CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

timgr

Observer
IIRC '74 was the first year for the body-colored windshield frames. Prior to that, they were all black.

I would paint it body color, if it were mine.

"Sand Tan" a 1977 Jeep color is also a nice, rich tan, between the two colors you show. If it were mine, I would paint it the original color.

timgr

Observer
IIRC '74 was the first year for the body-colored windshield frames. Prior to that, they were all black.

I would paint it body color, if it were mine. JMO - the loss of the bus wheel makes it more like a later Jeep than the windshield color ever will. But do what pleases you ...

"Sand Tan" a 1977 Jeep color is also a nice, rich tan, between the two colors you show. If it were mine, I would paint it the original color, or at least a 1974 color. The intermediate Jeeps ('72-75) are distinct in themselves, and an original color will be appreciated by those in the know. "Fawn Beige" is an original color. What's the color code?

Your point of view is totally appreciated. The Fawn Beige color is very compelling, and, as you say, era correct.

My justification for making the body color choice was that the originality ship had already sailed. Most people can identify with the early Jeeps, and Jeep's marketing campaigns of the 60's were absolutely spot on with the practical utilitarian nature of a Jeep CJ. The 70's ushered in the beer and beach balls marketing, which isn't what I think of when I think of Jeep. So why didn't I build an earlier Jeep? Well honestly, I think they're completely sub par. This '74 model has a far superior frame, axles, steering components yet still retains the simplicity of the previous generation. By blending the two: the appearance of the previous generation, and the strength of the later model, it's a could-have-been mixture, a best of the best.

All that said, I would like to find out more about my Jeep, but I don't know how to decode the data plate. Maybe you could help with that?

I was able to figure it out. The paint code comes up as Fairway Green, with trim code vinyl "buff". I assume buff is something other than black.

Fairway Green isn't a bad color. I really was set on some sort of beige, but as long as it doesn't look military, I could go for green.

timgr

Observer
"Buff" is tan/beige vinyl - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buff_(colour) Aside from the special "Levis" packages, in this era there was black or buff vinyl, and either bucket seats or a 2/3-1/3 bench seat.

I bought a new Fairway Green Poly CJ-5 in 1973 (I was much younger then). I like that color. Very popular color at the time, only available in 1973 and 1974. "Poly" means metallic, if you had not known. Metallic will be harder to shoot than a solid color, but you probably have connections to a painter that can handle whatever color you choose. I believe the original paint was a single-stage acrylic enamel, which would give you somewhat less shine and depth than modern BC/CC finishes. I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

Another thing that may be of interest - 1974 was the first year for a factory-installed roll bar. It would have been painted body color.

Last edited:
There's a clear division of style between the '60's and 70's Jeep CJ. My original plan was to build it with styling cues associated with the early models. No roll bar, non metallic paint, earth tone colors, black windshield.

I'm on the fence, but if I went with the later color, I feel like I'd have to go with the whole package.

timgr

Observer
Well, I kinda get what you are driving at. The CJ-5 did not change much 1955 through 1971, aside from offering the Buick V6 1966-1971. When AMC bought Jeep from Kaiser in 1970, the first significant changes they made were in 1972, when they switched to their own engines (the 232 and 258 six, and the 304 V8), lengthening the wheelbase to accommodate AMC's excellent inline sixes. They also upgraded the steering, brakes, transfer case, transmissions, heater, and axles, among other less obvious changes, incorporating the mods that Jeep owners had previously been installing on their own. The CJs remained basically unchanged through 1975, with the same chassis and components. 1976 was the watershed year, where AMC redesigned almost every system of the CJ-5, and introduced a new model, the CJ-7.

So your 1974 Jeep is really on the cusp of the old jeep - new jeep divide, as you see it. You could push it either way with a few detail changes.

That's precisely the way I see it. If it were a later Jeep, I'd have a harder time pushing the idea.

On a side note, finding correct paint colors is proving to be a problem. As most of you may know, California paints are different and work well when the painter knows what he's working with, but making custom colors in CA blends is prohibitively expensive. I could jump the border into NV and get something mixed up, but I think we're going to look into stock colors. I've already found a stock color that is pretty close to identical to the Harvest Tan, now I just need to pull the trigger and get it.

More body work. The fenders and grill needed some attention, but I could have sworn that the hood was in good shape. I guess blasting it revealed the previous hidden crunch in the front corner. Luckily I am good with metal, it's only time and patience.

Hood in all its blasted, clean metal glory. Notice the crunch in the lower right corner of the pic.

Needed to remove the inner structural rib to get to the skin. The structure was crunched too, so I robbed one from another hood I had laying around and cleaned it up to put back in this hood. I made one mod to it before install though, a reinforcement plate under the hood latch area. These are common fail points, so the added metal ought to be a real benefit.

It's funny that the original hood had only 6 or 7 spot welds holding the rib in place. The other hood had at least 20 spot welds. Inconsistencies at the factory...

As mentioned, the passenger side corner of the hood took a hit at some point. I made a template from the other side, which was in great shape, so that I could make sure the side I was repairing was the same. It wasn't, so some cutting, bending and welding brought it back into shape. Probably better than original.

Panel straightened, structural rib cleaned and primed underneath, it was time to marry the two.

Using large gobs of seam sealer in specified locations, the rear lip of the structure is bonded loosely (presumably to allow for flex without cracking) to the skin of the hood. I overdid it a tad, but better safe than sorry. Besides, you won't see the bond unless you're looking for it.

Welded and bonded, the only thing left is to smooth out the welds and make it look factory again.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Incredible work. Any idea what year the other hood was from? Just curious if there was a model year change or like you alluded to a different day/guy factor to explain the spot weld difference.
Jack

Thanks Jack. You guys getting sunlight up there in Reno today? I love winter, but enough is enough.

The other hood was also a 1974 hood. I'm not surprised anymore when I come across glaringly obvious differences. This was a tough time for Jeep.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Incredible skills, Jeep is looking better than new. Makes ours look like a pile haha

Interesting read through the color choice discussion. I was never much interested in paint but I love old Jeep history and that was really cool, and now you've got me interested in paint codes and factory color options for the first time, really interesting stuff.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jack. You guys getting sunlight up there in Reno today? I love winter, but enough is enough.

The other hood was also a 1974 hood. I'm not surprised anymore when I come across glaringly obvious differences. This was a tough time for Jeep.

You are welcome. And yes we did. I was a pretty nice day overall. I hate to complain because water is always nice, but like you I'm getting over it.

That is amazing, I knew there were differences, but I didn't realize there could be that much.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears