Coddiwomple_couple 7.3 Diesel Mountain River Shuttle Build

Skinhyfish

Observer
Hi You all,

Lady and I just purchased a new rig and look forward to another project. Our goal is a weekend/full-time rig for exploring rivers and giving us a quality home base on wheels. We purchased a 2001 F250 7.3 4x4 Manual ZF6!!!! with 103,000 miles. Truck was bone stock and one owner. It was a rare find and going to be a great platform for what we want. Goal is to build up the truck for a road worthy/offroad truck, that can carry our FWC Fleet with a rafting trailer in tow. We stuck with the fleet, because the smaller camper has less width and more room for tool boxes along side for a custom flatbed build. Debating on which way to go with flatbed, but looking for something with more clearance than most. Toolboxes in the void along camper for camping gear and front storage with spare tire. It is going to be a process. Already putting parts together, but always love to hear some ideas. Look forward to a great get away rig. We were so sad when we sold our last 7.3

Cheers
Zach and Beth

List of mods so far

Under the hood
-MRBP 4in exhast
-SB air intake
-JP-Tuner w/infinity screen ( owner Jody is great)
-Riffraf fuel crossover
-ATS turbo housing
-air heater delete

Upcoming
-Lift Old Man Emu
-35x12.5 Tires/wheels
-southbend cluth
-Flat bed with tool boxes

UPDATE!!

8uFKlGA.jpg

i7DLU6J.jpg

uM1rOHY.jpg

HJDvDqZ.jpg

VF8tOtI.jpg

zHNDX7W.jpg

NGy9H5s.jpg

YaLdNPM.jpg

Ga3BZdP.jpg

Last edited:

Skinhyfish

Observer
Old setup. Needed more power. Littel tundra was dependable, but not powerful enough for hills with camper
ddmfKXZ.jpg

similar build idea and inspiration

9LzXv6a.jpg

F350joe

Here are a few of my flatbed 7.3. My advice would be to make sure you have a rail/stake pockets to strap to, lock things up, and step on. It’s also nice to have a place for things that need to be outside like trash, fuel cans, firewood, propane and the like. You can see my sides pull out behind the behind box and make nice table tops or jack bases. One box holds the air compressor, extra battery, fuel additive and whatnots the other is water closet that has a water pump, ecotemp, couple large wash bowls etc. Boxes in front of the wheels underneath would be nice.

Nice score on the truck, manual with those upgrades must be a blast to drive. Nothing like passing people while going uphill and sitting at around 10,000lbs. D15BD02A-1A75-406C-88AF-FF94C8903BE2.jpeg00F01AEC-D6E5-4CDB-AF24-7F9E23B831BC.jpeg7984EC41-B2DB-4BB3-9229-B36EF2D74D38.jpeg7C72128A-C5E3-47E7-B0EC-154E500E30F9.jpegB074BC5D-6AED-48B8-9BF7-63EBA2911D69.jpeg

Skinhyfish

Observer
Will do a full replacement bumper down the road, but had a winch sitting around and hitch adapter from last build. $80 for a front hitch will do for a bit. Also got to wire up the rigid E2 hyperspot combo bar. Impressive light.

v3ci8d3.jpg

Do98kqW.jpg

42BrGj5.jpg

jdKQ59d.jpg

Cyph86

Will do a full replacement bumper down the road, but had a winch sitting around and hitch adapter from last build. $80 for a front hitch will do for a bit. Also got to wire up the rigid E2 hyperspot combo bar. Impressive light.

v3ci8d3.jpg

Do98kqW.jpg

42BrGj5.jpg

jdKQ59d.jpg
This is genius and I'm taking this idea. Also consider looking into move bumpers. They send you all the pre cut steel and you weld it yourself. Way cheaper than prefabbed alternatives

Skinhyfish

Observer
Kahl Kreations made some ditch lights for my year truck. I liken having the wide pattern when driving mountain passes or out in country. These D2 have saved me from lots of wildlife in past. Install not to bad.. helps with a partner

Last edited:

F350joe

That's a pretty sweet build. Is that camper and tray setup a custom job?

The camper is a 1960ish Kampers Kabin and the flatbed was put on by the previous owner to custom fit his shortbed camper. Problem with the flat bed is that it’s just to easy bolt on whatever you want, o having to get creative where to mount things. I actually just retired the camper, it’s now a camping gear shed, it was getting trashed hauling toys around off-road. I went with a Gazelle pop up tent, easier to get on the truck.

OP, looking forward to updates on this. BTW, where did you find that picture? I'm interested in learning more about that front bumper.

F350joe

New parts for mountain driving performance going in on Tuesday.

Riffraf HPX
Turbo master waste gate controller
New wheel to help with spool up and no more turbo surge

EgjXvQT.jpg

Which wheel did you get and what is the new wastegate set at? Two mods I have been meaning to get to although I don’t think my turbo has complained about elevation since I switched to Hydra tunes.

Skinhyfish

Observer
Which wheel did you get and what is the new wastegate set at? Two mods I have been meaning to get to although I don’t think my turbo has complained about elevation since I switched to Hydra tunes.

With 4in exhaust and SB intake, turbo surge will happen with most tunes. Stock turbo just doesn't spool up as quick enough. Down the road, I would like to upgrade to a gt38R, but want to put money towards suspension and wheels soon. I looked and read around a lot. I was debating about ATS housing, but after most recommendations and money considerations, I went with RIFRAFF wheel. He says it will take care of the surge and little more response. I had a wicked wheel 2 in my last truck, and had zero complaints. It spooled up fast and helped with my stage one injectors. I think people shy away from the wheel upgrade, because most people don't install correctly and have failure. Im going to take off turbo and have balanced. Turbo Master waste Gate I liked on my last one. Helps keep boost on turbo, where stock will bleed off early, and I like the manual function. I will have mine to open at 24PSI. It will help protect from over boost and hurting something. Waste gate and wheel, was price of just a housing.

What mods have you done and been happy with?

Zach
PS sorry wrote this on my phone driving, pardon the grammar or spelling lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78