Colt History

keezer37

Explorer
A friend found this while seeing to the personal effects of a relative that passed. He almost sold it a couple months back (I thought he had) as two dealers made him offers on it. Good for him he didn't. Offers went from 3 to 10k so far. He knows as much about guns as I do but I do love anything old with a story behind it. The story is still unfolding. Currently Colt is researching it so hopefully he'll know sometime soon who exactly it was issued to. Perhaps that will just be the start of the story.
If anyone has any particular knowledge, I'd love to hear it.

Sorry, I've only a cell phone for pics. I thought some of you might be interested in this. I'm not sure of the source of the info below but I'm sure it will shake out after the research is done.

Supposedly this is 1 of 166 made for the New York Militia and came from the manufacturer with a trigger guard for a 32 cal. as they ran out of 45 trigger guards so he's told. It's marked as such. Circa 1881.

This was my favorite. Not visable in the photo is the vertigris on some of the rounds. Cool.

This photo makes the holster look more dried out than it actually is. Supposedly 1 of 144 made.

brushogger

Explorer
Very cool. That was a smart thing getting the research from Colt to verify its provenance. I had an 1851 London model that I wanted to have them research, but do to a fire years ago, they had no records for them. I've seen Colt letters actually double the value of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears