Coming soon, overland, hardside trailer... advice welcome

superbuickguy

Explorer
I've had just about every type of camper known to mankind. Class A, Class C, 5th wheel, travel, tent, RTT... what's funny is I seem to be going the opposite direction of my parents (I'm almost 50) in their campers got bigger as they got older (oh yeah, forgot, I temporarily owned a converted greyhound bus - used it once) I've been going downward in size. I've no need for a TV, but I want room to sleep with my wife and my mastiff inside - everything else outside
like these
http://i1.wp.com/www.flightlesskiwis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_0468.jpg?resize=580,386

I've been collecting/building my overland rig - many here has seen my current one -

but the next one is this (that will be done soon... I swear)

so the trailer... has to be light enough to tow behind a FJ40 without making my wife scared
it has to keep the bugs out and a bed large enough for us... and it may need a kennel underneath for the pups (just thought of that, but a bit of dog-enclosure and that would be a perfect spot for our K9s.

flat roof on the trailer so that I can carry bikes and such along with an opening kitchen in the back.... I also need on-board water, in all of my backcountry stuff, I've never run out of gas but I have come too close to running out of potable water.

So suggestions.... it will be a "lifted" trailer with an awning like the picture above and I expect the tailgate would lift and be kitchen-cook protection (I'm the cook, so it has to work and be taller then 6-1)

I'm seriously considering building the frame out of aluminum with insulation - also I'd like windows ....

but I've never had one, so what else should I be thinking about?

what ones do you folks like? (pictures, if possible, please).

I will have the FJ40 done soon (by soon I mean before Christmas) and I want the trailer done before I go to the NWOverland Rally in hell... I mean at the end of June.

Box Rocket

Subbed. I'm not sure what to suggest for "off-the-shelf" trailers. If it were me with your criteria I'd be looking at a Moby1 Trailer or a SoCal Teardrop. But the reality is that you'll probably need to do a custom build to get all the features you're after. Who am I kidding? I'm just here for the sweet FJ40. :)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice Jeep....:ylsmoke:

Kinda was in the same boat a few years back...ended up going through two builds to get to the right animal.

Started off small...went big, then bigger, and made the transition back to small, and everything spiralled out of control from there.

Aluminum, at the end of the day, holds all your required needs, experiences as the 40 as the TV.

Nothing beats a hard sided camper for sleeping in.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Subbed. I'm not sure what to suggest for "off-the-shelf" trailers. If it were me with your criteria I'd be looking at a Moby1 Trailer or a SoCal Teardrop. But the reality is that you'll probably need to do a custom build to get all the features you're after. Who am I kidding? I'm just here for the sweet FJ40. :)

that's weird, I originally started posting my build on the '40 on here but no one seemed interested... it is on ih8mud under "shipwreck" if you want to see details.

I do like the Moby trailers, but I don't like the 20k plus price tag - though if I had the money to burn, I'd buy before I'd build and that would be what I'd buy.

Nice Jeep....:ylsmoke:

Kinda was in the same boat a few years back...ended up going through two builds to get to the right animal.

heh the FJ40 really is a Jeep parading as an FJ :elkgrin: at this point there are more parts built by Jeep (though it would be more correct to say Dana) then Toyota on it. I like the '40 box because it fits me far better then a Jeep. Though with that said, I'm a pretty racially diverse family. So beside the Hummer you see in the first picture and the FJ40, my wife has a Jeep Rubicon and I have a Land Rover D2 that I've put a 300 TDI in and 5 speed....

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm kind of in the same boat... Done with the roof top tent. Growing family and planing for a longer trip next year. I'm currently in the planing stages for a 4 season camping trailer that can handle rough roads, offers enough room for 3 to hang out, has a fixed bed and seating area, rugged enough to mount the roof top tent for extra guests or for hot summer days. On top of that I want to construct it so it can also be mounted on a flat bed a couple years down the road. Basically, build it ones and have it a lifetime. Without going overboard on fancy heaters, water pumps and such I'm sure it could be done for under $15.000. I should mention that I'm not planing of "selling" those trailers... This is just something I want for myself :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
I like the total composites concept - but again... cost. I'm thinking aluminum 1" square tubing and using foam panels inside the walls for insulation... but I wonder if that's enough? I don't imagine needing a 4 season, but 3 season comfort would be nice

I don't know if the FJ40 will be done by June, but I also wouldn't bet against me...
This took a year

and the only thing I didn't do was take the shell off the frame.... all on evenings and weekends. That's new suspension, new motor (I built), new trans, differential, interior, paint....

I tend to get stuff done pretty quickly.
This was August, last year

that's the 3 link/4 link suspension under the vehicle at this point, and I'm (hoping) to line the body and maybe even paint the body this weekend
sadly I don't have a good over-all view of where the body is now

but that gives you the idea. The tunnel has been narrowed, dash has been revamped to allow installation of a computer in that center box, vent removed... you know, quick stuff to get done.

I'm asking these questions now because I really do plan on being done in June and getting a solid grasp of wall strength/construction, sizing, and load distribution is really important so that I can order the material and hit the ground running....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just for ideas and giggles check out the new Tiger Moth idea the Cricket trailer designer just came up with. Its too small for the family but is an interesting spin on the smaller offroad trailer ideas. Pull out kitchen, gear stowage, and hard sided sleeping accomidations sorta a RTT alternate Idea. Worth a look regarding ideas.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I like a lot of those ideas

I'm not a fan of wood on RVs, around here, you can buy a lot of really new RV equipment and a falling-down shell of what was an RV. Humidity and cold just are not its friend. Wood is a good medium to build because it's quick, inexpensive and strong. It's not moisture proof(and I wonder what "aircraft grade plywood" means) nor is it terribly light. Which is the other thing, all of those drawers add a lot of weight - with a drawer you have to support the weight twice. First in whatever's in the drawer then second in the vehicle it's riding in. I built a bunch of kennels for K9 SAR and I started with wood.... now I either use steel or aluminum because it lasts longer and is generally lighter when you weigh completed vs. completed.

And with that said, I think it's a neat design idea to make the bed a dining area that is more weather-proof...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12