Combining Portable and Fixed Panels

3FIndustries

Hello, im currently working on a trailer project.. and have now come to a phase where i need to educate myself in solar.. I work as a manufacturing and design engineer, but have virtually no experience when it comes to solar.. I have opted to now go down the route of fixed batteries inside my trailer, due to the fact that i love the flexibility and multi-use capability of the portable power stations.. With that being said, i opted for an EcoFlow Delta 2 & extra delta 2 battery.. I am currently designing a roof rack in CAD, that will allow me to mount a RTT on top of this trailer as well as just enough room to dimensionally clear ONE 200 Watt panel, that is roughly 30x50... In my simple mind, i feel like my next plan is relatively straight forward.. I would like to also purchase one or two portable panels, For example; an ecoflow portable 200 watt panel.. I would like to hard wire the roof top fixed panel in, so i can plug the powerstation in, inside of the trailer... BUT also have the ability to combine the portable panel when i need to.. Whether that be with an externally mounted plug, a splitter etc...
I have another powerstation that id like to also be able to use the portable panel with, hence having the flexibilty of the portable panel.

My question is, what things should i be looking for? I notice alot of talk of voltages etc... Is this as simple as im thinking? i really have no desire to "power a house" with my solar setup, just want something flexible, simple, and adaptable.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Simple requires you to use the solar generators separately, both can be used, just power up appliances separately.

The panels can be wired in series or parallel, depending on the input the ecoflow or other packs will accept.

I have a Bluetti 2000+ unit tied to 400 watts of fixed panels, I have a bluetti eb3a, about 700 watts used with a flexible portable 200 watt panel.

Simple means just keep things set up and plug in to the appropriate source as needed, my AC goes to the 2000+ unit, my cell phone charges off the eb3a.

3FIndustries

Simple requires you to use the solar generators separately, both can be used, just power up appliances separately.

The panels can be wired in series or parallel, depending on the input the ecoflow or other packs will accept.

I have a Bluetti 2000+ unit tied to 400 watts of fixed panels, I have a bluetti eb3a, about 700 watts used with a flexible portable 200 watt panel.

Simple means just keep things set up and plug in to the appropriate source as needed, my AC goes to the 2000+ unit, my cell phone charges off the eb3a.
My point was both solar generators may not be in the same location. I want to be able to combine both a fixed panel and a portable panel to charge my primary ecoflow. And just be able to somehow unplug the portable from the system to charge the secondary generator once in awhile.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
My point was both solar generators may not be in the same location. I want to be able to combine both a fixed panel and a portable panel to charge my primary ecoflow. And just be able to somehow unplug the portable from the system to charge the secondary generator once in awhile.

Most likely you can't connect ecoflow generators "together" as each has it's own charge controllers that limit charging and inverters that limit output. Some units allow "pass through" operations, generally used for emergency backup or with medical equipment, check with the maker.

Not only do they not need to be connected together, they would not be to be portable and you simply match the appliance to be used to the unit that is most appropriate.

My 2000 unit powers a string of outlets for the trailer, one bluetti outlet powers 3 15 amp outles from a fuse box, same thing for the second bluetti outlet powering another outlet strip. Power into the fuse box is just plugged into the power unit, it can be unplugged and taken away. You could have another circuit powered up by a smaller pack. If you do mix units going through a fuse box, mark outlets so you don't keep tripping fuses or blowing circuits.

DO NOT GROUND OUTLET BOXES TO YOUR TRAILER! The solar generators has an electrical ground, an actual earth ground should be used from the box when the trailer is parked if possible. Study marine electrical systems, not home wiring.

3FIndustries

Most likely you can't connect ecoflow generators "together" as each has it's own charge controllers that limit charging and inverters that limit output. Some units allow "pass through" operations, generally used for emergency backup or with medical equipment, check with the maker.

Not only do they not need to be connected together, they would not be to be portable and you simply match the appliance to be used to the unit that is most appropriate.

My 2000 unit powers a string of outlets for the trailer, one bluetti outlet powers 3 15 amp outles from a fuse box, same thing for the second bluetti outlet powering another outlet strip. Power into the fuse box is just plugged into the power unit, it can be unplugged and taken away. You could have another circuit powered up by a smaller pack. If you do mix units going through a fuse box, mark outlets so you don't keep tripping fuses or blowing circuits.

DO NOT GROUND OUTLET BOXES TO YOUR TRAILER! The solar generators has an electrical ground, an actual earth ground should be used from the box when the trailer is parked if possible. Study marine electrical systems, not home wiring.
I appreciate all the advice, I just believe we are on separate pages. I have no desire to hook generators together. I have an ecoflow that also has an add on battery, and I have a Jackery. I’m simply asking about a way to plug in a fixed panel and a portable panel to charge ONE solar generator at a time. My ecoflow is for the trailer. My jackery stays

llamalander

One issue that might complicate things is when solar panels of dissimilar voltages are combined, performance is usually stuck at the capacity of the least productive panel. If you have the same portable panel as the one you fix on the trailer, then you can choose to run the mounted panel alone or add the second in parallel--by making* a plug that connects the portable positive to the mounted positive and the portable negative to the mounted negative. Alone, the trailer produces 200w at 12v (nominal). With the portable, the system has 400w at 12v.

Looking on A**zon, an MC4 branch connector search will find you the adaptors you probably need if that is how panels are connected to the power station. The product specs for the Delta 2 say it can accept up to 500w of solar, but the description of the 220w ecoFlow panels implies they are too much for the Delta (perhaps not the Delta 2?). Call/write to the company to confirm what you want to do, but basically run the same panel on the trailer as on the ground and plug in one, the other, or both when your situation allows it.

3FIndustries

One issue that might complicate things is when solar panels of dissimilar voltages are combined, performance is usually stuck at the capacity of the least productive panel. If you have the same portable panel as the one you fix on the trailer, then you can choose to run the mounted panel alone or add the second in parallel--by making* a plug that connects the portable positive to the mounted positive and the portable negative to the mounted negative. Alone, the trailer produces 200w at 12v (nominal). With the portable, the system has 400w at 12v.

Looking on A**zon, an MC4 branch connector search will find you the adaptors you probably need if that is how panels are connected to the power station. The product specs for the Delta 2 say it can accept up to 500w of solar, but the description of the 220w ecoFlow panels implies they are too much for the Delta (perhaps not the Delta 2?). Call/write to the company to confirm what you want to do, but basically run the same panel on the trailer as on the ground and plug in one, the other, or both when your situation allows it.
Ah, okay. That’s what I was finding as well, about the dissimilar voltages. I’ve read, that if the “numbers” are close it isn’t much to fret, and doesn’t decrease efficiency or “safety” all that much. That true? When you say the same panel… is it the exact same physical panel? Or would I be safe at least matching brands. Maybe an ecoflow fixed and an ecoflow portable. Which I’m open to looking for. I know renogy makes decent fixed and portable.

From what I know, the delta 2 accepts (11-60V, 15A, 500W max) for solar input.

I was originally hoping to use the following.

Fixed panel: Acopower 200w panel (primarily due to its black color, fits my aesthetic) which claims 22.1voc.

Portable panel: renogy portable 200w which claims 23.4voc.

But I appreciate the info, and I follow your train of thought, this solar stuff is a lot to take in up front!

oldnslow

Observer
Ah, okay. That’s what I was finding as well, about the dissimilar voltages. I’ve read, that if the “numbers” are close it isn’t much to fret, and doesn’t decrease efficiency or “safety” all that much. That true? When you say the same panel… is it the exact same physical panel? Or would I be safe at least matching brands. Maybe an ecoflow fixed and an ecoflow portable. Which I’m open to looking for. I know renogy makes decent fixed and portable.

From what I know, the delta 2 accepts (11-60V, 15A, 500W max) for solar input.

I was originally hoping to use the following.

Fixed panel: Acopower 200w panel (primarily due to its black color, fits my aesthetic) which claims 22.1voc.

Portable panel: renogy portable 200w which claims 23.4voc.

But I appreciate the info, and I follow your train of thought, this solar stuff is a lot to take in up front!

Since those two panels are close enough in voltage, you can connect them in parallel. When you want the portable elsewhere just unplug it - it can really be that simple. They don't need to be the same brand, just similar in voltage. The Vmp voltage is what you want to look at - if they are off by more than a volt or so you will lose a small amount of power but it will be very small if they are within a few volts. Some of the larger panels (especially those used on houses) will have a Vmp of 24V or more - avoid those.

I have an Ecoflow Delta 2 and a Jackery 300. I have the 200W roof panels routed down to the electrical area and ending in an Anderson Powerpole connector. I have an external connector for the 100W portable panel that also ends in an Anderson. I can connect the roof to the Ecoflow and the portable to the Jackery, or I can connect both panels through an Anderson 'Y' connector to the Ecoflow. The 300W Jackery is limited to 100W so it can't be connected to the roof panels.

3FIndustries

Since those two panels are close enough in voltage, you can connect them in parallel. When you want the portable elsewhere just unplug it - it can really be that simple. They don't need to be the same brand, just similar in voltage. The Vmp voltage is what you want to look at - if they are off by more than a volt or so you will lose a small amount of power but it will be very small if they are within a few volts. Some of the larger panels (especially those used on houses) will have a Vmp of 24V or more - avoid those.

I have an Ecoflow Delta 2 and a Jackery 300. I have the 200W roof panels routed down to the electrical area and ending in an Anderson Powerpole connector. I have an external connector for the 100W portable panel that also ends in an Anderson. I can connect the roof to the Ecoflow and the portable to the Jackery, or I can connect both panels through an Anderson 'Y' connector to the Ecoflow. The 300W Jackery is limited to 100W so it can't be connected to the roof panels.
This is exactly what I was wanting! Thank you very much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior