Cleaning Gen III Intake Manifold

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'm in the midst of my tear down for my engine refresh (timing belt, valve seals, head gasket, etc) and because I've only got a couple of hours at a time last night I finally got the air intake manifold off. It looks horrendous...

IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0317.jpg
IMAG0316.jpg

Certainly it needs a bit of a cleanup, but my question is how clean should I make it, and is there a best tool to do so.

My intention is to try simple green first, followed by brake parts cleaner to strip off as much of the varnish as I can, and then look upstream and downstream as much as possible for other stuff to clean up, is there a better way to do this?

Also, it seems dirtier than I would expect for an intake manifold, any thoughts on why?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've a similar discovery on my gen 2.5, actually mine looks worse. Theory is a bad EGR valve. Solution recommended by IncorporatedX was a cleaner called PurplePower.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
I used diesel fuel and then carb cleaner to clean mine. Purple power and like cleaner/degreasers are very acidic and will etch aluminum.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Warm dishwasher soap bath soak then brake cleaner. You can make it like new. It will look like this:

2014-06-25%2017.20.57%20(Small).jpg

Good time to red loctite the butterfly valves.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
oooh, shiny!

I'm just finishing up pulling everything down to the heads, I'll start the cleaning and rebuilding this weekend, it looks like it should go well, if a bit tedious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan