Colorado Wheeler Geologic Area and Mtn Biking Adv. May 2023

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Over Memorial Day weekend last year I took off for another trip/adventure to continue to explore some of the backroads/trails in Colorado. On this trip I was planning to ride the Penitente Canyon - Boot Mountain Loop (approx 45 miles) and do some hiking back to the Wheeler Geologic area in southern Colorado. For the Boot Loop I started at the Penitente Canyon area (2 of 3 camping trips to this area) and would ride back as far as I was up to/could (45 miles was a bit ambitious for one day so I didn't have my hopes up). Up around the CR 36 I came across the only other individual trail that day who had also been out camping and biking in the area. They would join me on a short ride before we parted on our separate ways, they would continue down another trail and I would continue on the loop with hopes of completing the loop. Needless, to say I made it approximately 5 miles further before I ran out of steam, total distance traveled was somewhere in low 20 miles.

Area where I meet up with the other individual.

Ran out of steam in this area.

Quick detour on a shorter loop on my way back.

After lunch and change of clothes back at my vehicle I was off to my next stop the Wheeler Geologic area (another area that I've know about for awhile). Before making the decision to go back to area I was watching the road conditions due to the amount of moisture the area had received and according the FS website the road back from Hanson Mill CG was closed due to damage. However, you could still hike back to the area (approximately 14 miles round trip). I was little concerned about finding a campsite given that it was Memorial Day weekend but there was absolutely no one camping in the area, just two vehicles from other hikers. This would be the case into the following day where the only other people I saw on the trail was when I was 3/4 of the way back and group of vehicles that failed to read the closure sign and turned around at the closed gate while I was packing up.

Opted to sleep in the back of truck this night in lieu of my tent since the weather had me a little worried. I glad I did since around midnight it started raining and thundering/lighting with a little hail.

Campground to myself.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Wheeler Geologic area.

Lonely trail back to the campground.

Once back at my vehicle it was time for a little lunch and some rest before starting for home.

Parting views.

Overall, I can't complain it was great trip and I look forward at some point in the future to return to both areas to continue to explore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior