Cobra CB 75 WX ST CB

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I have one in my Tacoma (2nd Gen) so it is a similar vehicle. I mounted the control box under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I cut a hole and mounted the female end of the mike adapter just to the right side of the change bin and keep the mike in the center console. I have a lil will mag mount antenna on the roof that I may change out for a firestick on the hood. When in use the mike fits pretty good on the left side vent (just hang it off the round part on the rear of the mike), and it only came off once. When I bent my front Budbuilt skid it stayed in place! Easy to install, works fine (no complaints from anyone that they can't hear me, within reason), and out of sight. I would buy again! I have an aux speaker but never installed it since it was loud enough without... I can get some photos if you want.

Down sides: The output for the mike from the control box is short and mine came with the rubber cover on the cable cracked (I just shrink wrapped it). The "female" side of the mike connector is really a male connector, so it makes no sense when plugging it in.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have thought about getting one of these...good to hear a good review again. Small, works well from all reports, not too expensive, sounds like it will work for me in my XJ.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I have one in my Tacoma (2nd Gen) so it is a similar vehicle. I mounted the control box under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I cut a hole and mounted the female end of the mike adapter just to the right side of the change bin and keep the mike in the center console. I have a lil will mag mount antenna on the roof that I may change out for a firestick on the hood. When in use the mike fits pretty good on the left side vent (just hang it off the round part on the rear of the mike), and it only came off once. When I bent my front Budbuilt skid it stayed in place! Easy to install, works fine (no complaints from anyone that they can't hear me, within reason), and out of sight. I would buy again! I have an aux speaker but never installed it since it was loud enough without... I can get some photos if you want.

Ya could you post a picture of the mounting location.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
My 2001 Tacoma is similar inside. I use the same model CB and have a similar good experience. The box is mounted in the console and the mike cable runs along the passenger side shift console, exiting next to the forward retention screw; the cable is secured to the screw with a nylon cable strap. Transceiver is mounted to a black plastic mike clip attached to the fascia as you see in the picture.

CIMG0925.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you haven't already bought the Cobra and don't want to do a permanent install, you could also look at something like the Midland 75-822. That is a "hybrid" HT/mobile CB. Basically it is the top portion of a handheld CB and then the bottom portion is either the battery box (in which case you have to use the "rubber duck" antenna) or you can replace the bottom portion with an adapter that has both a 12v power plug and a female PL-259 socket for an external antenna. Like the Cobra, the Midland includes 7 (or is it 10?) WX channels as well as the 40 CB channels.

41QrD9t8AyL._SS400_.jpg

I've been using the Midland for years and it works fine for trail use. No permanent install means it comes out after the trail run (and I use a mag-mount antenna on the center of the roof.) The handset has a clip on the back, and I just run a long loop of 550 cord and hang it from the mirror when I'm on the road. When on the trail the mike normally sits in my lap.

Here's a photo of my cockpit, you can see the Midland hanging from the mirror on the left side of the picture:

cockpitview.jpg

There are probably better CBs out there but for the price (under $100) and the ease of install, this one is fine for me. On trails it seems to work as well as any other inexpensive CB using a mag-mount antenna.

I've never used it as an HT (it actually comes with two battery boxes - one for rechargeable AA batteries and one for alkalines. The charger is also included.) My guess is that with the "rubber duck" at 27Mhz, it would fall into the 'better than nothing' category. ;)

Now that I have my 2m mobile installed and a dual band HT available to use, the CB will most likely be 'backup' but since (so far) all the people I off-road with use CB exclusively, it will remain in my vehicle on runs for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply Martin. That's interesting about the Midland. Where do you run the plug/cord then for the mag mount?

With either of the radio's I do plan on get another mag mount (Wilson Lil will antenna).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the reply Martin. That's interesting about the Midland. Where do you run the plug/cord then for the mag mount?

With either of the radio's I do plan on get another mag mount (Wilson Lil will antenna).

I just run it down the transmission tunnel and then behind the driver's seat, then up to the back door and onto the roof. The door seems to have a thick enough weather stripping not to crush the coax cable and then I can position the antenna dead center on the roof. When I'm on the road I will zip tie the antenna cable to the seat brackets and seat-belt holder to hold it in place, then when the trip is over I'll just cut the zip ties.

However, now that I have the 2m, I will most likely mount the 2m antenna dead center and then put the CB on the rear section of the roof. I haven't checked the minimum separation requirements but I think 2 - 3' of separation between antennas should be fine.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've enjoyed my 75WXST's, I have one in my Tacoma and FJ40 and ran one in my older Tacoma too. I mount the control box behind the dash and have the mic cord coming out right below the old ashtray (2M is there now).

4x4mike

Adventurer
I've got a 75 in my 3rd gen 4runner. I don't use a CB much so I opted for this model as it's small and can be stashed away when not used. I mounted the control box in the console behind the ash tray. All I have to do is reach behind from the passenger side to expose the little pig tail the mic plugs into. From there I clip the mic on a bracket I made, I didn't want to mount the mic on the dash.

Pic of the mount I made.

0926001315a.jpg

In use.

0926001318.jpg

0926001319.jpg

Like mentioned above it's a good little radio. Compared to the cobra 18 wx st ii it replaced the audio is not as good. I'd say the Cobra 18 was a 10 in audio where the TX and RX audio on the 75 is about a 6.5. It's obvious why though, it's a small unit with small speaker and mic. Under heavy use the mic does get warm but I've never had trouble with the heat.

I used to run a Wilson lil wil and I liked it a lot. It's a great antenna and paired nicely with the 75 and the 18. Since I've gone to an NMO mount for my antenna because I wanted to clean up my roof. It requires you to drill a hole in the roof but no more coax and I've got a beefy little antenna I can take off when I'm not using the cb (which is most of the time).

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Good little, tuck away, CB radio. I have had this one in my XJ for several years now. I have the junction box under my passenger seat along with the unit itself. I Pull the unit out from the back of the passenger seat and place it in my lap when trail riding. I have a four foot mag mount antenna that I keep under my back seat. What I really like about my set up is that if you were to jump in my JEEP you would not know that there was a CB installed at all. But, it is always available if needed on the trail or on the Hwy for traffic purposes.

colodak

Adventurer
I've had this unit in my Dakota for several years now as well. It's a marginal CB at best, the control box is mounted inside the glove box and the mic snakes out and hangs off the dash. I run a 4' firestik antenna that is past due to be retuned. Which is key, to work best you need to have your SWR's checked regularly on these radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears