Cobra 29LX and Wilson Little Wil- SWR Help (Extremely High)

4x4junkie

Explorer
With the squelch turned up you should hear nothing (until someone keys their radio and "breaks" through the squelch). If your squelch is set TOO high however, this can prevent you from hearing others (they would have to be almost next to you to break the squelch).

anickode

Adventurer
Yup... squelch is a filter. The higher you turn it, the more it filters out. To set your squelch, start with it all the way down and start turning it up till the static disappears. If atmospheric conditions are such that you have to turn the squelch way way up to get rid of noise, you might find that it's so high, it's Also filtering out everything except for transmissions less than a few hundred feet away. Then it's time to start fiddling with RF gain/squelch combinations.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Glad you're having good luck with the radio. Watch parking near truck stops, though. The girls that patrol the area might think you want something. :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
LED lights will tear them up too. Just an FYI. I have had a ton of new customers since the LED rage hit.

Interesting, how many LEDs did the people have installed before they noticed an SWR issue? Any link between HIDs?

For those who have offered some help, thank you, and I'm glad another member seems to have figured out their issue through this thread. I have now removed the spring, and the quick disconnect while on a highway trip down I-5, as well as tweaking the mount to angle it out some- much greater portion exposed forward. With this setup I still have not had any luck with getting the SWR down, and the antenna also likes to move quite a bit at those speeds. I'm not sure what's considered normal, but it seemed to have a good 12" swing with the spring installed (separate time from the SWR testing), and 6" without. This is extremely infuriating, and I'm definitely questioning if it was a waste.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Interesting, how many LEDs did the people have installed before they noticed an SWR issue? Any link between HIDs?

For those who have offered some help, thank you, and I'm glad another member seems to have figured out their issue through this thread. I have now removed the spring, and the quick disconnect while on a highway trip down I-5, as well as tweaking the mount to angle it out some- much greater portion exposed forward. With this setup I still have not had any luck with getting the SWR down, and the antenna also likes to move quite a bit at those speeds. I'm not sure what's considered normal, but it seemed to have a good 12" swing with the spring installed (separate time from the SWR testing), and 6" without. This is extremely infuriating, and I'm definitely questioning if it was a waste.

I think the comment about LEDs was about them affecting the receive (many LED lights are indeed very noisy, as are HIDs, too).

As for the antenna, I think there has to be something simple that is being overlooked somewhere... I can't imagine you having two bunk SWR meters (radio + your ext. one) and/or two bunk antennas, though I s'pose anything's possible.
I assume you have checked your antenna coax cable for end-to-end continuity (shield to ground, or to your mount), continuity between the center pin to the antenna itself, and no continuity from center pin to shield... Also continuity of the antenna mount bracket to ground (body)...
Looking at your earlier pic, the antenna mounting stud & insulating washer appears to be assembled correctly (I've seen it a few times where the insulating washer was put on wrong). So I'm kindof running out of ideas.

I dunno how far you want to drive, but I'm maybe about 40-50 miles to your north-west (SFV area)... I'd be happy to throw one of my meters on it for you if you want.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I think the comment about LEDs was about them affecting the receive (many LED lights are indeed very noisy, as are HIDs, too).

As for the antenna, I think there has to be something simple that is being overlooked somewhere... I can't imagine you having two bunk SWR meters (radio + your ext. one) and/or two bunk antennas, though I s'pose anything's possible.
I assume you have checked your antenna coax cable for end-to-end continuity (shield to ground, or to your mount), continuity between the center pin to the antenna itself, and no continuity from center pin to shield... Also continuity of the antenna mount bracket to ground (body)...
Looking at your earlier pic, the antenna mounting stud & insulating washer appears to be assembled correctly (I've seen it a few times where the insulating washer was put on wrong). So I'm kindof running out of ideas.

I dunno how far you want to drive, but I'm maybe about 40-50 miles to your north-west (SFV area)... I'd be happy to throw one of my meters on it for you if you want.

Do you think it would be necessary to run a separate wire from the mount to a point on the body to make sure of a ground? I'll double check the continuity (it's supposed to have continuity right?) between the mount and the body, I'm starting to think the supplied screws aren't up to the task. I did sand off some sheetmetal, but it's entirely possible it may need something that makes sure it conducts. Thank you for all your help.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Sorry, I thought this was fixed many posts ago, and that everyone was just joking around. Had to go back and realize that you were the original poster.

Honestly, at this point I would ask for some local help. Find a ham that has an antenna analyser and some experience, and let he/she give you a hand. It should be quick. I would take 4x4 up on his offer.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Do you think it would be necessary to run a separate wire from the mount to a point on the body to make sure of a ground? I'll double check the continuity (it's supposed to have continuity right?) between the mount and the body, I'm starting to think the supplied screws aren't up to the task. I did sand off some sheetmetal, but it's entirely possible it may need something that makes sure it conducts. Thank you for all your help.

If the mount is screwed directly into the metal and is solid, I'm not sure that a ground wire to it would improve things much. A continuity check should reveal if there's an issue though (wiggle the mount while checking, just in case there's an intermittent).

Have you tried just for the hell of it, spinning around the dial to see if you can pick up any local conversations in the area, see if anyone can hear you? I know Ch 12 & 17 are used by locals around the LA area (possibly 14 too), and there's often drivers on 19 as well if you're near a major interstate (best time to try a local contact is after sundown when ionospheric "skip" conditions that bring signals in from back east are not present). Unless your SWR is off the chart (above 3:1), the few brief transmissions to attempt a contact shouldn't be enough to hurt the radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle