Cobra MR-HH125 FRS?

Storz

Explorer
I am looking at picking up an FRS radio for using on the trails and roadtrips and there are certainly plenty to choose from. This one by Cobra caught my eye though as it has the capability to use the marine channels as well, which will come in handy since my parents live at the coast (NC) and have a boat.

The description is vague though and I don't know if this radio can communicate on the regular FRS channels as well...

any experience?

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/cobra/cobra-mr-hh125.aspx

mr-hh125_l.jpg

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

Any recommendations for a good FRS radio?

I really love the Garmin Rino FRS/GMRS GPS radios. They might be a bit more than you're looking for, but at least you can use it for more than just FRS. I also have a motorola T6320 talkabout that I absolutely love. It's a great unit. Either of those are near the top of the food chain when it comes to FRS.

However, if you plan on communicating with people in vehicles FRS is a terrible choice. You really need an antenna outside the metal box and that means CB or HAM radio. If you're stuck on FRS though you can't go wrong with the two above choices.

Storz

Explorer
Most of the guys that I travel with use FRS so its really a better choice for me, I'll have to do some research and see whats out there :)

Last edited:

granitex1

Adventurer
If you are thinking about a portable GPS, in the future, you an also look at the Garmin units with the built in GPS. kind of kills two birds with one stone. For in the truck I just about always use the CB, but for around camp the FRS is what I usually grab.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I also have a motorola T6320 talkabout that I absolutely love. It's a great unit. Either of those are near the top of the food chain when it comes to FRS.

However, if you plan on communicating with people in vehicles FRS is a terrible choice. You really need an antenna outside the metal box and that means CB or HAM radio. If you're stuck on FRS though you can't go wrong with the two above choices.

I use only Motorola's, because they all use the same interchangable battery. Over the years, I have gone through about a dozen different units (some get lost, some get smashed, drowned, or whatever. It's nice to be able to charge up extra batteries for longer trips.

I have found that picking the right model is a bit of hit or miss. By a significant factor, the best FRS I have ever owned or used is the Motorola SXR700. Large form factor, easy to use, terrific sound quality, great range, amazing battery length. Far superior to all other units I have used. Hard to find! You can buy them online here. Pretty durable also. I dropped one in a deep puddle in Moab once, then it got run over a few times while in the puddle. I was walking around looking for it, talking into a spare, and could hear it underwater! I finally found it, and still use it to this day:
100352211_kAQwF-L-1.jpg

I have some newer ones that are very disappointing. At all costs, avoid the T9500XLR model. It's total crap. Well made, but sounds terrible.

The smaller units have crap PTT buttons that break or wear out, although my T6500's are holding up pretty good. These are ones I loan out on the trail. No range issues and aren't very expensive should they fail to be returned.

As for using it for primary trail comm's, FRS are fine. In bigger groups that are more spread out, you need to have someone in the midpoint act as a radio relay, but you just can't beat the convenience of FRS. My club is pretty much standardizing on FRS for trail coms, as CB installs are so hit or miss and just don't seem all that reliable. There are a growing number of HAM users, but for every 15 trucks, we might have one or two ham's, so FRS is still mandatory.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
SX700R (I think SXR700 is a typo?) is a fine radio but it is not FRS. It's GMRS, that's why it sounds so much better. You are using a LOT more power. I HATE to be that "guy" but I feel I should at least mention that GMRS requires a license to use. Just FYI. Might as well go HAM if you're at all considering following the rules. My personal opinion is that GMRS will be delicensed soon becuase of all the FRS/GMRS hybrid radios people use, it's pretty much lost anyway.

As far as the GPS/Garmin units are concerned, that's why I mentioned the RINO (that's what they're called). Excellent units. We own two and absolutely love them. Not only do they have GPS but the people you are communicating with (if they have rinos) will show up on your map! How cool is that! Oh and they're GMRS, so if you have the license (or for some reason just don't care) then you get more power as well.

Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
SX700R (I think SXR700 is a typo?) is a fine radio but it is not FRS.

From what I've read it says that the SX700R does both FRS and GMRS. I just ordered a pair of the SX900R for 49 bucks shipped from Amazon.

Last edited:

mr r2fj

Adventurer
From what I've read it says that the SX700R does both FRS and GMRS. I just ordered a pair for 49 bucks shipped from Amazon.

That's correct it is a hybrid radio (1-7 FRS/GMRS shared, 8-14 FRS only, 15-22 GMRS only). Anything above .5 watt or GMRS requires a license on this radio. When speaking 2w is as easy as "pushing the top portion of the PTT button" I think that most people wont' be using .5 watt often. ;-) I don't care what you do, but I think this should be understood.

Here's some great info on hybrid radios and GMRS if people are at all interested
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior