Comando on 40's

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
My friend Chuck drove to Salt Lake City to buy his "new to him" "built" Jeep Comando. As part of his shake down of the new monster this past Sunday we took in Pilot Rock, the "X" trail and then ran over to Dishpan Springs, Willow Creek and then finished up with Holcum Creek. ( All in the San Bernardino Mountains) Starting at 11:30 am on Sunday it was almost dark when we finished.

IMG_0695.jpg

This was my first time on Holcum since it was re-opened after the fire and loads of winter damage, quite a bit different than it was last time I ran it, 6 years ago. Some big rocks to climb over now.

Chuck in the new Jeep Comando, made even the big rocks seemed small while driving on 40's.

Here he is on one of the tougher parts of Dishpan:

The Boulder Field on the later part of Holcum was a "walk in the Park" for him.

I in my XJ along with Jeff in his Tacoma run 35's and did a lot of bouncing and banging on Holcum:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Bodo

Adventurer
With that paint job he should dress it up for Halloween. Cool vids but I don't see anything very challenging.

Do you have anything positive to say about anything anyone posts? Your negativity and confrontational posts are getting old. This isn't Pirate4x4 or NAXJA.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Thanks for the pics Fred, would you say these trails were tougher than John Bull? That shot of the boulder field looks it!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Do you have anything positive to say about anything anyone posts? Your negativity and confrontational posts are getting old. This isn't Pirate4x4 or NAXJA.

seconded.

re the commando: Awesome. I've always had a soft spot for those beasts...

DarinM

Explorer
seconded.

re the commando: Awesome. I've always had a soft spot for those beasts...

Thirded on the negativity and sniping.

Seconded on the commando. I had a friend in high school that had one that was bone stock and in pristine condition. Loved it!

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
John Bull Trail

Thanks for the pics Fred, would you say these trails were tougher than John Bull? That shot of the boulder field looks it!

I know John Bull is rated as the tougher trail in the San Bernardino mountains in most books, with the "gate keeper" at the west end it does have it's challanges. At least for me the rocks on the repaired sections of Holcum were every bit as challenging. On Dishpan the hard climb and wierd off camber section has a drive around, but I consider this little section of Dishpan when you choose the harder line tougher than John Bull.

Why not check it out for yourself and have a great time? :ylsmoke:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

BEVAN

Adventurer

Ditto, The reason I like Expo is the fact that it does not have the "Web-Wheeling" Tool's that all other sites seem to have. Grow ******** or go somewhere else.

Back on topic... You dont see those Comando's to often...The amount of put in is impressive.

Last edited:

Palmetto

Heck, I don't give a rats ***** about where it is wheeling.

That is a cool Commando! We rarely see those anymore, and this one is built!

Thanks for the thread!

wjeeper

Not to stir the pot and mess up the OP's thread further but there is a simple way to deal with Mr. Negativity if you so desire:
  • Click "Settings" (next to Log Out)
  • Click "Edit Ignore List" (Under "My Settings" on the left hand side of the screen)
  • Enter the username of Mr. Negitivity/ doesn't play well with others.
  • Click "Okay"
  • Enjoy EXPO again without ever again having to read posts from Mr. Negivity and his snide remarks again:coffee:

Have fun complaining Black_ZJ, I cant hear you anymore:elkgrin:

BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND:
Do You happen to know what year that Commando is?

If memory serves me right this style of cammando was a 72-73 only body style......but I could easily be wrong.

I have seen this rig several times in the SLC area, but always heading the opposide direction I was.........I wanna see more pics/ video! It always struck me as being a very capable looking rig. Also one of the very few rigs that I have loved with an exo-cage.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
66-71 Jeepster Commandos had the more "traditional" style grilles. 1972-73 were the only years for the "bull nose" Commando (they dropped the Jeepster badgeing) and are a love/hate asthetically for commando lovers. Personally I feel the 72-73 had far better mechanicals than the first gens. Available with a factory V8, Saginaw power steering, and disc brakes up front! I've owned both styles and can appreciate them for their differences.

TroutSafari

Thanks for the info. I have run into a couple of those for sale in the past few months. I have never given them a second look. Next time I see one I will have to stop just to get a bit more familliar with that model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger