Clothing color considerations for expo travel

overlander

Expedition Leader
This thread was inspired by the discussion of the currently offered OJ ExOfficio shirt thread that is offered in a brownish olive color. luangwablondes had mentioned that the color was an attractent to Tsetse flies on the African continent. This made me think that there may be more considerations when choosing colors in clothing for domestic and international travel. Some colors may have considerations that may have a social, security, environmental and/or ecological climate dimension to them. This thread is a brainstorm to lay out these considerations, and have a fact based debate on pros and cons. It is also related to the vehicle color thread.

Off the top of my head, I've listed these potential consideration to get started:
  1. Attractant to parasites (Tsetse fly, etc)
  2. Paramilitary suggestive colors that can attract unwanted attention
  3. High vis colors (rescue) versus natural camouflage colors
  4. Heat absorbing vs reflecting colors
  5. Cultural sensitivities of specific colors in the 3rd world

haven

Expedition Leader
Add to the criteria colors that are noticeable by wildlife (other than flies).

To avoid drawing attention, I usually wear light tan and different shades
of khaki in the field. White, red, bright yellow, and bright blue are easily seen by birds. When birds are disturbed, they alert other animals nearby.

Many fish species and some invertebrates (honey bees and butterflies, for example) have good color vision. I haven't tried sneaking up on these members of the animal kingdom.

jdayment

Observer
I would say natural earth colors most bugs are attracted to the brighter color because they look like flowers.

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Dark colors attract tsetse flies. Especially blues and blacks. That particular shirt gave me no end of grief in Africa, until I figured out that it was the problem.

A popular means of tsetse control is use of a blue clothe to attract the fly. It is very effective.

I once thought I was hallucinating while doing a bit of bundubashing in the Southern part of South Luangwa NP Zambia. The tsetses were horrendous, it was hot, no ac and the windows were closed to keep them out. The spare tire on the bonnet seemed to be moving. It took several long seconds for me to realise the spare was covered in tsetses.

The thing about tsetses, they are so damn hard to kill, their bite is real painful, they can bite through cloth, and you want to scratch the bite, which only makes it worse. When you swat one of them, they just get up, shake it off, and return with a vengence. Makes Bruce Willis look like a wimp. Imagine hundreds, no make that thousands on the hunt for little ole thin skinned you. This is what keeps parts of Africa from being populated by people and their cattle.

P.S. Leave your camo clothing behind if going on safari in Africa. It draws the wrong kind of attention from authorities and could land you in jail.

Last edited:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Dark colors attract tsetse flies. Especially blues and blacks. That particular shirt gave me no end of grief in Africa, until I figured out that it was the problem.

A popular means of tsetse control is use of a blue clothe to attract the fly. It is very effective.

I once thought I was hallucinating while doing a bit of bundubashing in the Southern part of South Luangwa NP Zambia. The tsetses were horrendous, it was hot, no ac and the windows were closed to keep them out. The spare tire on the bonnet seemed to be moving. It took several long seconds for me to realise the spare was covered in tsetses.

The thing about tsetses, they are so damn hard to kill, their bite is real painful, they can bite through cloth, and you want to scratch the bite, which only makes it worse. When you swat one of them, they just get up, shake it off, and return with a vengence. Makes Bruce Willis look like a wimp. Imagine hundreds, no make that thousands on the hunt for little ole thin skinned you. This is what keeps parts of Africa being populated by people and their cattle.

P.S. Leave your camo clothing behind if going on safari in Africa. It draws the wrong kind of attention from authorities and could land you in jail.

Makes sense, tsetse flies hang out on buffalo, so a dark cloth looks like one to the fly.

jdayment

Observer
I agree with you on the camo I've been in some countries where it is illegal to where camo unless you are part of their military. I am glad there are no Thetse's where I am.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Interesting stuff about the bugs. I tend to wear lighter colors in the summer and darks in the fall/winter. I'd rather wear tan than white because white doesn't last more than 3 minutes on the trail.

Interesting stuff about the bugs. I tend to wear lighter colors in the summer and darks in the fall/winter. I'd rather wear tan than white because white doesn't last more than 3 minutes on the trail.

Try one second, and it just screams, "DON'T TOUCH ME! N0BODY AND NO ANIMALS GET ANYWHERE NEAR ME!! AHH! HERE COMES A SAND STORM! ARRRRGHHHH!"

No thanks! I stopped buying towels with any white in it for that reason. They look bad QUICKLY. You probably have to use 1000% bleach to keep them looking nice (as if such a product exists).

This is my long-winded way of saying I hate white! I like the tans, grays, and olives, as they hide the dirt well and I can get away with not laundering them as much.

Stephanie

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
The color PANTS. For men that is.
Other wise restrict travel to the U.S. and Australia.

uummmm

WHAT???

-------------

The white bit, OH YEAH I hate white clothing!
I avoid it all the time, at home or not, just not worth bothering trying to keep it clean!

Cheers, interesting thread.

Some African countries that formerly had a proscription on camo clothing no longer do. I can't speak for all of them. But, unless you're hunting, there probably isn't a compelling reason to wear camo. I tend to wear khaki and sage more than any other colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior