to reach that comfort might not count for much?

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan