Coleman Colorado rebuild

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Tacked the shackle hanger on, installed the leaves and axle. Shackles are positioned with just a tad of angle.. see where it ends up with the additional weight yet to be added. I'll reposition if necessary. 30* seems to be about right from a search here?

Also got a few cross members cut and tacked in. The cross members were originally door jamb covers in a NJ prison, nice and wide to add add'l support to the floor.

Next is adding 2x2 to box in both sides in front and behind the axle, give the outer floor area more support. The original floor was bowed down so it's obvious it's necessary.

Coloradonewsuspaxle1_zps67tpjqxu.jpg

coloradocrossmembers_zpsrgx4crjj.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
OK, frame mods are about done I think.. just need to figure what I'm gonna do about the tongue.

Here's how I added support to the floor outside of the main rails, I feel it was definitely needed as the stock floor was bowed down on both sides. Along with the added cross members I feel this is a much stronger frame to support the camper and my chubby self..

Yes, this project is a first for me and my son as far as some fabrication and welding is concerned.. he's developing skills I wish I had learned in my younger days. This project is a warm up for a CJ-8 build from a TDK frame up.

frameouter1_zpsrem9adpz.jpg

framecomp1_zpsnktk0ewf.jpg

framecomp2_zpsd0xxng2l.jpg

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
stronger is better, imho

Those who have replaced and extended their tongue, what length did you go with?

Assuming most used 2x2 for an articulating hitch, and a 12' stick should be plenty?
I replaced a thin wall 2x2 tongue (bent, rusting, torn away from crossmember) with a 3x3x.187 tube, 6ft long, welded to three crossmembers for strength. Not fond of half-measures in anything, I welded a center spine (full length of trailer) above it. To build it again, I should've run it all the way (a 12ft length), and had a receiver welded on there. If you plan on off-roading it, with a single beam tongue (as I plan to do -limited-), you'll need max strength (thru heavier gauge steel, with max attachment points) for safety. I just overbuild (excuse the spindly axle; replaced with stronger Dexter 3500 lb axle, later on).
  • 6ft 3x3 welded to 3 x-members, full length spine.jpg
  • frame finished.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I do plan to go with a single beam tongue.. for now anyway. I was wondering if 3/16" was heavy enough, you have me thinking 1/4" now. Add a receiver extension at both ends and the ball coupler as above.

Workingonit, nice job with yours, is it further along now?

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
I do plan to go with a single beam tongue.. for now anyway. I was wondering if 3/16" was heavy enough, you have me thinking 1/4" now. Add a receiver extension at both ends and the ball coupler as above.

Workingonit, nice job with yours, is it further along now?
It's been completed (except for frequent modifications) since June of 2013. I lurked here and at TnTTT forum for a long time before starting my build in Oct '11. I joined this forum in 2014, finally, stating this thread here http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/130284-my-first-build-4x8-heavy-weight-with-generator-A-C-inside-now-to-begin-using-it!. I am still working on it/modifying it, even though I haven't moved it from the garage in almost two years (work got so draining on me that it wrecked my health, then I retired, and now am starting to want to get outside again!). This week, I bought two Grabber AT2 tires, am going to install them, and will resume working on it (that's a catchy phrase).
  • trailer in 2015.jpg my trailer as it was in 2015 (latest photos I have)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Nice project workinonit.. i'll have to read through your thread.

Thanks Dan..

So, I decided to overbuild on the tongue. Ordered a stick (have to order 24' @$75) of 2x2x1/4" and will order 2x weld on receivers. https://www.grainger.com/product/20...4277!&ef_id=VzeE@AAABOdx9hcb:20170303172337:s

Will 6" length be enough to slip over and weld up? I'll weld the tongue to 4 original crossmembers but also add add'l plate around it like the original. I also have some plate coming to add gussets to the frame I added to sides.. the stabilizers will be moved outboard, front and rear.

Then hopefully i'll get started on the woodwork.. yeah, not gonna make my original schedule.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Those of you out there who extended your tongues on a smaller and lighter trailer such as these.. what material did you use?

I'm having 2nd thoughts on 1/4" material, is it necessary or can I go lighter. I figure the trailer weight at 1200lbs with added weight and gear when done.. twice as it was as a stock single slide pop up.

Local place wont sell lengths shorter than 24', another local place will cut to order but wants $5 per foot.

Is this possible? I have 12' of 2x2 x 1/8".. with trussing back to the front cross member's will it be enough? 3/16" stick with the 1/8" to the sides?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Screw you PhotoBucket..

Sorry about the lack of updates, to be honest I had some health issues and nothing was done most of the summer. I ended up erecting a shelter in back yard and brought the project home.

Frame is finished and coated with POR15, if you remember I have two of these trailers to use for parts so I used all 4 support legs. I ended up getting a 24' stick of 3/16" 2x2 tubing and cut it in half. Added a receiver to the rear. I wont need to uncouple trailer to slide out the bed.

Picked up 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood, two being tongue and groove for the floor. Gorilla wood glue and small brad nails to hold it together. This am I coated it with 4 coats (one gallon) of Herculiner to the bottom.

Tomorrow I start cutting the sides and assemble the box portion of camper. I'll be coating it with a waterproof product like Thompson's water seal or similar and reuse the original aluminum panels which will be painted to match the Jeep.

I'm having trouble attaching pics, i'll resize and try again with next update.

unplannedbbq

Adventurer
Just found your thread - hope you're feeling better.
The abctrailerparts link from January is no longer good. Curious - What suspension did you get w/ the new 65" axle?
I'm restoring & lifting a '95 coleman cedar & want to add shocks to help w/ bounce.
Can't see if you've put shock mounts on your build because of photo bucket issues. Trying to decide which shocks and mounts/location for my trailer; I'll be 950lbs dry, up to ~1200lbs fully loaded.
Keep up the good work!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I ended up with 1750lb rated springs, shackles and shackle hangers along with the Dexter 3500lb axle from a local dealer. http://www.hennesseytrailers.com/trailer-parts

Springs are 4 leaf iirc. I'll be using a set of Jeep Ravine wheels with 5.5" backspacing to match the Jeep, hoping to fit a 235 tire and sit level behind tow rig.

I do plan shocks at some point as well.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
About time to get working on the project again, i need to disassemble the second parts trailer and save the hardware and bow section i'm in need of.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that this parts trailer had a replacement canvas, dirty but appears to be in good shape. Soap and my power washer should make this canvas more than acceptable and save me quite a bit of money. I'll need a new travel cover however.

I have the bows off, but having trouble figuring how to remove the canvas on the slide portion of trailer. I see the sides want to slide forward out of the pinch groove (similar to a Jeep bikini top channel) but i cant figure how to remove the front edge.. where the grab handle is to pull slide out. Tried a search but nothing useful.. anyone who has done this care to chime in? Appreciated..

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I have the bows off, but having trouble figuring how to remove the canvas on the slide portion of trailer. I see the sides want to slide forward out of the pinch groove (similar to a Jeep bikini top channel) but i cant figure how to remove the front edge.. where the grab handle is to pull slide out. Tried a search but nothing useful.. anyone who has done this care to chime in? Appreciated..

Found the front edge was screwed to aluminum slide and folded over, it's not a slip fit like the rest of canvas.

I'll have to work on pictures for the next update.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I tried downloading the picture fix but i'm still not seeing them.

I have the box built and bolted down to the frame, interior walls are cut and awaiting install after finishing up some interior wiring.

Local trailer dealer (linked earlier) has a guy working there who's family has a machine shop, dropped off my Jeep wheels this am to have the center bore enlarged to fit over the 3500lb axle hubs. My air compressor is a smaller Craftsman 25 gallon and cant keep up with an angle die grinder.. and i'm not getting any younger. :)

Looking ahead at bow assembly install, i'd like to find a source for a few bent sleeves before attempting to make my own. Anyone have a source for these pictured?

Attachments

• colorado bow sleeve.jpg
    colorado bow sleeve.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle