CJ-6 "Rat Bastard"

billiebob

Just for you billiebob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you just add Lower Alabama too....
Cuz L.A. is not a spot I really want to visit but Alabama is one of those hot spots I love.
Complete cultural shock for the Canadian boy, and fabulous food. I've only flown there for conferences,
One of these years... Its a bucket list spot to tour by camper, overlander,
Alabama is one of the few places where I love the city life.

dibsen

Adventurer
Well y'all, I reached a decisional point today. I either need to transition into phase 2, tear down, or consider dropping her off with my mechanic to get running. After getting everything wired up and ready to crank, as soon as we connected the battery smoke started to billow from behind the dash. I am really hesitant to mess with the wires any further, its just not a strong suit of mine and I don't want to torch the whole thing.

Attachments

• alt splice.jpg
    alt splice.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • dizzy power.jpg
    dizzy power.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • altinator wire.jpg
    altinator wire.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • battery HEI.jpg
    battery HEI.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15

billiebob

err to caution....
often a good mechanic can fix a problem in minutes
might be the best money spent

with something almost 50 years old, who knows what lurks behind the dash
if you find the right mechanic who thinks this is a cool project you will get a lot of goodwill and free advice

Last edited:

dibsen

Adventurer
I pulled off the dash panel today and the wiring isn't that bad. The wire I am holding is coming off the ammeter and looks like it has been completely fried! I think this was the cause of smoke when I hooked up the battery last week.

What I can't figure out is why it burnt up before the key was turned. Now maybe my son had the ignition key already turned to "ON" why I connected the negative cable.

I'm getting ready to peel off the old electric tape and see if I can either replace the wire or bypass the meter.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

dibsen

Adventurer
While the wiring isn't terrible, there is no fuse block. This puts me in an analysis paralysis state because if I am going to strip all the wiring and put in a new painless kit, I'm going to want to strip everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger