coil question?

BrandX

Adventurer
is any one useing stock shocks with the OME 885 or 886s? or do i have to use there shock? i have a kennesaw front bumper with warn winch installed so i do have some weight in the front. oh and this is actually a 2wd 2007 tacoma

Aggie

Adventurer
I run stock shocks with 886 Coils on an 07 FJ Cruiser with Winch and Plate Bumper and I can tell you now, pony up the dough and get better shocks. You will be thanking me after 20,000 miles. :punk03:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
There's no reason you have to go to the OME shocks with their coils, but I agree with Aggie. For performance and durability over the long run, you'll be glad you upgraded to the OME shocks at the same time.

Dipodomys

Observer
I recently installed an OME suspension setup on my 2008 Tacoma with the 886 springs. I can tell you that the OME shocks/struts are substantially beefier than the stock units. According to the OME advertising propaganda, the shocks and springs are designed and "tuned" to work together. I'm not sure if that claim can really be verified, but it does make sense that you wouldn't want to match an underrated shock with a beefsteak spring like the 886. Considering what a pain it is to take these things off and disassemble them and then reinstall them (especially with the brutishly stout 886 springs), I would definitely try and do it right the first time. You don't want to do this twice and the OME units are clearly an order of magnitude better than the stock units. Worth the expense in my opinion. I think you'll be bummed if you don't.

RoundOut

Explorer
BrandX said:
ok so here is a new question what about swaping in tundera coils and shocks?
Let me know if you want to do that. I just pulled my OE 2003 Tundra coilovers off (actually, they are the OE spring and the Bilstein HD shock from Wheelers) and replaced them with Camburg's. They have about 100K miles, but still worked very well. They also have a Revtek +/-2.5" spacer installed.

BrandX

Adventurer
so then i guess that will work. do they bolt up or is theresome modifying? :Mechanic: could you take some pics of them. that might answer my questions.but yeah that may be the route for me. how much for the coils?:jumping:

RoundOut

Explorer
BrandX said:
so then i guess that will work. do they bolt up or is theresome modifying? :Mechanic: could you take some pics of them. that might answer my questions.but yeah that may be the route for me. how much for the coils?:jumping:
I have heard that they do. Just to be sure, I PMd a buddy of mine that knows for sure, DevinSixtySeven. Hopefully he will chime in here. I'll get a picture of them up for you this afternoon (off the truck), but you can see them on the truck at the link below.

So you know, the RevTek spacer lift kit comes with two rings. One goes between the coil and top plate and pre-loads the coil. The other goes above the top plate and beneath the top mounting location. The former is about an inch thick, and the latter is about 3/8" thick. With the geometry of the suspension, they combine to lift the front of a Tundra 2 1/2". The shop that I had install mine the first time, left the top spacer out and I had to go back and make them install it, too. (I have no idea why they did that.)

I will get these cleaned up and fire over a picture this afternoon.

Here is what they looked like going on. Note the two spacers in the photo at the top of the shock mount. The black one is a Daystar urethane spacer (not for sale - it's on my truck above my Camburg's) and the aluminum one is the RevTek preload spacer. This was before they put the 3/8 inch spacer in.

I hope this helps.

Jacket

BrandX said:

From what I've read, they won't bolt up because the top plates are different. I think that anyone who has attempted to use Tundra coils for a Tacoma installed the spring (and shock) into the Tacoma top plate. I don't know if anyone has attempted this on a 2nd gen Tacoma, but it's been done on the 1st gen Tacomas. You can read about the details on TTORA if you're interested.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
The coil seat location on the OME struts is different to the stock struts, so it's not recommended to use the original struts. The lift height could be different than what you'd expect, not to mention that the stock struts, unless you have a TRD, were made in bulk by the lowest bidder.

Braz475

Observer
I bought Tundra Coils set up for a tacoma from OldSven on here, if you PM him I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help ya out!:26_7_2:

Jacket

BrandX said:
so i have to put the tundra spring on my stock tacomaspring plates with the stock shock

Unless you go with a full replacement coilover designed for the 05+ Tacoma (i.e., Icon, Camburg, SAW), you will need to reuse the OEM top plate for with the spring you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12