Cleaning ARB fridge.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Friends ARB fridge, opened it after a year or more since last used. About knocked me on my backside. Had a small amount of liquid in it.

I was going to remove the inner liner till i realized it's actually the cooling unit. So i layed the fridge on it's side (i'll let it sit upright before powering up) and sprayed a generous amount of Lysol inside. Can i hose the unit out? I'm wanting to get the area behind the inner cooling unit and the outter body.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've never hosed mine out, then again I havn't really turned it off in 3-4 years so it never builds up any serious cooler funk. Every 4-5 trips I will empty it into the house fridge and turn if off with the lid open for an hour or two. The condensation on the cooling unit melts off and I wipe it out with paper towels and a little clorox bleach. Repack it and its good to go.

You can unscrew the cooling apparatus from the housing, being careful with the lines I'd think you could flex it enough to get a rag back there?

Last edited:

RgrBox

Adventurer
You can take some Bleach / Clorine add a cap full to a 5 gallon bucket of water and rinse it out with this. You can probaly wash it with regular diswashing soap first, and rinse well. Don't worry about rinsing after you use the bleach due to teh fact that it will evaporate afterwards anyway. All resturants where I am from are required to rinse with a cap ull of bleach in water after cleaning anyway..

RB

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I sprayed/washed the heck out of it with Lysol all purpose cleaner. I'll back this up with some water/bleach solution and let it sit with lid open overnight. Then tomorrow close it and plug it in.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Don't forget to put a box of baking soda in there, too, to absorb any remainder smell - just like you would in your home fridge.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
After a horrendous spill of salsa in mine, I had food bits stuck between the walls and the cooling element. I used my power washer with a thin, wide pattern and was able to easily remove anything caught in there.

Bleach (a little goes a long way) and baking soda will help. It may take several treatments. I'm not sure if the walls are made of a porous material, but if they are, there may not be a permanent remedy.

If you are able to get this sorted out, for future trips I recommend pulling the lid and letting all the ice melt, then wipe it down good and either leave the lid propped open or leave it off until the next trip. Sometimes I pull the green mat, place it in the basket (so that it doesn't hold moisture against the bottom), and place the lid inside the basket.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman