Colorado ZR2 Bison Build

Rook213

Hey eveyone. I am just getting into overlanding and I'm starting my first build. As the title of the thread states, I'm working with a 2022 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison. I'm looking into getting an A.R.E. Overlanding topper and an RTT to start. Any ideas or advice for the build would be greatly appreciated. I'll send pictures after I get off work tonight.

emulous74

I suggest also looking and asking at zr2zone and coloradofans as many of us there have your specific vehicle.

I would suggest researching the static load limits (weight) and dynamic load limits on the topper you are looking for. Materials usually range from Fiberglass, Aluminum and Stainless Steel. Fiberglass doesn't tend to do well off-road and usually has the lowest limits. As to the RTT, you also need to think about weight, how many do you need to sleep in it, is wedge or foldout styles meet your requirements in ease of setup and breakdown and cost is always an issue. The choices are great in both those areas, so determining your requirements first will help you in your choice.

YetiX

I suggest also looking and asking at zr2zone and coloradofans as many of us there have your specific vehicle.

I would suggest researching the static load limits (weight) and dynamic load limits on the topper you are looking for. Materials usually range from Fiberglass, Aluminum and Stainless Steel. Fiberglass doesn't tend to do well off-road and usually has the lowest limits. As to the RTT, you also need to think about weight, how many do you need to sleep in it, is wedge or foldout styles meet your requirements in ease of setup and breakdown and cost is always an issue. The choices are great in both those areas, so determining your requirements first will help you in your choice.
emulous knows of what he speaks. I wouldn't carry an RTT on a fiberglass shell. Also, have you considered a Go Fast Camper shell? Or an Alu-Cab? Or any of the other shells that have the RTT built in? They may seem a bit expensive, but when you add the cost of the RTT and shell together, the cost is not out of line at all and has added advantages.

Rook213

emulous knows of what he speaks. I wouldn't carry an RTT on a fiberglass shell. Also, have you considered a Go Fast Camper shell? Or an Alu-Cab? Or any of the other shells that have the RTT built in? They may seem a bit expensive, but when you add the cost of the RTT and shell together, the cost is not out of line at all and has added advantages.

I've thought about getting one. They are a possibility. I just know I want a hard shell tent. Thought of doing a Alu-Cab or GFC topper too. I'm still working out everything. Many of the builds i've seen use elevated bed rails and an RTT but I'm not keen on the idea of my bed being unsecured. That's why I'm leaning Alu-cab or FGC ow. I didn't notice that the A.R.E. Overland topper was still fiberglass. I'm gonna look more into this. As of right now though, my truck is in the shop and I have more time to do more research!!!

Rook213

After much research, i've decided to go the topper + RTT route. I was able to jump on a Roofnest Condor XL for $2500. So now i'm looking at options for a good topper.

emulous74

I ended up going with the RLD Designs topper being that it's stainless steel in the fewest pieces and the highest dynamic weight. I ordered mine in Feb 2021 and didn't get it until Late August / Early September 2021. I've been very happy with it in terms of build quality and looks. I wouldn't suggest going with their platform options nor their Drop-Down Table Kit. Even their Load bars, which you will need to install that RTT. None of those items are industry standards and makes for installing things more difficult. I have since replace their platform/load bars with Rhino Rack items.

Another good choice is the Alu-Cab Canopy.

Rook213

How is the RLD mounted? Is it clamp on?
Also here is my Bison. Still stock at the moment.

Attachments

• E4D424ED-F867-4221-B623-7BAD4483603C.jpeg
    E4D424ED-F867-4221-B623-7BAD4483603C.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 28C4ABBB-66F9-4653-A12D-864B702A0AE7.jpeg
    28C4ABBB-66F9-4653-A12D-864B702A0AE7.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 32

Rook213

So another question I have. My exhaust sits lower than the bumper. Any advice on how to route it so it’s not effecting clearance?

skyfree

So another question I have. My exhaust sits lower than the bumper. Any advice on how to route it so it’s not effecting clearance?
Usually people just take off the bottom of it at an angle rather than going custom. FWIW, I've done lots of light crawling in my ZR2 and only recently dented the pipe a little. It looks precarious but in practice you have to be pretty aggressive to take damage. It can be straightened back out with vice grips.

emulous74

The RLD bolts into the bedrails, you'll have to drill six holes. I figure I can just replace the plastic rail caps if I take it off.

If you have a diesel, Chevy makes an exhaust tip relocation kit: https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/vehicle-upgrades/colorado/exhaust

I have a diesel and went with AFE Power DPF back exhaust

49-44100-b_1_1.1629742870.jpg

They make Hi-tuck full exhausts for the gas models.

Rook213

I do like how clean that looks though. I've decided to go with an open bed and got the CBI bed rack. I'm gonna start small. I do have a Roofnest Condor XL I'll be putting on top when it comes in. The bed rack has a lead time of 4 weeks. I hopefully should get it before the holidays.

emulous74

Best way is to start small, go out with what you have and you will see and learn what you need to do next rather than what you'd like to do next. Bed racks are a good way to go. I had a Leitner Bed Rack prior and do miss a lot about it.

Rook213

That's good advice. I am going to piece things together as i need them. The biggest thing I need to figure out is how to lay out things as i get them so that it is the most useful.

Rook213

Alright l, so I got my CBI Fabrications bed rack and Roofnest Confor XL installed. The RTT does hang over a bit but I am planning on putting a hitch mounted spare tire holder. I can tolerate it.

Attachments

• 00A7776F-C63A-4EF8-BF97-72117D932F2F.jpeg
    00A7776F-C63A-4EF8-BF97-72117D932F2F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 1848D624-2870-447A-ACBE-3A11949D1851.jpeg
    1848D624-2870-447A-ACBE-3A11949D1851.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 64

emulous74

Looks, good, but a word of warning with that RTT being cantilevered over the back, you are screwing with center of gravity and weight distribution. Definitely do not tow with the RTT on it like that, and be careful with how much weight you have going to the back. While there haven't been many bent frames on a ZR2, all the ones I've seen have had to much weight past the bed. With that setup I would mount your spare in the bed as close to the cab, rather than a hitch mount carrier.

I would also suggest seeing if CBI offers cross bar lifters (I know Leitner does) so that you can shift the weight of the RTT forward above the cab.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see you go down a dangerous path with the way the weight is being distributed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998