Colour photos from the great depression.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Funny, I saw those today too!

I was searching for another group of Library of Congress images and saw these... thanks for posting the link!

Toyotero

Explorer
Cool images... and you are right about how the color makes them feel less distant. B&W is used these days to make images seem more epic or something, color makes them seem more real (all IMHO of course).

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Great link, thanks Trevor. That link has many of the images seen in "Bound for Glory- America in Color" published in 2004 by Harry N Abrams - ISBN-13: 978-0810943483

A number of color images (from the Farm Service Administration and the Office of War Information) in the thirties and early forties, were collated and published in "Bound for Glory - America in Color"

Included are images by Russell Lee, John Vachon, Jack Delano, Marion Post Walcott, John Collier, Lousie Rosskam, Andreas Feininger, Alfred T Palmer, and others. All in color, even though we all tend to think of images from the 30s and 40s as always being in B&W.

Almost all of these images were shot in Kodachrome with its classic color rendering. The images of small town America prior to WWII speak to me because they so resemble the small towns of my childhood in the 50s and the film I grew up shooting was Kodachrome. I still like its deep shadows and saturated colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior