Classic Safari Kit

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, so I am hopeless when it comes to the classic Safari scene, with an old Series Land Rover or Land Cruiser and a heavy canvas tent, campaign chairs, classic cookware, etc.

I thought it would be fun to have this thread as a collecting point for links to classic kit resellers, images and ideas. Someday, I will build an old 4wd and fill it full of 40 year old gear and drive until my back gives out, probably somewhere in mainland Mexico. Maybe a couple of us could give it a shot...

So, what have you got? I will try to consolodate them in the first post. It doesnt have to be really old stuff, but should look in place in this picture

IMG_0496.jpg

This is a picture from Jonathan and Roseann, somewhere in Africa

Here are a few of mine that were easy to find:

Furniture (preferably the British Campaign stuff)-

Lewis Drake

Kermit Chair

Galley Kit-

Volcano Kettle- Not sure if Nathan is still selling these

Tents-

Caranex Canvas

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I love the idea of this thread. The only thing I fear is that most items will most likely have a high price point and will be out of my range.
Here is a site that sells some nice stuff and they look like they are close to you.

http://www.barefootinteriors.com/

I think if you go full bore though you'll have to sport a hat like this guy as well.:archaeolo :p

Edit: Didn't the guys from the GCEC have some nice stuff as well?

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Lost Canadian said:

Yes, they had some really nice equipment - chairs, tables and even those beautiful canvas seat covers. It was quite expensive though...

Hopefully they will finish their website soon.

Pete

Colorado Ron

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Maybe a couple of us could give it a shot...

Just tell me when! Ill be jump on board for that one! I know of a guy that has about 500k miles on an old Jeep Overland Wagon that looks like it has exactly that many miles! He runs it back and forth to South America every other year. That thing just has the classic look that you cant buy! Its something that has to be earned!

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
Lost Canadian said:
I love the idea of this thread. The only thing I fear is that most items will most likely have a high price point and will be out of my range.
Here is a site that sells some nice stuff and they look like they are close to you.

http://www.barefootinteriors.com/

I think if you go full bore though you'll have to sport a hat like this guy as well.:archaeolo :p

Wow, those are some sweet tents they have:
http://www.exclusivetents.com/indaba.html

Scott Brady

Founder
That is impressive. I think there is a resurgence in stuff that isn't junk. Last a lifetime.

I have a trunk from our family from 1912. It crossed the country in a wagon. I still have the shipping tags. It is beautiful and loved.

I have been buying SandStorm bags and am loving it. Just something about leather and canvas. Of course, made even more cool by the fact that they are made IN Kenya, BY Kenyans. Sweet.

picture-94.jpg

tpatching

Observer
Roorkhee fan

I am hand building the classic Roorkhee chair. I acquired what I believe is an original vintage chair, and I am reproducing it. Leather, heavy canvas, hardwood maple, oak, and copper.

IMG_6245.jpg
If I am staying in camp for a full day or two I will bring the Roorkee's every time. What it is not, is a light weight folder that can be taken up and down in seconds.

Hafwit

Adventurer
That looks very nice. What would you say the weight limit is? Also, the original chairs used teak (I believe) and I wonder if the wood you have chosen will hold up as well over time. Other than a cost difference, what made you decide to go with your wood choices?

Cheers,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears