Comfort Camp food

bullsac

Observer
One constant for us was dough wrapped around a stick and cooked over an open fire. With butter and homemade marmalades.

Homemade Jerky

Cases of Lucky Lager and Olympia(dad). They both had the picture word game under the cap. Not sure the correct name of it right now..

rusty_tlc

Explorer
bullsac said:
One constant for us was dough wrapped around a stick and cooked over an open fire. With butter and homemade marmalades.

Homemade Jerky

Cases of Lucky Lager and Olympia(dad). They both had the picture word game under the cap. Not sure the correct name of it right now..
Rebus.
I remember them from Brown Derby beer, we could get that for around $3.50 a 12 pack when I was young. The puzzels were pretty easy at first but got tough as the night wore on. Funny how that worked.:xxrotflma

The bread on stick thing was always good too. Buisquik is the best invention ever.

uphill

Observer
I'm sure that I'd have a different opinion of it today, but canned corn beef hash fried eggs (pre-broken, packed in a jar) and some kind of canned bread - I don't remember what kind - been a long time. It sure tasted good in the morning when I was a kid.

My grandpa made his own wine. It would power a jet, a rocket, anything that needed a blue flame. He'd sneak me a drink.

1speed

Explorer
Vienna sausage roasted on a stick in the campfire, Dinty Moore beef stew, Frito Pie, coffee eggs and bacon in the morning.

SunMan

Adventurer
bullsac said:
Bag of Fritos
Can of Chili
Chopped onions
Sour cream
Canned Jalepenos

Is our oldtime recipe.

We used to call that Chili Surprise, the surprise coming the next day!
Haven't had that in years.

Thinking way back to my first camping experiences, I remember "blackened pancakes with white gas syrup" coffee grounds with a touch of water (yes, even as a very young child I was hopped up on the bean), plenty of trail mix, and home-packed tubes of crema de cacahuete y mermelada. My dad always packed a ziplock bag of cornmeal and garlic to fry fish in as well, and this item is now typically found in my kit.

Just thinking about those terrible pancakes and coffee makes me want to go camping right now. :coffeedrink:

Thought of another one from some of my first "no parents" camping: Bisquick and a tiny bit of water. Make a really thick dough, wrap it around a stick, hold/rotate over fire. Outcome: "campfire bread"... mmmmm (well, at least when you're a kid it's good)

Last edited:

dlbrunner

Adventurer
Hunters stew.

Ground beef, sliced taters, onions, carrots, season salt all wrapped up in foil and tossed in the fire.

I remember the blackened pancakes with white gas syrup! LOL! Don't forget the powder surprise in those pancakes

sdperry

Overland Chef

Spam, pineapple, baked beens. It's amazing what tastes good outdoors. Maybe it's the paper plates.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
They sell this stuff at our local Acme called "Maryland Crap Soup Mix" in the frozen food isle. It's green beans, corn, carrots, and celery added into a mouth-tantalizing seasoning. They go on sale for some $2- a bag so I seem to stock up. USUALLY, we're hunting when we're out camping on the weekend(s) so most of my memories with buddies from early teen years is duck or goose diced and thrown into the soup mix in a pot over the fire... Then Mr. Daniels after supper to forget about how much we just binged...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
FshTaco99 said:
They sell this stuff at our local Acme called "Maryland Crap Soup Mix" in the frozen food isle. It's green beans, corn, carrots, and celery added into a mouth-tantalizing seasoning. They go on sale for some $2- a bag so I seem to stock up. USUALLY, we're hunting when we're out camping on the weekend(s) so most of my memories with buddies from early teen years is duck or goose diced and thrown into the soup mix in a pot over the fire... Then Mr. Daniels after supper to forget about how much we just binged...
Crap Soup?

Must be an East coast thing. :xxrotflma

rusty_tlc

Explorer
1speed said:
bullsac said:
Bag of Fritos
Can of Chili
Chopped onions
Sour cream
Canned Jalepenos

Is our oldtime recipe.
Don't forget the shredded Monterey Jack cheese! :chowtime:
I see. I could eat that.
Do you layer it like a casserole of just mix it all up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears