Chronicling of the Tardis (Quad Cab Dakota)

The-Buck

Greetings everyone,

Recently I replaced my tired ole 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2001 Quad Cab Dakota. While I didn't have the Jeep for a long time, and thus not a long history with it, I always have loved Jeeps. Mostly because my first career was working at a Dodge Six Pack dealer (points for anyone who knows what the six packs were), and that was my formal college educated profession. So, I've seen a lot of Jeeps and had pleasure of working on them for about 10 years. Somewhere deep in my mind Jeeps hold the esteem of being the true off road vehicle of choice, and someday I will have another. But that's a story for a different time.

This is all about my Quad cab Dakota, another old familiar friend that I have grown to cherish. Sure, they have had their fair share of negative press (ball joints, 4.7L engine troubles, which is mostly due to lack of care imho). This story begins with the search for a family friendly truck, with plenty of room for my wife and kids as well as cargo capacity. I found what was soon to be mine on craigslist of all places, for the measly sum of $1500!

I guess I should fill you in on some background here, I live in Minnesota where the roads are paved with salt.. Yes I said salt.. So what this means is that almost every car/truck that is more than 2 years old has extensive 'character' (read; rust). Wheel wells are trimmed by mother nature rather than cut for tire clearance. It's rare to find a truck that doesn't have some sort of rust, so when I found this 2001 that has minimal rust I was pretty happy. Sure there is some rust, but nothing that can't be repaired if my heart desires.

So after flopping down some cash, I had myself a Quad Cab Dakota! As she currently sits, I have replaced the tires with something a little more suitable for mild off road adventures, will be replacing the worn out shocks, and doing a t-bar adjustment as soon as this %$&^% rain stops...

Small note about the title change, every good vehicle needs a name and while talking with a friend it was mentioned that the quad cab was bigger on the inside than it looks. Thus the Dakota was reborn as 'The Tardis', oh and it's also blue :bigok:

01 Dak.jpgTardis1.jpg

Last edited:

AZJim

Observer
Nice looking Dakota. The 4.7 is a good engine. My Jeep with that engine has over 120,000 and is doing fine, with the exception of valve cover gaskets starting to seep.
I know there were factory skid plates available, but don't remember if there were tow hooks. Should make a good vehicle and fun project.

Jim

The-Buck

When I purchased this truck a few weeks ago it only had 263,000 miles on it, just getting broken in I'd say!

This past weekend I managed to get the front shocks replaced, and man did they need it! The driver side shock was completely blown out and didn't have any support left at all. Tardis2.jpg Tardis3.jpgTardis4.jpg

While I had the wheels off, I also was able to get a much better look at the tie rod ends and those are now on the short list of thing that need replacement.
Tardis5.jpg

I was planning on giving the torsion bars a few turns, but the bolts were heavily corroded so they got a heavy dose of rust penetrating oil. I'll soak them a few more times over the next few weeks and then hit them again. While lubing the bolts I did notice that there is only about 1.5" left for the bolts to go, so at some point I may get the keys to give it just a bit more lift.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78