Colorado Camping with Small Children

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If the Ouray area interests you, maybe look into an area near Silverton. We go to a sweet little meadow at the end of Mineral Creek Road just west of Silverton. If you drive past the designated improved campground, you can drive back to South Park and enjoy a very solitary primative camp below big peaks, a nice creek, waterfals, and right at the Rico Silverton Trailhead. That puts you within a short drive of all the local attractions. I'm forever amazed how crowded that part of the state can be and how few people find that little meadow.

SPark.jpg

78ScoutII

I grew up in Hutchinson and went to college at CSU in Fort Collins. My pops and sister live in Fort Collins, so I'm up there twice a year.

As Brian pointed out, Estes Park is pretty great if you've never been. Lots of family friendly hikes, although it can be a bit crowded. The Mount Zirkle wilderness outside Steamboat might be worth a look as well. From Wichita you're a pretty easy drive over to southern Colorado. There's no shortage of places to explore around Durango and Pagosa. I will say, you have to get further west of the Front Range to find solitude than you did when I was a kid thirty years ago.

I have been to Estes and I think it would be a little too crowded for my taste. I will check out Mount Zirkle. Thanks!

78ScoutII

If the Ouray area interests you, maybe look into an area near Silverton. We go to a sweet little meadow at the end of Mineral Creek Road just west of Silverton. If you drive past the designated improved campground, you can drive back to South Park and enjoy a very solitary primative camp below big peaks, a nice creek, waterfals, and right at the Rico Silverton Trailhead. That puts you within a short drive of all the local attractions. I'm forever amazed how crowded that part of the state can be and how few people find that little meadow.

View attachment 51509

That sounds great....It would be really fun to take the kids on the Silverton Train too - that was one of my favorate moments as a youngster with my folks. Do you happen to have any more photos of the site?

Last edited:

Maddmatt

Explorer
As has been pointed out many times 'late spring / early summer' at altitude can mean anything from 80 degrees to a foot of snow, sometimes on the same day - so don't get too remote.

I love the Steamboat area, my kids (9 & 7 now) love camping at Steamboat lake, the Strawberry park hot springs are world class (and you can rent a 'cabin' surprisingly cheap - but don't expect too much other than warm and dry)

Here's a Steamboat Lake picture from labor day - below 20 degrees every night, but warm enough to swim in the lake during the day. This site was drive in, plus about a 100 yard walk - and had access to clean, warm, real toilets (with a pregnant woman and kids never over look the bathroom)

100_6359.jpg

Of course the Ouray/Durango/Telluride area is world class as well - but a bit higher in altitude, so will be colder.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That sounds great....It would be really fun to take the kids on the Silverton Train too - that was one of my favorate moments as a youngster with my folks. Do you happen to have any more photos of the site?
This spot is so awesome. We've been back to that spot maybe 7 times in 4 years. There are two amazing hikes right out of this meadow. There are very few parts of Colorado I haven't explored intimately, but this is a top 5 sorta spot.

Photos all from that meadow:
sf3.jpg sfork.jpg sf2.jpg

View attachment 51509

x2 on Silverton, MUCH less crowded and close enough to make the dirve to the Hot Springs in Ouray or to the train stop in Silverton. Also, Silverton is only a few degrees cooler than Ouray on any given day.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I like the area around St. Elmo. Just north west of Buena Vista. It is close to Mount Princeton Hot Springs, several hiking trails and good camping on the east side of Tin Cup Pass. Most stock 4wds can handle Tin Cup; however the top of the pass may be closed that time of the year. It is usually mid to late summer before the snow completely melts away. If it is open, head to Mirror Lake on the west side of the pass. Great place to spend the day fishing.

78ScoutII

Thanks everyone for all your help! I am leaning heavily to the Silverton area and after talking it over with my wife she seems to agree. There are so many good spots though it is going to be a hard final decision to make. At least i know one thing for sure though.......i have options for the next few years of camping vacations as all these mentioned spots look like a blast.

DurangoSteve

Adventurer
I think the Mineral Creek area is a longshot in late May-early June. We're having a pretty normal winter (above average snowfall so far), and there will likely be a lot of snow on the road that time of the year. For reference, the Ice Lakes Basin trailhead is 9850' elevation. The area your looking at is a little bit higher, probably closer to 10,000'.

We are currently in a "La Niña" weather pattern, which typically means that the big storms, especially spring storms, stay north. I would frequently check this website for info on the snowpack: http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow/watershed/current/daily/maps_graphs/swe_time.html Use the pull down menu for the San Juan, Animas, Dolores, San Miguel basin. We are currently at 130% of average snowfall. Check it in February, March and April. If it dips below average, that bodes well for accessing the Mineral Creek area. If it stays above average, I would suggest looking for a lower elevation basecamp. Check out the West Fork of the Dolores River. There's a good road that runs up it, it's lower altitude, and the river is very nice. There's good camping, hiking, and some offroad driving.

Mostly, you need to keep an eye on the snowpack. Access to the San Juan Mtns high country that early is pretty iffy. Good luck!

78ScoutII

I think the Mineral Creek area is a longshot in late May-early June. We're having a pretty normal winter (above average snowfall so far), and there will likely be a lot of snow on the road that time of the year. For reference, the Ice Lakes Basin trailhead is 9850' elevation. The area your looking at is a little bit higher, probably closer to 10,000'.

We are currently in a "La Niña" weather pattern, which typically means that the big storms, especially spring storms, stay north. I would frequently check this website for info on the snowpack: http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow/watershed/current/daily/maps_graphs/swe_time.html Use the pull down menu for the San Juan, Animas, Dolores, San Miguel basin. We are currently at 130% of average snowfall. Check it in February, March and April. If it dips below average, that bodes well for accessing the Mineral Creek area. If it stays above average, I would suggest looking for a lower elevation basecamp. Check out the West Fork of the Dolores River. There's a good road that runs up it, it's lower altitude, and the river is very nice. There's good camping, hiking, and some offroad driving.

Mostly, you need to keep an eye on the snowpack. Access to the San Juan Mtns high country that early is pretty iffy. Good luck!

That is very helpful, thanks! I will keep an eye on that website and plan accordingly.

I camp with five kids. We mostly camp on remote family owned property near Lyons (20 miles from Estes Park) and Alma (20 miles form Breckenridge) but we do venture out to other areas. There is a lot of good semi-remote camping just outside of Estes Park. Johnny Park and Pierson Park are both national forest roads that offer a great selection of places to set up camp. I highly recommend the Estes Park side of Pierson Park, there are a lot of flat open meadows to camp in (just perfect for kids). The higher elevation trails in Rocky Mountain National Park will be covered in snow but there will still be plenty to explore. RMNP is only about 20 minutes from Pierson Park. If the ladies get board when you're hiking they can explore Estes Park, it has some shops and excellent food.

Trails to hike: Loch Vale & Mills Lake, Fern Lake, Dream Lake, Alberta Falls

4x4 Trails: Johnny Park Road, Pierson Park Road, Caribou Creek, Bunce School Road

Estes Park: Poppy's (pizza and a great beer selection), Estes Park Mountain Shop (the best deals on outdoor gear you'll find), Stanley Hotel, Estes park Museum

Link to hiking trails: http://rockymountainnationalpark.com/pages/northeast_trails.html
Link to 4x4 trails and camping:http://www.traildamage.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78