Coleman camper

stomperxj

Explorer
That spare tire location isn't very off road friendly. I would think that would get hung up in the mall parking lot... :Wow1:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah... it seems a bit much. If the tent was really high quality, maybe. But it kinda looks like it's a regular crappy, thin, leaky nylon tent mounted on a $800 trailer frame from Home Depot. But it has nice wheels. ;)

If it was a decent canvas tent, RTT quality, on a decent trailer frame, I'd pay even more than that for it. But $4000 for that... meh.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Sure, it's not what most expedition people are looking for but with UVW 500lbs, GVW 1300lbs weights, most any compact sedan could tow it. A good quality canvas tent would only raise the weight by under 100 lbs and last much longer but I'm sure economy is what they are shooting for all the way around.

Found on the Coleman site the actual Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 850 lbs with a GVW of 1350 lbs.

Last edited:

CFisher

I spoke to the local RV dealer in Denver who states that they sent their "sample" Switchback back to Coleman as the tent quality was not up to there standards and they felt it would be a warranty problem.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Hang on, the UVW is 850lbs, not 500. Deck can only take 150lbs, roof rack 150lbs. So, it won't take much weight. Maybe pick up a few small trees at the nursery, bicycles or small appliances. But, no motorcycles, etc.

Meh, indeed.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
looks like a pretty nice tent to me. look at the target audience: a medium sized family (husband, wife, 2-3 kids) with a medium sized SUV wants to go to their local camp sites, or travel cross country with it. it would be a perfect family trailer for some dirt roads leading to a camp site. its certainly no AT trailer, but then again, it doesnt need to be.

ive always loved coleman's tent trailers. just wish they made a model that was a little more offroad friendly.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I agree the concept is nice, but I just think it is a little underbuilt. If they had made the tent out of Sunbrella tenting or whatever they use on their other models, then it would be better. Also, the ability to take a little more weight on that front deck.

I understand the concept, I just think it's a little poor in execution. You buy that trailer, and in a few years, that tent is shot, and then what?

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
You buy that trailer, and in a few years, that tent is shot, and then what?

Buy the 2012 model :coffeedrink: or upgrade to a bigger one. Or is the disposable economy over?

If I were looking for that type of trailer I think the Jumping Jack would be a better option.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
What frustrates me, is the thing won't sell, and the execs say "See, Americans aren't interested in lightweight trailers" and scrap the whole idea. That was always the Big 3's problem with small cars. They do a half-assed effort, turn out a piece of crap, nobody buys it, so they claim American's don't want small cars.

I think this is exactly what happened with the "off-road" pop-ups. I really liked the Starcraft RT-12, thought it was perfect. Big enough to put a dirtbike or too on the tongue, but small enough to be towed by a mid-sized SUV (Disco, Explorer, etc.).

Of course, since the class was new and different, not many dealers stocked them. Since they weren't stocked, nobody saw them. Nobody saw them, nobody bought them. So they discontinued them. Now all we're left with are MASSIVE "toy haulers" that need an F-350 to tow.

GreenToys

Observer
Just scored this the other day...so happy with it.:) It's like a grandpa of that Coleman unit.This thing is 44 years old and still all original canvas...and still as good(functional wise) as when it was new.
Like my old folks would say "they don't make stuff as good as they use to" - hmm maybe they're right.
And sorry for drifting the topic a bit :D

Attachments

• 7dbc_3.JPG
    7dbc_3.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 102
  • !BRj,Tsw!Wk~_3.JPG
    !BRj,Tsw!Wk~_3.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 95

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member