Coating NATO jerry cans with bedliner/Linex?

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I'm looking for a more durable exterior coating for the two NATO jerry cans that I own. I'm constantly touching up the paint on them from normal use after each outing. My initial thought was to install a set of Frontrunner's Jerry Can Protectors (http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ers/front-runner-jerry-can-protector-kit.html), but a $15 a set (and I need two sets) I think they are a bit steep and there is no protection for the bottom of the can - which inevitably gets dinged up when the can is placed on concrete at the gas station.
-
...so I did some brainstorming and I think the best solution would be the application of an oil-resistant bedliner product (something like Linex) to each can from the base of the fill neck down. This would protect the entire can's surface from abrasions and potential punctures. I also have a shop here in town that will coat both cans for under $50 - which I think is a good deal.
-
At this point, my internet research hasn't yielded much info. I've mulled this over for awhile and I can't think of any reason this would be a bad idea, but before I shell out $50 and permanently modify my jerry cans, I want to run it by the forum. What do you guys think?

wildorange

Observer
I've half a dozen & planning the same thing & looking at using 'Hamerite Paint' & see how that goes, unsure what the equivalent & recommended would be where you are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I would talk to the shop doing the work and ask if the liner they're using will be affected by gas at all first.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Would the plastic coating create static issues? I've always thought one of the great things about a metal can is that it won't pick up as much static charge sliding or rattling in a carrier versus equivalent plastic one.

rayra

Expedition Leader
money would be better spent on psychological counseling.
or just get some plastic MFCs and quit worrying about chipped paint.
or just chemically strip the cans, using self-etching primer and a good coat of epoxy paint.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've seen a couple of cans that had the bottom half done in some sort of bed liner material. I always figured if I got a rack like the Frontrunner style I'd have the inside areas lined to protect the can and keep it from rattling.

yonah

money would be better spent on psychological counseling.

You've got jokes, I like it. There is a thread on this forum regarding titanium sporks, you would fit in there.

or just get some plastic MFCs and quit worrying about chipped paint.
or just chemically strip the cans, using self-etching primer and a good coat of epoxy paint.
I'm not a fan of Scepter MFCs.
-
They're already painted and the paint's not holding up - that's the problem. What you're proposing is an utter waste of time and money as I would be chemically removing paint to then repaint the cans. My goal is to find a once and done solution. I'm not worried about the chipped paint as much as the rust and future work involved with removing the corrosion/rust.

yonah

Would the plastic coating create static issues? I've always thought one of the great things about a metal can is that it won't pick up as much static charge sliding or rattling in a carrier versus equivalent plastic one.

Valid point. That's something I'll dig into.

I've seen a couple of cans that had the bottom half done in some sort of bed liner material. I always figured if I got a rack like the Frontrunner style I'd have the inside areas lined to protect the can and keep it from rattling.

I like the idea of only coating the bottom portion of the can. And I agree regarding some type of isolation material in a mount is a good solution and something to consider.

yonah

I got the cans back yesterday from the shop and they turned out great. We chose Linex for this application as it is resistant to gas and other petroleum products. They're tough as nails now.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I think you've found the best of both worlds. Steel's structural strength and chemical resistance with plastic durability and rust proofing. (serious)

I would not be surprised if a company started selling these just as they are. They'll be the next overlanding bling. You just aren't an overlander without lined jerry cans. (JK)

yonah

Thanks - it's overkill, but I'm very pleased with the results. These jerry cans should bring decades of use.
-
In regards to static electricity. The metal nozzle and locking pin are uncoated in the event that static did build-up in the can, as it would be discharged when the nozzle was touched before opening the can for fueling. I also remove my cans from the carrier and place them on the ground before fueling - to me it seems much safer than filling them while they're mounted in the carrier. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I remember seeing the news footage years ago of a gas can exploding while being fueled in the bed of a truck (due to static discharge as a result of friction created from the plastic can sliding around on the plastic slide-in bed liner) and it really stuck with me.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You've got jokes, I like it. There is a thread on this forum regarding titanium sporks, you would fit in there.

I'm not a fan of Scepter MFCs.
-
They're already painted and the paint's not holding up - that's the problem. What you're proposing is an utter waste of time and money as I would be chemically removing paint to then repaint the cans. My goal is to find a once and done solution. I'm not worried about the chipped paint as much as the rust and future work involved with removing the corrosion/rust.

lol, you're so fixated on your fixation, you've missed my point that there's zero reason to paint a Scepter MFC, Won't rust, won't chip, they come in several colors. I am trying to point out to you that the very premise of 'having' to touch-up a paint can after every outing is farcical. Beyond reasonable or rational.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
lol, you're so fixated on your fixation, you've missed my point that there's zero reason to paint a Scepter MFC, Won't rust, won't chip, they come in several colors. I am trying to point out to you that the very premise of 'having' to touch-up a paint can after every outing is farcical. Beyond reasonable or rational.

Unless you're like this guy.

Before
971032_695259417154341_1391238077_n.jpg

After
11811545_10207346522162134_6635985187482124101_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger