CJ to TJ what to expect

craig333

Expedition Leader
Decided to get a nice new 2004 (compared to my 60 year old CJ) TJ and just wondering what others who have done similar have experienced. Other than being able to drive on the freeway I'm not expecting a whole lot of difference cept maybe having ac now :)

oldnslow

Observer
I went from a well used (and abused) 2nd hand 76 CJ5 to a brand new 99 TJ. They were more different than similar.

1st gear is a lot lower so you don't need 4 lo as often, the steering is way more precise (it actually goes where you steer it), more power, FAR FAR better brakes, more comfortable seats, more room behind the seats, lower center of gravity aided by the wider track makes it far more stable on road and off road, the T-case shifts easier, the transmission shifts nicer and with better feel, it doesn't rain inside when the roof is up, the side mirrors are better positioned, the seat is lower so your head doesn't hit the roof, I guess the list is endless.

I really liked that TJ and I still kick myself sometimes for selling it after only 19 years in the seat. The only issue was the 99 didn't have antilock brakes and liked to go sideways (and quickly!) with heavy braking. I believe a 2004 will have the antilock brakes.

driveby

Umm, as an ex 86.5 CJ7 owner and a 97 TJ owner…. It’s not the same. TJ rides so much better. But I could sit in the CJ engine bay and do work. TJ is black box magic, the CJ is old school carb. TJ rides so much better but it’s still a Wrangler - short wheelbase, high clearance fun truck. The CJ7 ate me out of house and home as a college student but I still miss the simplicity.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I think the TJ/LJ is probably the best all around Jeep ever built. I have a 2016 JK Unlimited but still long for a LJ Rubicon with a manual transmission.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think the TJ/LJ is probably the best all around Jeep ever built. I have a 2016 JK Unlimited but still long for a LJ Rubicon with a manual transmission.
It's a close toss-up between the TJ and XJ platforms IMO.
The TJ is my favorite "Jeep looking" Jeep of modern times... (The MB being the best looking Jeep of course...) while the XJ was for a long time the most capable out of the box, and offered the most utility IMO. Of course the Rubicon TJ was a clear winner for capability with lockers front and rear but the XJ offered better clearance under the middle out of the box. A belly up skidplate on a TJ puts it back in the lead...

And the best TJ year? 1999 unless you want Rubicon... '99 was the first year for the dial HVAC which works much better than the sliders, and the last year for a distributor engine, which runs better than the '00+ WJ engine, particularly when cold. Last year for the Aisin manual trans too, which I like a little better than the NV transmissions that came in the 2000+ TJs. Other notable improvements were the 2003+ fuel tank skidplate that was actually useful, and the '03+ Rubicon package, but the '03+ center skid was awful, and I don't care for the mercedes steering gear either, also '03+...

OP: You'll probably notice that the TJ will out climb your old CJ... They flex and ride so much better offroad, especially if you get a disconnect on the front sway bar. Manual trans shifts smoother, 4.0L pretty nice to drive overall. Low range a good bit lower too. Interior actually kinda nice, heater works, wind noise not as bad... I think you'll like it. :)

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
There's a HUGE difference. Almost like moving into a car.
The coil spring suspension is plush and supple compared to the old leaf spring tech. Fuel injection benefits over carb, especially when dealing with drastic elevation changes. The interior is a bit more thought out and geared toward the driver's experience and ability to interact with the vehicle and it's systems. I had a '78 CJ 5 and have since moved into an '05 TJ. The CJ could do 60, but it was working hard to stay there. Any more and the 360 would wrap out because of the gearing. The TJ will do 80 if it has to, but it's much happier going slower.

There are some downsides... there's more plastics, the suspensions can develop death wobble more easily as the hand full of parts that control it get worn. They are prone to killing oil pressure sending units, roll over check valves on fuel tank, and most of them have D35 rear axles. So really nothing major.

Please post pix if you decide to make the switch!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
OP: You'll probably notice that the TJ will out climb your old CJ... They flex and ride so much better offroad, especially if you get a disconnect on the front sway bar. :)

^This! By far the biggest improvement! I was astounded at how much better the coil suspension articulated, especially with the sway bar disconnected. It was almost hard to get a wheel to leave the ground in twisty terrain!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, when I first got my TJ going all my friends had YJ's. We went to Moab and they were all lifting tires everywhere and taking pictures. I'd get to the obstacle and spider right through with little drama. My TJ pics are lame comparatively, but it does make for a lot more capability...

ThundahBeagle

craig333

Expedition Leader
Yes, drilling holes for the safety chains. Nurse wouldn't remove the stitches. Said I'd just rip it open working on something. Probably shouldn't have mentioned I own a Jeep :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior