Colorado ZR2 Airbags

Lost Roadie

I'm not sure if it's a just a software thing or a combination of that and hardware. GM probably knows why's it's happened from all the data they get from the investigation, but will not share of course.
Seems like there multiple ways for GM to fix this; a disable switch like toyota, a software change to greatly increase the threshold for deployment when in off road mode, etc. - if they are motivated to do so.

Pulling the fuse is lame, until there's a better fix it's the best option to avoid the lengthly and costly repairs though.
It's an excursion ending incident since you also lose the ability to use the seatbelts.
Minimum one month repair - mine took 6 weeks. (time to schedule "independent investigation" which is anything but, time to review, time to decide if GM is covering it, and in my case, time to start all over again with insurance once GM denied the claim. Then backordered parts, wrong connectors ordered and so on.

If you actually drive a ZR2 off tarmac, pull the fuse to avoid a real mess, and keep pressure on GM for a fix. Posting on their social media, emailing and calling customer support, etc.

We shouldn't have to do this of course, but right now it is what it is and besides this airbag thing the ZR2 is a wonderful truck that has proven to take anything I throw at it. With fuse #18 pulled....

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
I honestly can’t believe GM won’t fix most of them. Especially after a demo rig did it on video while a reporter was driving.

That’s just negligent.

The sad thing is, it usually takes a very serious injury to trigger a recall. Manufacturers actually have actuarial scientists on payroll that calculate the cost of fighting claims and lawsuits vs recalls and unless the former costs more, the latter will never happen.

Might be approaching class action lawsuit time in order to be made whole again. Especially since so many people are openly stating it happened to them through forums and such.

I’d reach out to others that have experienced the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Roadie

The sad thing is, it usually takes a very serious injury to trigger a recall. Manufacturers actually have actuarial scientists on payroll that calculate the cost of fighting claims and lawsuits vs recalls and unless the former costs more, the latter will never happen.

This.

Imagine what will happen if you happen to have your head out the window, like when self spotting, when the side curtain airbags go off ?....

Considering the amount of negative press this is generating I'm hoping GM comes up with a fix before someone gets hurt or killed. A google search pulls up numerous auto media outlets running similar stories.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
This.

Imagine what will happen if you happen to have your head out the window, like when self spotting, when the side curtain airbags go off ?....

Considering the amount of negative press this is generating I'm hoping GM comes up with a fix before someone gets hurt or killed. A google search pulls up numerous auto media outlets running similar stories.

Didn’t think about self spotting. Dude, that could be tragic.

Cruiser

Adventurer
Kinda wheelin that white truck hard. Time to get some more grippy tires so you can slow down a bit.

Still not hard enough for airbags, but lolz, that's poetic.
That white truck happened up near me a couple weeks ago at a charity event. Small world.

Watt maker

This.

That exact thing happened to a former neighbor of mine in his Titan. Going down a fairly easy hill, stuck his head out the window and boom, they went off. Truck was only a week old. Initially he didn’t think he was hurt but it ended up messing up his neck and back from it. If I remember correctly, his son, who was riding in the back seat also had some minor injuries. Those airbags are no joke.

Similar issue in my CTS-V Wagon. GM marketed the CTS-V as track-capable, but there have been several side curtain deployments in autocross and track-day events. Now I pull the fuse when I'm at a track day - but I'd really prefer to have them active if I ever find myself heading into the scenery at high speed :(

travisn000

In case anyone hasn't heard, there is now a recall for this issue:

• GM Program #:
  • N182191300
  • Date Issued:
  • Nov 08, 2018
Program Title:
Unwanted Roof-Rail Air Bag Deployments While Off-Roading
Program Description:
In 2017 - 2019 model year Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 vehicles, certain types of off-road use can, in rare cases, cause the vehicle’s roof-rail airbags and seatbelt pretensioners to deploy.

Repair Description:
Dealers will reprogram the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) with updated software.

hobbsrt

yep, there is a recall. I took mine in and the update didn't take so they called GM and they don't have an answer yet. Hoping they have it in the next week or so.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
That recall just got posted to dealers today. We have a 19 ZR2 that just showed up last week I need to run the update on before we can sell it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Good to see GM addressing the issue. Other than the few instances of air bags going off, the Colorado really seems to have earned its reputation as a solid midsized pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger